Menu

Dealing with sadness about starting school again?

A question for those of you for whom sending your children to school is not your choice or preference. How do you deal with potential feelings of sadness about school starting? My daughter goes back to PS 1st grade this week and I'm already starting to really mourn her being gone all day and just giving up all that precious time and interaction with her. This is my husband's preference and decision that she go to PS (she also went for K).

I've planned for afterschooling and plan to be involved as much as time permits with her school and class but I'm really dreading this and I'm SAD!!!

A question for those of you for whom sending your children to school is not your choice or preference. How do you deal with potential feelings of sadness about school starting? My daughter goes back to PS 1st grade this week and I'm already starting to really mourn her being gone all day and just giving up all that precious time and interaction with her. This is my husband's preference and decision that she go to PS (she also went for K).

I've planned for afterschooling and plan to be involved as much as time permits with her school and class but I'm really dreading this and I'm SAD!!!

I don't know. I feel the same way - and my last is starting K. I don't know how I deal with it, but I do feel sad! Do you have other kids at home? How often will you be in her classroom at school?

If you don't have other kids, I'd suggest planning a project that you can look forward to feeling successful about: organizing photos, painting a room, that sort of thing.

Will dh not even consider hsing? Even for a trial period? Honestly, I cannot imagine sending my babies off and I totally feel your pain. It was difficult for me to watch my graduate head off to college!

When we first started hsing, honestly it was more dh than I with the desire. I talked to my pastor's wife, because I was overwhelmed with the thought of hsing all those years through graduation. She told me to take one year at a time, and decide near the end of the school year or over the summer what was best for the next year. Obviously, I never looked back, but would your dh consider letting you hs for a year, then getting standardized testing or something to evaluate how it went? Not knowing where you live and the laws there, I cannot suggest more than that.

If it is absolutely not an option, I can only sympathize. :grouphug:

Most days I am sad, but the occasional moment creeps in when I cannot wait for the kids to goto school next month (generally when they are fighting or driving me crazy at the grocery store). This is the first time my kids will be gone all day. DS did a year of half day school before being HSed. DD did a year of 1/2 day as well. They will both be in school full time and it'll just be me and DD3. I don't know what we're going to do all day, but I'm sure I'll find something.

Thanks all for responding.

I have been and will continue to work from home about 30 hours a week so I will be able to stay busy while she's gone. I'm just hoping now that I can have all my work done by the time she gets home for the day.

I've talked with dh as much as he will deign to listen about homeschooling and, although not against it across the board, he feels it is much more needful financially for me to work and that it is good for my social butterfly daughter to be in school.

God has given me a lot of grace on this b/c it really broke my heart and I could not get past that for a long time. Now, I just keep reminding myself that if it is His plan that we homeschool that He would lead my dh in that direction. Since dh is not so inclined, I just have to take it on faith that it is not God's will at this time.

Oh, and she is an only child so no more littles at home :sad:

Thanks for listening! I look forward to being a part of the afterschool board this year! School starts here on Thursday.

I am a little different that I am really excited for my boys to start. I'll have one starting K and one starting 1st. However, the last month and especially the last day of Kindergarten, this past school year for my oldest son, was so hard. I cried, and I was a bit depressed for May and June. I did get the waves of sadness and panic of "wanting to put the breaks on." I know how hard it can get! As the summer has rolled on, I have gone from being a little depressed to actually feeling excited for them to start school and begin new adventures. I get a ton of joy from volunteering in the classroom. I love to be able to see the boys interact with the teacher and their peers.

I know you said you are working but if you can take one sick day a month and get in the classroom to watch your daughter, I would highly recommend it!

Guest Angelika

I exactly know what you must be feeling. I am in the exact same situation. I prayed for many months for DH to change his mind about sending my sweet daughter to PS kinder and that he would see the value of classical homeschooling and "let me" do that. He did not change his mind, registered her in July and now she will be starting in a week. Like you said, my heart sank too and my only comfort is thinking that it must be God's will. I have signed up to volunteer as a room mom and also will be helping the teacher with reading groups in the class room. This way I can be around her, see what is going on in the class (I am an over protective momma :001_smile:). I do have a 4 yr at home. it will be a big adjustment for him as well as he and his sister are attached at the hip and enjoyed learning together till now. I am planning on after schooling her with SOTW, FLL, and supplement the math and the reading PS curriculum.

Only things I can suggest to you are to try maybe volunteering in her classroom if your work schedule allows it, and possibly make plans to have lunch or meet a good friend on the first few days after drop off in the morning. Good luck. I hope it will be a smooth transition for both of you!

Well...mine come home from school super happy. They always have fun and enjoy the company at school. I miss them a lot but I still supplement tons! I like adding in my own books for subjects in addition and we do lots of extra math. BUT....If we dont have time to do our work...I dont push it. I still consider myself a homeschool mom but my girls are starting their 3rd year in school. Ahhhh. My son has been back in PS a year now. We do what we have to do for our families! You sound lucky to be able to work at home!! That's wonderful!!

I am very upset about sending my 5yr old. We went to Kindergarten orientation today. Basically, they did a "carpet time," some stations (puzzles, coloring, etc), and an assessment. This was to help the teachers split the children up more evenly. We parents had a little presentation by one of the teachers. Most of it was basic; but they also showed us a copy of the assessment. Princess knew everything on it (and more). It bugs me they don't even have something else to consider for kids who may know more than letters, sounds, and how to count to 10. Shouldn't they at least know what the kids know so they could think about teaching them? I know Princess won't be the most advanced kid they have. I've had only a few months to work with her. But I hate that she'll be biding her time all day then I have to add afterschooling on top of 3-4 afternoons of therapy, homework, sports, etc.

I feel similarly for my 4 yr old (school-based HeadStart).

On the other hand, I do have to say that I think school will be very good for my 3 yr old (he's in school-based HeadStart also).

And I *definitely* think these kids need considerable amount of time away from each other. It has crossed my mind that even when I *do* have a choice, I may homeschool one first then very slowly (over several years) add the other two in. They desperately need to lose their LGM-ness (http://edufunmom.wordpress.com/2011/07/21/little-green-men/).

But it really bugs me to send kids to school. And it is bugging me extra to send Princess at this point in time <sigh>

I am sad, because as a teacher it means my vacation is over!:lol:

But seriously...my son starts 3 year old pre-school. We never sent my daughter to school until she was 5 (I did fun stuff at home with her) - we planned to do the same with our son. However, he needs speech/language therapy. The pre-school by our house does a wonderful job of providing private instruction while integrating into his classroom and working with him in class. I felt he really needed it, and he definitely is excited to go. I take him to his orientation on Tuesday. He starts Wednesday.

My daughter...who I always worry about because she is so emotional...is changing schools this year. She was at Catholic school. It was very small and I knew everyone, and I kind of liked that. The education was a bit antiquated, but with the exception of math I felt she was learning. She hated it. She thought the teachers were way too mean and she couldn't stand only have a class of 12 kids. I took her to visit the nearby public school and did a bunch of research. She loved her visit, and frankly they have a lot more to offer her immediately and in the long run. I worry because now she will have 28 in her class. I worry because it is different and I don't know everyone and...and...and...you get the idea. She starts Tuesday with a half day. I will be over there with the PTA President offering my services and getting my "in".

Can you tell I am a control freak? :lol: