Menu

What to see, where to eat-Boston,NH, and Maine

We are going to look at colleges with our baby. Boston College, Dartmouth, Bates, and Bowdoin in Maine. Anybody with insider info on where to eat, play, shop, etc post it here. We will have plenty of leisure time. We also have a day in Portland Maine (tickets to the Sea Dawgs :-)

Dh and I vacationed in Maine for a week 2 years ago. I grew up outside of Portland and so enjoyed the return visit and getting to introduce dh to the area. Fun things to do in Portland: visit the Old Port, historic downtown area with great shops/galleries. Take a harbor tour - cheap and fun to take a boat tour of the Casco Bay- you'll see lighthouses as well as some great sea life. While you're in the Portland area, drive over to Cape Elizabeth and go to Fort Williams park. The most photographed lighthouse in the world the Portland Headlight is located here and was commissioned by George Washington. While in Cape Elizabeth, head over to Two Lights State Park and eat at The Crab Shack. YUM!

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch... don't know where you are from originally, but eat a bagel while you're there! Nothing like a bagel from up north! Oh how I miss Mister Bagel!

Oh... Freeport. You'll go through Freeport, home of L.L. Bean - that was a must visit for us! But if you have time, after visiting Bowdoin, keep heading up highway 1 into Camden! Talk about a charming town. Beautiful. There was a cute pub that we ate in... had lobster pizza... so very yummy. If you want more info, feel free to pm me and I'm happy to help in any way. Also, check out the book Hidden Maine (this is a great series).

When are you going? Enjoy... what a fun (if bittersweet) trip. :)

We live in CT and drove up for the day (4 hours each way!) to take my mom to her 50th class reunion from nursing school. Dd and I go every year and while Mom is lunching with her classmates, we do Portland! My mom is from Maine, and lived in Portland for several years during/after nursing school. It's one of our very favorite cities in the world. REally small and compact, but so rich in history and diversity. Very safe, very clean, and very family-friendly.

TN Mama gave some WONDERFUL recommendations--- I heartily second all of them, especially Portland Head Light. Stunning. Also not to be missed is the home of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, right in downtown Portland, on Congress Street, I believe. This year we went to the Victoria Mansion, which was really impressive and not expensive. We had lunch at a little bistro on Congress Street called "Dave's" which was excellent. Portland has an AMAZING variety of awesome restaurants, so if you like to eat, it's a wonderful city.

And if you're looking for a place to eat in Boston, DO NOT MISS Durgin Park and the Union Oyster House

Have a wonderful trip! Congratulations to you and your dd--- those are some excellent colleges!

We had lunch at a little bistro on Congress Street called "Dave's" which was excellent. Portland has an AMAZING variety of awesome restaurants, so if you like to eat, it's a wonderful city.

Is this where you ate? If so... you are so right! YUM! We enjoyed a lunch here one day.

Is this where you ate? If so... you are so right! YUM! We enjoyed a lunch here one day.

YES! That's IT! YUM.....their chicken salad was DELICIOUS! :-)

We ate outside in the sidewalk cafe, and it was lovely because there was a flower show going on just steps away in Monument Square, which the restaurant faces.

I'm glad you enjoyed it too! See that, Cat in Black? That's TWO hearty recommendations for David's! :-)

Thanks. Dave's looks wonderful.

What kind of a person would not like to eat? Our family centers our whole lives around eating. We plan vacations around restaurants.

Ahh....we're kindred spirits, then! :-) Ever watch "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" on the Food Channel? Sheesh--- you'll be in heaven!

YES! That's IT! YUM.....their chicken salad was DELICIOUS! :-)

We ate outside in the sidewalk cafe, and it was lovely because there was a flower show going on just steps away in Monument Square, which the restaurant faces.

I'm glad you enjoyed it too! See that, Cat in Black? That's TWO hearty recommendations for David's! :-)

I think I ate a turkey sandwich... and I can't remember what dh had... chowder I think. Everything was fabulous. How funny that we both enjoyed dining at David's :) I enjoyed looking through my photos last night and remembering our trip. I may have to post a few more pictures.

For NH - Going out to Dartmouth is a looonnnnggggg ride on 89. It's a small highway (just 2 lanes) and not any place to really stop along the way until you get out to Lebanon/Hanover.

There is an Italian place called Lui-Lui's that Dh and I love that isn't far off the highway out there - they have a restaurant local to us as well - brick-oven pizza and really good Italian dishes. My favorite is the Chicken & Prosciutto Marsala....mmmmm....

No advice for Boston - even though I grew up in MA and my Dad worked for the "T" (Mass Transit) for 30 years - I'm phobic of the city and avoid it at all costs.

