Menu

easy beginner chapter books

genny

I want to buy some easy chapter books for dd ... so far I have 'The littles' and 'The Boxcar Children' ... I want free shipping:tongue_smilie: any other suggestions??? I'm looking for something around 2nd grade level .. clean, no ghosts/magic and has a decent plot...

TIA

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were looking for chapter books. Not quite sure that Frog and Toad fit that bill. But my kids really loved them!:D Me too!

How about the Thornton Burgess books. He wrote books like The Adventures of Peter Cottontail, The Adventures of Poor Mrs. Quack, and The Adventures of Grandfather Frog, ect..

AL

An author named Daisy Meadows has about a kajillion fairy books around that grade level. They are the books that really got my daughter reading chapter books.

Geronimo Stilton are also a great transition book, as use of color, illustration, and font choice in the books tricks the child into not realizing they are actually reading chapter books. This is great if they are intimidated by "walls of text" (even if the walls of text are AT their reading level.)

Other girl-approved books in our house in the K-2 range chapter book: My Secret Unicorn, Magic Puppy, Magic Kitten, Ivy & Bean, Magic Treehouse, Cam Jansen Mysteries, (there's also Cam Jansen Jr. if you need even easier - Mercy Watson is great for even easier reading, too.) Puppy Place, Flat Stanley (chapter books), Hittie's Travels (another series - a bit more advanced), A-Z Mysteries, Doll Hospital are just some that come to mind. :D

IMO, go the public library route. They are not worth buying at this age. Once fluency kicks in they can read a book in 20-30 minutes. Put them on hold at the library and check out 10-20 at a time.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were looking for chapter books. Not quite sure that Frog and Toad fit that bill. But my kids really loved them!:D Me too!

How about the Thornton Burgess books. He wrote books like The Adventures of Peter Cottontail, The Adventures of Poor Mrs. Quack, and The Adventures of Grandfather Frog, ect..

AL

yep we got these:)

An author named Daisy Meadows has about a kajillion fairy books around that grade level. They are the books that really got my daughter reading chapter books.

Geronimo Stilton are also a great transition book, as use of color, illustration, and font choice in the books tricks the child into not realizing they are actually reading chapter books. This is great if they are intimidated by "walls of text" (even if the walls of text are AT their reading level.)

Other girl-approved books in our house in the K-2 range chapter book: My Secret Unicorn, Magic Puppy, Magic Kitten, Ivy & Bean, Magic Treehouse, Cam Jansen Mysteries, (there's also Cam Jansen Jr. if you need even easier - Mercy Watson is great for even easier reading, too.) Puppy Place, Flat Stanley (chapter books), Hittie's Travels (another series - a bit more advanced), A-Z Mysteries, Doll Hospital are just some that come to mind. :D

IMO, go the public library route. They are not worth buying at this age. Once fluency kicks in they can read a book in 20-30 minutes. Put them on hold at the library and check out 10-20 at a time.

We live literally in the middle of no where ... we use to live in a big city with an awesome library but up here it's a joke...

:iagree::iagree:

Save your money and shelf space for more substantial books that your dc will read over and over again - like Little House, Charlotte's Web etc.

My DD is still enjoying the easy chapter books like magic tree house and American Girl books, but she loves sweet old-fashioned stories that are longer too. Betsy-Tacy and Milly-Molly-Mandy have been hits.

VP has good literature lists in their catalog.

I ended up ordering charlie's chocolate factory, the littles and the courage of sarah noble... I think I'll pop by the library again this week and see if they have any decent beginner chapter books but I highly doubt it.

One last question...any one familiar with the 'misty series ...by Marguerite Henry'??? DD loves horses and I'm thinking of getting a few but want opinons first:tongue_smilie:

I loved the Romona books when I was that age.

http://www.harpercollinschildrens.com/books/Beezus-Ramona/?isbn13=9780380709182&tctid=100

I also read Hedi and Anne of Green Gables around that age. I love Anne of Green Gables so much that I regularly read it still.

DD loves Heidi...we have Anne of Green Gables. I haven't showed her it yet (I thought I would introduce it when she got older...hmmm maybe she'd enjoy it)

Have you checked out the grade 2 and grade 3 SL readers? My DD is reading through the grade 3 books at a ferocious rate! They are early reading chapter books and are very engaging for this age group if there is any reading reluctance going on :). Free shipping too ;).