Menu

Daily Schedules

I was wondering if you could share your daily schedules. I am trying to set up a schedule for 7th grade. Some classes he does by himself and some are combined with his 5th grade brother. If you have classes you combine with siblings do you schedule them in a row and more independent classes at a separate time?

My 6th and 8th graders have two classes together. They do them last.

8th

Math

English

break

Latin

Computers

lunch

Science

History w/ sister

break

Literature w/sister

6th

Math

Spanish

break

English (1st semester) Latin (2nd semester)

Art (1st semester) Music Theory (2nd semester)

lunch

Science

History w/sister

break

Literature w/sister

I found that doing hard to prep for lessons and group lessons like science and history were easiest to do first thing in the morning. 1) everyone was at the same point...otherwise despite schedules, someone would get ahead (or behind) and move onto something else and then nobody was ready to start at a single point in time and 2) I couldn't convince myself I would have time to set up an experiment during lessons so I was more likely to prep it the night before, knowing it was first.

My 5th grader this year isn't really doing any group lessons for the 1st time. My plan is to provide a laid out schedule for him, but after a few weeks I will allow him the freedom to do things in the order he wishes and the freedom to make his own mistakes (like doing all the fun stuff 1st and then dreading the rest of the day). I am trying to teach him independence. He will however know that at about 4 different points in the day I have allotted him time in my schedule and he will need to be ready to drop what he's doing and go over things with me at those points in time.

Eventually his plan will simply look like this (with a list of assignments for the day and week)

8:15 Math conference with mom to start day

9:30 mom checks in on history plans and progress

10:30 grammar with mom or spelling/vocab quiz

10:45 snack

12:30 lunch

1:30 science conference with mom

Brownie

I have a third grader and a fifth grader, and here is what I am thinking of... note - we school 4 days a week in general:

Ds10, 5th grade

• Listen to read aloud (poetry or history related lit)
  • Math (TT, on computer)
  • Writing, spelling & vocab (w/mom)
  • Grammar (all together)
  • Listen to read aloud (general lit)
  • BREAK
  • History 3x weekly (all together)
  • Science Read Aloud 2x weekly (all together), History of science (independent) the other 2 days
  • Once weekly each: Art, nature studies, piano, co-op

Dd8, 3rd grade

• Listen to read aloud (poetry or history related lit)
  • Phonics and spelling (w/mom)
  • Math (TT, on computer)
  • Grammar (all together)
  • Listen to read aloud (general lit)
  • BREAK
  • History 3x weekly (all together)
  • Science Read Aloud 2x weekly (all together), Reading work the other 2 days while ds10 does history of science, or we can use this time for more fairy/folk tales
  • Once weekly each: Art, nature studies, play w/friend while brother is in piano lesson, co-op

So it is mostly still shared, thankfully. I think in 6th or 7th, ds will become more and more independent, while dd needs some hand-holding for a while.

My schedule looks like this:

Ds Math w/me

History w/me both kids

Ds Biology

Dd Life Science

Lunch

Dd writing w/me

Dd sewing w/me

I give each child a schedule for the week. It lists what they are to do in each subject each day. The things done with me are in time order and have start times listed by them. The independent work is a todo list at the bottom and they work on those things while I am with their sibling. Dd starts 90 minutes after ds (their own natural biorhythms).

Here's the schedule I've planned for the year, though it may need to be tweaked slightly once we actually start. Foreign languages are being outsourced & thus studied after school hours (evenings & weekends):

We do pretty much every subject together except grammar & math, and this year literature will also be separate.

08:00 - 08:30: Religion

08:30 - 09:00: Vocabulary / Handwriting (4 days/wk) & Poetry Study (1 day/wk)

09:00 - 09:30: Grammar

09:30 - 10:00: Writing

10:00 - 11:00: Life Science

11:00 - 12:00: Art (2 days/wk) & Geography (3 days/wk)

12:00 - 12:30: Lunch

12:30 - 01:00: Math

01:00 - 02:00: U.S. History

02:00 - 02:30: Philosophy & Logic (3 days/wk) & Critical Thinking (2 days/wk)

02:30 - 03:00: Literature

I posted my schedule for advice and was criticized for how long our days were, but here it is again since our kids are the same age... Keep in mind it includes things like bible study time, piano practice and reading during our school hours. :)

2011-2012 Schedule

7:30-8:45

1. Box:

5th: Bible-The Most Important Book You will Ever Study, WWE4, Wordly Wise original 2, Orbiting w/Logic

7th: Bible-The Most Important Book You will Ever Study, WWS1, Vocabulary for the High School Student, Fallacy Detective/The Thinking Toolbox

2. 1rst semester lit - CLE

2nd semester lit - 5th: Veritas White Fang/Call of the Wild and 7th: Lightning Lit 7.

