Menu

What type (not brand) of carseat is your 5 yo in?

What type (not brand) of carseat is your 5 yo in?  

1. 1. What type (not brand) of carseat is your 5 yo in?

• Nothing. Lap and shoulder belt only
    • Backless booster
    • Highback booster
    • 5 point restraint

My 6 and 8 yr olds are both in 5 pt harnesses, and my 11 yr old is in a booster.

I'm a former car seat tech, and my training taught me that every step UP in carseats is a step DOWN in safety.

Does your 11 yo mind or do his friends give him any trouble? My 11 yo is a bit embarrassed that I still make him sit in the back seat (rather than the front). Is your 11 yo short? I thought that as long as they were a certain height (4'9" or 4'11"?) and their feet touched the ground that it was safer to sit on the regular seat? I'm not criticizing, just curious as I have struggled to keep my kids in boosters through age 9 or so. And I am DEFINITELY the last one I know with kids that age in boosters.

I have two who will be 5 and 7 next month. Both are in 5 point restraints though the older will probably have to be switched to a high back booster soon (she has an inch or so before she outgrows her Britax Frontier and seems to be entering a growth spurt).

eta: Kids have to be in a 5 point harness until at least 40 pounds here, my older just hit that weight this year (at 6 and a few months) and my younger is only 35lbs.

My 5, almost 6, year old is in a 5 point harness. She has a graco nautilus. For the person who mentioned their child outgrowing their 5 point harness seat at age 3, if you want to keep them in a 5 point harness, you just buy a bigger 5 point harness seat. My dd went from a graco snugride (an infant seat), to a britax roundabout, to a graco nautilus. When she outgrew her britax roundabout (her first 5 point harness), we bought the bigger nautilus which can be used as a 5 point harness until the kid is quite large and then converted into a booster.

That's the exact same path we took with my daughter, except she was about 2yrs 3 mos when she outgrew the Roundabout by height (and she was a 29 week preemie even!) so has been in a Nautilus since she then. We will convert it to a booster within the year I'm sure but I will feel ok with that at that point.

Does your 11 yo mind or do his friends give him any trouble? My 11 yo is a bit embarrassed that I still make him sit in the back seat (rather than the front). Is your 11 yo short? I thought that as long as they were a certain height (4'9" or 4'11"?) and their feet touched the ground that it was safer to sit on the regular seat? I'm not criticizing, just curious as I have struggled to keep my kids in boosters through age 9 or so. And I am DEFINITELY the last one I know with kids that age in boosters.

Once they pass the 5 step test the lap/shoulder belt system is fine. All the booster is doing is helping to properly place the lap/shoulder belts. Some 11 y/os don't pass the 5 step test. My oldest was just shy of 11 when he didn't need a booster in my Civic. He, however, still needed a booster in dh's car. He used a backless booster so others didn't even really know he used one- except close friends that had to use one too.

I found teaching my ds about proper fit helped him understand the need for a booster. He didn't mind nearly as much when he knew the reasons. I also think the adults attitudes play a huge part. When you have parents standing firm on the decision, not complaining, not wavering, it's easier for kids to know that's just how it is.

hth.

We follow the laws in our state. A 5-point seat is required until the limit of the seat in use (which for us was 40 lbs), then a booster (either backless or high-back) until either age 8 or 80 lbs. DD7 told me a few weeks ago that she wanted to go to Goodwill on her 8th birthday and hand them the seat, saying, "May I do the honors?" :)

My 5yo is in a 5pt harness. He has occasionally ridden in a high back booster, but he does not have the maturity to sit properly for a long trip.

I also think the high back booster is a bigger pain than the 5pt, because I want the seat belt locked, which means I have to rethread it through the shoulder belt path to unlock it.

I also think the adults attitudes play a huge part. When you have parents standing firm on the decision, not complaining, not wavering, it's easier for kids to know that's just how it is.

