Menu

Homeschooling in PA...

Do you really have to take your kids to an evaluator?

I have looked on the askpauline site but there is so much I am :blink:.

Little help?

ETA: OK I need a lot of help. my dh wants to move to PA now (as opposed to NY) because we can keep our jobs and work there. However I am near tears thinking about what needs to be done.

Medical exams? Dental Exams? Seriously? Will we need that stuff when we first move there?

Is there anyone there that can hold my hand when we move there?

:crying:

Edited by Mynyel

I am in PA is this is our first year having to meet the legal requirements (you are allowed to be 'off the grid' until your child is 8 at the beginning of the school year).

Yes, you have to find an evaluator and let them evaluate your portfolio. We haven't gotten that far yet. I did send in the affidavit along with our Education Objectives back in June though.

Pauline's site is SO helpful! All of the info is overwhelming, but I've been encouraged by others to just take it one step at a time.

Okay, it really isn't that bad! The biggest concern is the local school district. If you have any choice about where you live, ask around about the local district(s) -- find one that is friendly to the homeschoolers.

Yes, you have to have an evaluation every year, but you get to choose your evaluator from a list of approved ones, so of course, you'll find someone whose philosophy fits with yours. Our evaluator is also a good friend and our co-op leader, so she knows our family, but our evaluation this year consisted of an hour or so of DD and me sitting with the evaluator and going through samples of work, test scores (only needed in certain grades -- and you could consider skipping those grades if you wanted), lists of books we'd read, etc. Very low pressure, no big deal at all. Then I took the paper from the evaluator and our portfolio and submitted it to the school district. Just some hoops to jump through but no big deal.

As for the medical, dental, etc., PA allows religious and philosophical exemptions for those things. Even if you do some or all of them, you can still submit the exemption. No letter from a pastor or anything is needed; you just simply state on a piece of paper something like, "I am the legal guardian of Child's Name, and I object to the following procedures on the basis of a religious belief or philosophical belief similar to a religious belief." Then write the procedures, put a check by them, and sign it. Exact wording can be found on Pauline's site.

Homeschooling in PA looks complicated at first glance (I was overwhelmed my first year!) but once you read through a few times what you're expected to do, take it step by step, and go through the process once, you'll find it isn't actually so bad.

To begin homeschooling, you will need to file an affidavit. I have an example of a very simple affidavit here, which I got from Pauline's site:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/215934.html

If they push for medical records, you can either file exemption papers or you can submit the records or you can submit some sort of statement/doctor's letter about the records. I usually type up a brief letter I ask my doctor to sign saying that my child is a patient of his, that her medical services and immunizations are up-to-date and on file at his office, and that's that. I've never had a problem.

You will also need to file "Proposed Educational Objectives" by subject area. I believe in keeping these general/vague. I have the ones I have used for four school years running now without problem posted on my blog, and you are welcome to use them in any way you like:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/122810.html

(They are for elementary years, you might have to tweak a bit if you're doing secondary years because the "required subjects" are just a little bit different).

That's all you have to do to get started.

Once you're homeschooling, you'll need to teach the "required subjects" I was just talking about, but how you do them and how often you do them are entirely up to you. Don't get too caught up in trying to work around the law. Homeschool how you would normally homeschool and then find a way to make what you did fit the law, rather than going into it with the law in mind stressing out over what subjects to teach and so on. Worst case scenario at the end of the year you might go, "Hmm, I don't have an example of fire safety yet" (or whatever) and you can always print some worksheet off the internet or something.

At the end of the year, yes you have to hire an evaluator (usually costs $30-$45 depending on who it is), but you can easily find a list of evaluators on Pauline's site and contact them first and make sure they jive with your homeschooling philosophy- I have no problems with my evaluator. He's nice, he's easy going, he's always got nice things to say about my portfolio, he gives me the form letter I need to submit to the district with your portfolio, it's a breeze, really, and it's only once a year. There are even unschool friendly evaluators. You shouldn't have a problem.

As for the portfolio, I've got a description and some pictures of the latest portfolio I just submitted, here:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/226816.html

I hope this helps. :) Where in PA will you be moving to?

Edited by NanceXToo

This is my first year homeschooling, we're in PA. We've completed the start-of-the-year-hoop-jumping exercise, and although it was annoying, it was not difficult. I did submit my DS's vaccination record (because I happened to have it on hand) but that was it as far as medical records went. I just had a statement in my affidavit that said he receives regular medical and dental care his records were kept on file with his physician.

The most helpful thing I've done is to meet with our local homeschool association. They host a "how to for newbies" kind of session twice a year where they go over the law in detail and show examples of how to complete all that paperwork. Made me feel a lot better.

I'm kind of looking forward to meeting with an evaluator next spring and getting some feedback on how we're doing. While I may know we're doing okay, and my husband or mother or friend tell me it's fine, it will be nice to get an outside opinion on how things look. Does that make me somehow codependent?

Nance, those pics of your portfolio were EXTREMELY HELPFUL. I am keeping a running list of reading materials, but it was great to see how you organized everything. I am hoping to keep this organized throughout the year so that when the evaluation comes next spring, I'm not running around trying to throw something together. Not that I've ever procrastinated or anything like that. Hm.

