Menu

Freaking Out! Bed Bug Questions...

Ok, so bed bugs are one of my greatest fears...and now I am freaking out.

We have two foster sons, whose bio father lives in a transitional housing facility. We know that this facility is fighting bed bugs. Last Thursday (8 days ago) the boys went for an overnight visit. When they were brought home on Friday, I was sick and my DH was busy running our youngest DD back and forth to play performances...no neither of us thought to check the boys over. The one backpack they took stayed downstairs, and never went into their room.

Saturday, I was still sick so the girls helped out quite a bit with the boys, including getting them dressed for the day and at bed time.

Sunday morning, oldest DD was getting the 3yo ready for church, and noticed red spots on him. He had about 40+ on him...and I was PRAYING for chicken pox, but once I really started looking, I could tell they were some kind of bites...some were in a straight line. I *freaked out! Called their SW, and after we did some research online we decided that more than likely he got the bites at the dads, and it took a couple of days for them to show up. Ok...I felt a little better.

Until yesterday. I wanted to look him over real good before he went back to his dads, so we would know if he had anymore when he came home. Upon checking on him, I found TONS more...that I had not seen before. The ones we knew were there, you can tell are older (a little scabby from him itching them)...these look newer...but they are *not red really.

Of course I am thinking they are in his bed...but how? Also, last night we put a heating pad in his bed, and went and checked periodically, and we did not find anything. I have no idea what to think. I don't want to overreact, but I am afraid *not to over react! YKWIM?

Does this sound like BBs? I would say he has close to 80 or more right now...that sounds crazy to me, when there is no way they could have brought home an entire infestation in one bag (the bag has since been thrown away.) Also, the bag never went upstairs, and my older DD's bedroom is downstairs. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to be in her room?

Please talk me down!

I have no clue! All I can suggest is to keep checking his bed. Is there somewhere else they can see their father? If it didn't happen last time, it could still happen.

I wouldn't think he'd be getting that many bites from your house yet. We had a bedbug infestation years ago from a dresser we were given by a friend (they were mortified...turns out their son brought the bugs back from another country).

Anyway, back to the point. It was MONTHS before my daughter started getting tons of bites, so I wouldn't think he'd have that many bites from your house, even if he had brought the bugs in.

When you mentioned that the bites were in a straight line, I was thinking maybe it was scabies. Perhaps a trip to the doctor might be in order?

There is no other place for them to visit with their dad. That is where he lives, and they will be transitioning back to him next month, so they have to go there for overnights to prepare :(

We did take him to the doctor on Tues (soonest he could be seen) because the SW wanted it documented. The doctor said that they were consistent with BB bites, because some of them were in groups of threes. But she also said that she did not really have experience with BBs. This was also, before all of these others bite looking things popped up. I wonder if I should call again?

We went through this at one point with one of my kids and it turned out to be hives. She'd suddenly developed an allergy to red dye #40 which is in everything--even art supplies--and would break out in hives that would pop up looking like bug bites rather and then scab over if we don't catch it quickly and dose it with Benadryl (the early bedtime is only a bonus, really). My oldest had bedbugs in her apartment in college so I was panicked for a while. It was helpful to google bedbug bites in images.

Barb

I haven't had experience with bedbugs but we do the flea thing (and ants periodically) here every couple of years. What we use is food grade Diatomaceous Earth (similar stuff that is used in pool filters) and it can also be used to get rid of a variety of pests.

You can treat the mattresses and whatever else and if there are bedbugs you have started reducing/eliminating them. If it isn't bedbugs you really aren't hurting anything.

It can be difficult to find as you'll have to call garden or feed supply stores but it is very inexpensive and will last a long time.

Just do a google on food grade diatomaceous earth for more info.

If bed bugs... you need to leave all their stuff outside.... All the luggage... the backpacks... everything. And, put new clothes on before they come in the house... or the car. Sorry :(

Starting with this weeks visit, we did not send any bags at all. The dad has everything they need there, so the SW and I decided to just forgo any bags. This evening when they came back, we took their clothes off right away, and put them straight in the washer, we also took the boys straight to the bath.

It really does not make sense that all of these are bed bugs, but it seems like to much of a coincidence. I think I am stuck with the doctor, because the boys are on state aid, it takes forever to get them moved to another approved provider.

I am not sure that the washer kills them. They are really hearty...... I think it's a certain temperature... but maybe water does it...

I am not counting on the water killing them...but hopefully the dryer will :tongue_smilie:

This all gives me a serious case of the heebie jeebies!

I don't understand why the social worker/agency is allowing them to visit in a bedbug infested place?!

I would be raising the roof with that agency…they're subjecting those kids to BEDBUGS and risking YOUR home [and health] as well...are they gonna pay the thousands of dollars to deal with an infestation in your house if the kids do bring them back?!… it just all seems so wrong.

I am not counting on the water killing them...but hopefully the dryer will :tongue_smilie:

This all gives me a serious case of the heebie jeebies!