Yes, as with many things in parenting. There are many things I stand firm on, but my poor kids still "suffer" by not getting to see PG-13 movies, having no electronics or cable TV, having to sit in booster seats, etc. They do know that's how it is, but they sure don't always feel fine about it! I do hope someday they will - at least when they look back! I am also very thankful my kids are big and tall (at least the first two) when it comes to the booster seat thing. One of my friends has TINY kids, and I am shocked at how young she lets them skip the booster altogether. I don't get that.

My just-turned 6-yr-old is in a backless booster, and my almost-9-yr-old is in nothing, but we have clips in our minivan that are part of the seatbelt system that lowers the shoulder belt so that it sits properly on the on the shoulder of a taller child or very short adult.

If we had a vehicle without those clips, my 6 yr old would be in a backed booster and my 9 yr old would be in a backless booster.

By the way, I am virtually positive that if anyone ever did the research to verify it, they'd find that wearing helmets in vehicles would prevent death and injury in auto accidents.

I sometimes wonder if I should invest a helmet company's stock for the day when then it becomes vogue to take that safety precaution. :D

He is very good about it. I have shown him videos of crash tests of a boostered dummy vs a dummy only in a seat belt. After seeing the dramatic results - he understands why he needs to be in a booster.

He is a bit on the small side (He's 4'9", but he only weighs around 60 lbs.) The biggest reason he is still in the booster is because , the lap portion of the seatbelt belt rides up over his abdomen when he does not use it.

A few of his friends give him grief about it...just like a few of his friends give him grief about homeschooling. ;) We have told him that, just like homeschooling, mom and dad have decided this is what is best for him - this is just the way our family is. Thankfully, he accepts that without too much of a fuss. :)

He is very good about it. I have shown him videos of crash tests of a boostered dummy vs a dummy only in a seat belt. After seeing the dramatic results - he understands why he needs to be in a booster.

He is a bit on the small side (He's 4'9", but he only weighs around 60 lbs.) The biggest reason he is still in the booster is because , the lap portion of the seatbelt belt rides up over his abdomen when he does not use it.

A few of his friends give him grief about it...just like a few of his friends give him grief about homeschooling. ;) We have told him that, just like homeschooling, mom and dad have decided this is what is best for him - this is just the way our family is. Thankfully, he accepts that without too much of a fuss. :)

The bolded is so extremely important. The lap belt can cause so much damage when not placed low on the hips and thighs. I wish I could make every person that ever transports a child understand that. Crash forces, even in low impact crashes, are GREAT. Little bodies aren't made to withstand the trauma. The 5 step test (6 steps if you add feet on the floor) is really the ONLY way to know if the child needs a booster or not. Laws, weight, age, and height can't judge how the belt system fits. As a side note, please use lap and shoulder belts. Lap belts are only good for installing car seats, not people.

My husband is an accident reconstructionist for the state patrol. So many stories :( Don't rush getting your kids out of the 5 point restraints.

Bless his heart. I can't imagine such a job. Just the stuff I come across in my work as a CPS tech is more than I can handle sometimes.

I didn't vote b/c I don't have a 5 year old, but my 8 year old is in a 5 point harness. It is a britax.

My older daughter was in the britax until she was 10, then a highback and currently a back less (but I need to get her a new high back) she will be 12 in december.

I have a friend trying to get her cps certification so she tells me what to buy for my particular car/child. SHE dis the 5 check thing on my older and told her she wasn't ready to be out of the booster and that was that.

Robin in NJ

. The 5 step test (6 steps if you add feet on the floor) is really the ONLY way to know if the child needs a booster or not. Laws, weight, age, and height can't judge how the belt system fits.

I've never heard of this "5 step test." What is it?

I've never heard of this "5 step test." What is it?

The 5-Step Test.

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?

2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?

3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?

4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?

5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, your child needs a booster seat to make both the shoulder belt and the lap belt fit right for the best crash protection. Your child will be more comfortable, too!

I like for their feet to touch the floor too.