8:45-9:30

CLE Math

9:30-10:15

CLE Language Arts

10:15-11:00

First Form Latin 1 w/ me

11:00-11:30

Lunch w/ read aloud

11:30-12:30

5th- piano

7th- Apologia General Science

12:30-1:30

7th- piano

5th- CLE Science

1:30-2:00

History notebooking: mapwork, timeline, summarizing, and outlining

2-3

History silent reading w/ Mom reading too!

Edited by LNC

Melissa B. what do you use for Music Theory? I really need something but don't know of any resources. Thanks,

Obviously I'm not Melissa B ;) but we do Music Theory too. We use the ABRSM Theory of Music workbooks which are available on http://www.amazon.com for about $3 up. If you want the teacher's guide, the pink book covers Grades 1-5, and the blue book covers Grades 6-8. I did these courses as a child, and my DDs are now working through them.

If you use these and want your dc to take the exams, this webpage gives some information.

Here is mine -- subject to change after the first two weeks.

The time slots are to see what is manageable, and I actually use a wet-erase marker to check off items as they are finished. I did this last year, and it really helped us. I'm trying to get piano moved to Tuesday so I only have to leave the house one day. We would then be able to complete four full days of school, and the boys will just do independent work in the morning.

post-1122-13535085324943_thumb.jpg

post-1122-13535085324943_thumb.jpg

My kids do history, science, grammar and art together. These are scheduled throughout the day and other things are scheduled as it seems convenient. For instance, they do math at the same time so I can sit next to both of them and help as needed. I do a lot of explaining and they often watch what I'm demonstrating to the other person. Latin is schedule differently. They are both doing Latin for Children but are on different chapters. They can't watch the dvd at the same time so that is scheduled for different times, usually overlapping with the other person's writing. This also works out because for my third grader, writing can be overwhelming and I wanted to be there to "hold her hand" through it (tears are common in this class) and my fifth grader is very independent with Latin. I only had two to schedule out and how I did it was in Excel, I put the time along the right hand side in fifteen minute increments and Monday through Friday along the top twice (once for each kid). Then I could easily block off times each child was doing a particular thing and match it up with what the other one was doing at that time. I have to say, I find the thought of trying to schedule three or more very overwhelming. :)

Last year (our first year), I obsessed about The Schedule a lot over the summer and came up with something I thought would work. It got ditched and simplified a month or so into the school year. The new schedule got followed so loosely that I thought I wouldn't do a schedule for this year, especially with how much time it took me to develop the first one. Then one day I just sat down and made one and it came out fairly easily. (Hey, look! I learned from last year!) :) My kids like having the structure and they like having a schedule. I think because when they get done early, they feel like they "beat the clock" or something. They know the schedule is flexible and subject to change and they can always work ahead, but it's a tool to keep them from falling behind.

Anyway, all that to say, I'm not going to type it all out because it's different each day for each child and I don't know how to do those fancy attachments. :)

Hi Susie,

I use an online class for Music Theory. I have NO background in music and honestly couldn't even attempt to teach it myself. :blush:

Melissa B. what do you use for Music Theory? I really need something but don't know of any resources. Thanks,

I'll have an 11th grader, 7th grader, and 5th grader

This is what I'm planning for our first semester. I keep it loose though because it will probably need tweaking as we go along:

6:30 Mom gets up, feeds pets, coffee, e-mail. unloads dishwasher, starts laundry

7:15 Mom takes quick shower

7:30 rouse kids

8:00 breakfast - 11th grader presents a current even topic, 7th grader presents a topic from This week in history, Mom reads from inspirational book, scripture or about saint of the week or science book (depends on day of the week)

9:00 11th grader does independent work - 7th and 5th grader work on Latin and math

10:30 each day is going to be a bit different: Monday and Wed we go to Latin class (for me and 11th grader) younger kids bring along other work - either finish up Latin and math or do writing, drawing, or reading during Latin class)

Lunch @ 12:00 or so

Afternoon - work on worksheets for Thursday co-op (5th grader)

7th grader finished up whatever didn't get done in the morning: plus grammar, logic or science (depends on day) as well as beginning computer programming.

11th grader has lots of outside classes and is really independent, planning his own time. I just have to find niches of time to meet with him for oversight purposes. Not sure how this will work out, we'll see.

Fridays a.m. 11th grader goes to Chemistry class; younger kids do science labs in a.m. and p.e. in the p.m. Fridays might be for fieldtrips and errands too.

It is pretty loose! But I have a general game plan. It is better for us to see how things fall out naturally rather than overplan a head of time.