The dryer will kill them. You have to dry the clothes and then run the dryer another 20 minutes to have the clothes reach 120 degrees.

If you are checking the beds at night and using a heating pad but still not seeing them then you might be okay. We have been fighting the bugs since May. I think we may finally be in the clear. It could be that the kids are getting bit somewhere else. Sometimes it takes a few days and can take as long as 10 days before the bites show up.

I don't understand why the social worker/agency is allowing them to visit in a bedbug infested place?!

I would be raising the roof with that agency…they're subjecting those kids to BEDBUGS and risking YOUR home [and health] as well...are they gonna pay the thousands of dollars to deal with an infestation in your house if the kids do bring them back?!… it just all seems so wrong.

:iagree: That is not good for the those kids to get attacked with bites that they are going to scratch and then risk infection. Not to mention your house and family. :glare:

:iagree: That is not good for the those kids to get attacked with bites that they are going to scratch and then risk infection. Not to mention your house and family. :glare:

I agree, but it is the county. Our agency SW has made it known that she does really agree with the situation, but there is not much that she can do. She did ask if the county was going to pay for getting rid of them, if it turns out we do have them. Of course, they have not gotten back to her about that @@ The county is leaning on the facility pretty hard to fix the problem.

To the dads credit, he is hoping to be out of there in the next couple of months. He also plans to take nothing with him. He told the SW, that all the stuff we send with the boys, he is going to put straight into storage, so their stuff is not contaminated.

The dryer will kill them. You have to dry the clothes and then run the dryer another 20 minutes to have the clothes reach 120 degrees.

If you are checking the beds at night and using a heating pad but still not seeing them then you might be okay. We have been fighting the bugs since May. I think we may finally be in the clear. It could be that the kids are getting bit somewhere else. Sometimes it takes a few days and can take as long as 10 days before the bites show up.

This is what we read on the internet, and it made me feel better at first. I just can't believe how many are on him. At your worst, how badly were you guys getting bit? The first batch we found on him was about 40. Now I would say that he has about 80, though not all of them are red. I read that they "feed" for about 5 mins and then they are done. To have so many "bites" makes me think they are crawling all over him...so I don't see how they could be here. But at the same time :willy_nilly: What if they are???

This is what we read on the internet, and it made me feel better at first. I just can't believe how many are on him. At your worst, how badly were you guys getting bit? The first batch we found on him was about 40. Now I would say that he has about 80, though not all of them are red. I read that they "feed" for about 5 mins and then they are done. To have so many "bites" makes me think they are crawling all over him...so I don't see how they could be here. But at the same time :willy_nilly: What if they are???

It was my 10yo's bed that was infested. (We purchased the frame from a thrift store.) It was one week after he started sleeping in the bed that the bites appeared. We were sitting in church and I noticed him scratching. I took him out and finally took off his shirt. His shoulders were absolutely covered--like a solid mass of bites plus more down to his waist. He also had many down his arms as well as some on his face.

It took us three weeks to figure it out. We thought chicken pox at first, then some kind of viral rash, then an allergic reaction. It wasn't until my dh went in their room after midnight and saw all the bugs on the frame and all in the sheets that we figured out what it was. (In the next couple of days after that we started seeing them all over the house.) I used to think the bugs were too small to be seen but you can definitely see them. Our set of bugs seemed to be most active between 11 and 2 a.m. That was with our kids going to bed around 9. I think with the number of bites you are seeing you should be seeing the bugs in the bed if they were there but keep looking out for signs. It sounds like you are on top of it! It will be easier to get rid of them in the early stages.

Definitely wash and dry any clothing that comes back with them before bringing them into the house. Our washer and dryer are outside so that would be easy for us. If yours are inside, you should seal the clothing in clean plastic bags before bringing them in. I'd probably keep a suitcase outside that they could use to go back and forth. There is a heater called Packtite that will heat treat suitcases. They cost about $300. We are considering getting one. We had to empty our entire house except for furniture during the chemical treatments. I don't want to bring back in things that we couldn't put into the dryer. :sad:

Edited by Cricket

First,,, :grouphug:

I know what you mean about being terrified of the buggers....

Anyway - I would mention MRSA to the county - getting bit than much and scratching them,,, I don't know - seems like a great way to get a MRSA infection.

Ok, I was almost convinced that the bites were coming just from the Dads place, but I was still a little doubtful. Since the 3yo was the one getting the bites, and not the 20 month old, we decided to switch the boys around in the beds to see if the little guy got any.

The first couple of nights--nothing. Today :willy_nilly: I went in to get him, and noticed a bump on his ear right away. I did not see anything else on him, so I was hoping that it was a pimple or something. The longer he sat on my lap though, I could see bumps start to pop up on his neck...UGH!

We seriously can't afford this. My DH just retired from the AF, and he has not found a job yet. We have one more full paycheck before we have nothing but his retirement pay. I talked to our agency SW, and she said that they would pay, so I called around to get some quotes.

One place will treat the entire house for $500 (with a 30 day warranty) but it is with the freeze spray stuff (whatever that is.)