I've only known homeschooling in PA, but I certainly don't consider it difficult or out of line. Our evaluators have been our friends (teacher certified) and keeping portfolios and course lists has been great when it comes to college apps and the homeschool supplement required for the common app. ;)

Our school district is great at letting us know what is required and when. Hubby just picked up last year's portfolio and next year's affidavit today. Middle son and he will get that filled out along with his senior year course list later today or tomorrow. Then we'll get it notarized, handed in, and will be on his last year!

NOTE: You can legally skip senior year since kids can drop out of school at 17 with their parent's permission, but PA's PHEAA grants for colleges require you to continue through senior year. It's worth the $$ if heading to an instate college. It's not worth as much for out of state schools.

This is my first year homeschooling, we're in PA. We've completed the start-of-the-year-hoop-jumping exercise, and although it was annoying, it was not difficult. I did submit my DS's vaccination record (because I happened to have it on hand) but that was it as far as medical records went. I just had a statement in my affidavit that said he receives regular medical and dental care his records were kept on file with his physician.

The most helpful thing I've done is to meet with our local homeschool association. They host a "how to for newbies" kind of session twice a year where they go over the law in detail and show examples of how to complete all that paperwork. Made me feel a lot better.

I'm kind of looking forward to meeting with an evaluator next spring and getting some feedback on how we're doing. While I may know we're doing okay, and my husband or mother or friend tell me it's fine, it will be nice to get an outside opinion on how things look. Does that make me somehow codependent?

Nance, those pics of your portfolio were EXTREMELY HELPFUL. I am keeping a running list of reading materials, but it was great to see how you organized everything. I am hoping to keep this organized throughout the year so that when the evaluation comes next spring, I'm not running around trying to throw something together. Not that I've ever procrastinated or anything like that. Hm.

It's always nice to have an outsider tell you that you're doing a good job. :) I am confident that I am but it's still always nice to have my evaluator confirm it!

Keeping the running log of reading materials is pretty much all I do organization wise during the year.

Toward the end of the year is usually when I start flipping through our work, deciding what I want to use for our samples, photocopying them, and figuring out what might still be missing. It's worked out pretty well so far!

Glad the pics were helpful :)

And if any of you PA people are in or near Schuylkill County, I organize a pretty great homeschool group on Meetup.com. :D Let me know if you're interested! It's an inclusive group that does things like field trips, educational tours, casual/social get togethers, occasional fun classes (not ongoing co-op classes per se), seasonal and holiday picnics and gatherings and so on.

Our group does a similar thing; each spring, they host a portfolio share, where people can view each other's portfolios, ask questions, see how to meet the law's requirements with what they do naturally, etc. Our evaluator is also happy to answer any questions about the paperwork. Best thing to do is to ask!

It's true what everyone says: it only sounds crazy. But it's actually not that bad. A little hassle here and there, a little running around, and yes, you meet with an evaluator, but it's all doable and okay.

Actually, when we meet with our evaluator, it's more like a field trip. She looks through our portfolio, asks some questions and then we go out to feed the fish in her pond and hang out with the chickens. On the way home, we stop for ice cream. It's a fun day. :)

It will be okay. We promise. :)

OK, I may or may not have already had a drink this evening...but, I totally thought your post said you have to take your kids to an ELEVATOR. I was thinking, "Dang, I knew PA had weird homeschooling laws, but I didn't know they had a list of places and things you had to do."

Haha. Time for bed.

I know of many homeschoolers in PA who use religious exemption for medical and dental exams. I did have ds's doctor and dentist fill out the very brief, non-detailed forms on askpauline site just in case I needed them. I also found a couple of evaluators who do distance evaluations via email or snail mail and phone. The homeschoolers I met said it is no big deal at all to homeschool in PA.

Thank you so much for all your info. My dh and have been umm... back and forth :D about this stuff.

I haven't looked at Nance's stuff yet but I am going to look at it now. Do any of you mind if I pm you later for more info if/when needed?

@Nance, we are looking to move in the NW part of the state, Erie/Meadville or around Warren/Allegany... bit of a swath but it depends on what rentals are available.

MEADVILLE! I vote for Meadville!

There are local homeschool groups in Erie, Butler, and in Pittsburgh that I know of. Some of them organize picnics with a few evaluators and you can schedule your time slot and make a day of it. We haven't done that but it sounds cool. You can also get your evaluation done over the phone. It really isn't the hassle it may seem to be.

In Meadville, the local school district (Crawford Central) has never given me a hard time over anything. I don't submit any medical or dental records, since I am one of those who consider it 'covered' by the affidavit and the school district accepts my affidavit with no problem. They have never questioned it or asked for any further paperwork. If you are still concerned, we have a local family doctor ( a woman) who homeschools her own five kids and I'm sure she would sign whatever you wanted her to sign.

If you do end up coming to Meadville, please pm me! I know all the best ice cream places!

Rainefox, I grew up around Meadville. . . went to school at Conneaut Lake Elementary. . . have fond memories of going to the "big" Meadville library (as opposed to the super tiny Conneaut Lake one). . . that was almost 30 years ago though. We took the kids (well, the two we had then, anyway) there three years ago to show them where Mommy grew up and spent a day in Erie -- fun place, would love to go back there (or move there)!

I don't mind a PM if you have more questions, HSLover -- I hope you find just the right place to live and everything!