Menu

I Finally Did It - iPod Touch!

SnMomof7

Well. I just did it today. I finally bought an iPod touch!

So, now...ahem.

What are your favorite educational app suggestions?

There seem to be a glut of them out there, but which ones are actually worth the time and $$. Effective and fun suggestions needed!

Audible.com app. sign up for a free 30 day subscription and get a free dramatized audio Bible. At the end of the 30 days. say you cannot afford to stay signed up, and they will offer you 1/2 price for 90 days. Say yes and download a volume of History of US, once a month. I'm not sure what saying you are still broke, at the end of the 90 days results in :-0

Download OverDrive app and download free audio books from the library.

We like TapQuiz Maps, USA Map, and McGraw-Hill math apps for my 2nd grader. My 3 y.o. also loves USA Maps, Preschool University (ABC Magic and Reading Skill), and Pocket Phonics. I also downloaded GeoQuiz and Where In The World which I think ds1 will enjoy within the next year or so.

We like alot of the ones already mentioned but I wanted to add Merriam-Webster dictionary (the free one). It has a voice recognition feature that we just discovered today.

It is not educational, but I love Fruit Ninja just for fun.

Enjoy!

Hmmm, lets see. For your younger ones, we enjoy TeachMe Kindergarten and First Grade (Ok, I enjoy the kids playing them...they don't play them on their own as they're very overtly educational...)

I have a word game that I enjoy, Textropolis...older children might enjoy it too.

Toca Doctor is one my kids like a lot(for preschool aged kids, although my 7 year old likes it.)

I have both of ThinkFun's free games downloaded---Rush Hour and Chess Solitaire. If you like their games in real life, you'll like the apps. I like SliceIt for some basic geometry. My daughter loves SimonSays (its a memory game.)

Of course the ones my kids LOVE are not educational....Angry Birds and JellyCar.

And this is not a game, but we are very dependent on Chore Pad in our house! My kids have their chore lists on the ipad and check them off as they do them. The program is not perfect, but it does what we need it to... And I am totally dependent on HomeRoutines for my chore list.

Have fun with your new toy!

I've heard rumors that we're getting an iPad for Christmas...so I don't have one yet, but I am really intrigued by an app I saw on an iPad commercial that has a kid trace letters to "write" with his finger. DS would have really benefited from something like that...maybe the littler kids would like it.

Anyone know what that is called?

I was just thnking about how useful my iPod has become during our school day. I use the timer to help dd know when to move on to the next subject, we have a metronome app for piano practice, I've loaded our Latin CDs onto it so we can listen to them easily for vocab practice. And of course there are the games for keeping wiggly boys quiet during their siblings' afternoon activities....

Some of our favorite (and somewhat educational) games have been Red Remover, Math Bingo, and Oregon Trail.

I also use the Audible and Kindle apps a lot for listening to and reading books.

Oh, and don't forget you can get on the forums without having to start up your computer. That's educational right?? :lol:

I've heard rumors that we're getting an iPad for Christmas...so I don't have one yet, but I am really intrigued by an app I saw on an iPad commercial that has a kid trace letters to "write" with his finger. DS would have really benefited from something like that...maybe the littler kids would like it.

I haven't seen that commercial so not sure of the exact one, but you can probably find a few like that. I have one called ABC Tracing and another called Pocket Phonics.

My dd loves pocket phonics.

I have both of ThinkFun's free games downloaded---Rush Hour and Chess Solitaire. If you like their games in real life, you'll like the apps. I like SliceIt for some basic geometry. My daughter loves SimonSays (its a memory game.)

Of course the ones my kids LOVE are not educational....Angry Birds and JellyCar.

I think Angry Birds has some educational value...angles and trajectory...;)

My son loves Slice it! It is great for developing spacial thinking and talking about geometric shapes. Plus...it gets to be a real challenge!

We have one where numbers drop and you have to select them to add up to a certain amount...I can't remember what it is called.:confused:

With the ipod touch, do you have to be connected to Wifi when you use the apps, or just when you initially download them?

Most of them you don't have to be connected to wifi. Some of them you do, for instance an app that finds the nearest library, or netflix that streams videos, or something that gives you news updates. But for the vast majority you don't need a connection.