Menu

Update on Highway taking our house--new house

We got possession of our new house 3 weeks ago.

In that time we have cleared 3 acres of woods and had it stumped, tilled twice, 200 yards of fresh manure (7 semi truck loads) brough in, tilled again and seeded for horse pasture. We also set 100 fence posts and 7 gate posts. We also had an additional driveway put in for the barn.

The barn is almost done. It is 30x32 with a 12x32 lean to with clear panels on the sides up high for windows. It has electric and water and concrete. Siding will be done tomorrow and then we just need to put the stalls in.

In the house we have painted 3 bedrooms, a playroom, living room/dining room/hall way. We have stripped wallpaper from 3 rooms--1 very easy, 1 very difficult and 1 semi hard.

Laminate flooring was laid in the hall, kitchen, dining area, hearth room, entry way, hall bath, master bedroom and master bath.

The deck has been repaired. As of today we have a new well pump and the pressure tank is coming tomorrow. We have put in AC (with record high heat wave it was welcome), installed a handicapped toilet for my mom and got a ramp for her to get into the house with her wheelchair. We got electric to the pole barn garage.

I think that is about it. We have been working there 10-12 hours a day almost every day but it is taking shape nicely. Some we have done ourselves, quite a bit has been contracted out but then I still have to manage everything.

Today we took down much of the fencing here and tomorrow is installing fencing and gates at the new place.

Then the moving and packing will really start. Our target date to move is September 1.

We will still miss where we are and now the highway seems to be on hold:glare: but at least we got enough money to go along with our sweat equity to make this work.

My first thought: that's a lot of poop.

:)

I am SURE the new neighbors are loving us about now. I don't think it is bad at all and with a rain this weekend the smell should be totally gone.

The biggest kicker is that on the way to our house with the 1st load the tailgate on the truck broke and 35 yards of FRESH manure (not the non smelly compost) spilled ALL OVER THE ROAD. It took 2 road commision trucks, the police and a front end loader to clean it up. I am sure those people just loved me as well.

It has been a TON of work but I think we will like our new place. If I could figure out how to post pictures I would. Most are on my phone though.

We will though miss our neighbors that we have now. We have lived here for 18 years and the "new" ones in the neighborhood have been here 13 years.

A great outcome for you guys!:party:

Party in September! When you first posted about the state taking your property and not sure if you were you going to get market value, etc., etc., I felt bad for you, sounds like things are going to be okay. Everything fell into place, except the manure.:tongue_smilie:

I love Michigan, cool, green, damp; I've only been there once... Dh spent summers and Christmases in northern Michigan.