Another, uses the heat treatment, but they charge $500 for the first room, and $250 for each room after that.

Our agency said they would pay $500. So, now I am trying to decide if I just want to have the boys room done with the heat that I know is best, but taking a chance on the entire house...or using the spray which I have read is not quite as efficient, but would get the whole house.

In the mean time, the Agency is going to push the county to stop visits to that facility. SW said she is going to try to get the county to give the family vouchers for hotels--the nights the boys are with them.

Any thoughts on which treatment we should go with?

What a frustrating situation. I would go with the heat treatment since it seems to be localized, then do a do it yourself treatment on the rest of the house. My daughter and her roommates at college just went through this and they have some helpful blogs saved. I can send them to you. Let me email her.

Barb

So, unfortunately I have experience with this. Here are my thoughts/suggestions:

1. He has a TON of bites, if they are bedbugs. A doctor can't look at the bites and tell whether/not they are bedbugs because what you see on the skin is an allergic reaction to the bite. If those are bedbug bites, then there is a serious infestation somewhere where the child is sleeping.

2. You need to know whether/not they are in YOUR house and then treat accordingly. The simplest and most effective way to find out is to hire an exterminating company that uses dogs and heat. I am serious. The exterminator guy will come out, talk to you a bit about bedbugs, do a visual exam for free. But, most likely he won't be able to see anything. What he'll be looking for, so that you can go ahead and look, are actual bugs, blood marks on sheets, little brown marks from the bedbug poop mostly around the head of the bed, and casings from bedbugs that have molted. If you don't have many, he may not see anything. But then, you hire the dog to come and look. If there are ANY he'll find them. If he finds any, you need to heat treat that room. And, you should expect to pay ~ $1000 for one room. Heating is really the only way to really eradicate them. We tried an exterminator that uses pesticides for six months before we said, "Enough." We hadn't wanted to pay the cost for heat, but we have paid for much more than that in the long run with the number of mattresses, box springs, sheets, etc. that we have thrown away AND the mattress covers, mattresses, and box springs that we have bought. With heating, you just put EVERYTHING in the room that you think could be contaminated and it all gets nuked. You don't have to replace ANYTHING.

3. You do not want any more bugs coming in your house. It sounds like you are doing well with us. Cricket has great advice. Before your foster son comes into the house, you have to get his clothing off of him and in something sealed and then right into the washer/dryer, or just the dryer and have him take a shower immediately. Stuffed animals, luggage, even books can be carriers. Do not let ANYTHING come into the house that you don't put through the dryer.

My heart goes out to you. This is so tough! The good news about bed bugs is that they don't LIVE on you. They feed on you, but they don't stay there. As we've walked this road, I've often thought about Corrie Ten Boom and the fleas. If you don't know this story, you can read it here: http://www.broadcaster.org.uk/section2/transcript/hidingplace.html.

If there's any other questions you have about what we've been dealing with, just ask or PM and I'll do my best to answer. I'm praying for you!

Yuck, yuck, YUCK! I'm sorry you are dealing with this. It is awful!

Here is a very helpful website: Bedbugger.com. It has a forum, too, that is helpful. You will find some really good advice there about what to do and what not to do.

One mistake we made was to empty out our boys' room without bagging it. That may or may not have contributed to the spread of the bugs throughout our house. (I think three weeks of not knowing and the boys dragging their blankets through the house helped too!) The other big mistake was that we moved out. We stayed in RVs until last week. Because we left, the bugs traveled all around the house looking for us. (ICK!!!) When they couldn't find us, they simply burrowed down somewhere to wait. Adults can live as long as 18 months without feeding so they are happy to wait for you. (Isn't that HORRID?!) A heat treatment would have killed them regardless of where they were but we did a chemical treatment. (That is the only thing the thrift store would pay for.) In order for the chemicals to work the bugs have to be either sprayed directly or travel through the residual that is left on the carpet. If they are waiting for us, they don't walk across the carpet so it doesn't affect them. I would opt for the heat if at all possible. Like Cindy said, then you aren't also out the cost of replacing items. The exterminator might also throw in mattress covers for free.

In the meantime, don't allow anything to go in and out of the room where you think the bugs are. Don't let the kids bring out any stuffed animals or blankets. I think that link I posted above has advice on how to make your bed safe to sleep in so someone can continue to be in the room to keep the bugs there. Or you can buy a carbon dioxide trap (or make one yourself with dry ice) to attract the bugs instead of using yourself as live bait.

:grouphug:

Totally agree with everything Cricket said. What the bedbugs want is CO2. Our exterminator guy said that as long as there is some CO2 in the room, they're not going to wander looking for more. My girls were freaked out at the thought of needing to be "bait." But, although they won't typically wander, unless there is no CO2, they will travel on anything that is carried out. They can get their bodies thinner than a piece of paper to slide into a comfy place to wait for you to return. That is why pesticides are virtually ineffective. There is no way a pesticide can get into every place that they can get.

Oh, another good thing about bed bugs - they don't fly or hop. :)