Enjoy your adventure! :001_smile:

but I always went to Fanuiel (sp?) Hall and Quincy Market when I visited Boston with my parents a few times in high school. The hall is mostly shops, the market, food. The set up reminds me of the Inner Harbor here in Baltimore, but with better food and ambience. I can't remember any specific eateries, but I do remember you could get clam chowder in a bread bowl which was awesome, along with lobster and other local stuff.

Apart from going to one of the little lobster places in Rockport or Gloucester for sea food... I have not really been anywhere in New England where I have thought the seafood was a good price, cooked right, and the right portion for the money.

The best, freshest sea food place that I like is a chain, but a local one, Legal Seafood. It is pricey, but it is worth it.

We're in the Mid Coast Area of ME, not sure how far North you'll be going...

...but may I recommend DeLorme Maps in Yarmouth. They have a HUGE rotating globe which is very cool and a small, but complete map store. I thought "Maps, umm...okay..." but I always stop when we go to Portland. If you like used book stores, Rt 1 from Yarmouth to Freeport has a couple. One that is fairly obvious on Rt 1 North it would be to the left, and another smaller one called Annies Used Books on the right hand side. Sorry those aren't terribly complete directions.

Freeport itself has a great nature area called Wolfe's Neck Farms. I've only been once, and I barely scratched the surface of all there is to do there. Freeport, in addition to L.L.Bean has a large variety of Outlet stores down Maine street if you are into that sort of thing. (I mean, one should stock up for college, no?)

There are also trails and art galleries, state parks....ocean beaches...and let me just recommend one of my favorite diners in Wiscasset (perhaps out of the way for you...further up Rt 1) which is Sarah's...yummy...and if you order a drink from the bar: LOOK OUT. They make 'em good.

My parents used to live in Brunswick for years - I still miss the Fat Boy drive in - it's a classic. Expect a wait - but it's totally worth it.

I don't recall anything standing out in Brunswick or Freeport (hit the Bean outlet, though). In Boston I love all things North End. My favorite place to eat on earth is Gallaria Umbertos - I think it's on Hanover. Again - it's a semi dive with a HUGE line but the food's cheap and delicious. Also hit Mike's Pastry for a treat. I really don't think you can go wrong anywhere in the North End.

Have a great trip - I love the Northeast and miss it dearly!

We are going to look at colleges with our baby. Boston College, Dartmouth, Bates, and Bowdoin in Maine. Anybody with insider info on where to eat, play, shop, etc post it here. We will have plenty of leisure time. We also have a day in Portland Maine (tickets to the Sea Dawgs :-)

I grew up in Maine, and my Dad is a graduate of Boston College! He's the only person in real life that I know I can talk with about Latin, logic, and rhetoric (things I didn't know about until four years ago)! LOL

Anyway, no one has mentioned Marden's yet. Marden's is in Portland, Bangor, Sanford, and a few other towns in Maine. It's a huge surplus outlet where you can get all sorts of stuff, cheap. It's my favourite place to go when I'm in Maine.

Have fun!

Ohdeargoodnessgracious....the Ben and Jerry's outside of LLBean. I hit it EVERYTIME I'm in Freeport (which with my daughters VT is once a week...) SHSHHHHHHSSSHHHHH don't tell anyone. Least of all don't tell myself who is trying to figure out where that weight gain is coming from...

Marden's! I've only been here a coupleyears and we don't have a Marden's nearby and I've never been. But it's all my friends talk about! It's all about Reny's in my area. I wonder if they are similar?? I'm missing out I think...I didn't know there was one in Pland....

Boston: The Union Oyster House. It's right near Fanueil Hall. It's very old, and I'm fuzzy on whether it's the oldest continually running restaurant (in Boston, or MA, or something, can't remember which) or just the oldest. But the food is great and so is the service.

If you are headed that way, The Wayside Inn in Sudbury, MA is a fun experience, but we haven't been there in years.

Ohdeargoodnessgracious....the Ben and Jerry's outside of LLBean. I hit it EVERYTIME I'm in Freeport (which with my daughters VT is once a week...) SHSHHHHHHSSSHHHHH don't tell anyone. Least of all don't tell myself who is trying to figure out where that weight gain is coming from...

Marden's! I've only been here a coupleyears and we don't have a Marden's nearby and I've never been. But it's all my friends talk about! It's all about Reny's in my area. I wonder if they are similar?? I'm missing out I think...I didn't know there was one in Pland....

I LOOOOOVE Ben and Jerry's and the grocery stores here just started a few years ago importing a few flavours....but just a few.....I feel it's Christmas every time I hit Hannaford's in Maine to get a much cheaper pint of it...here it's over $6 a pint.

Marden's is similar to Reny's, but cheaper. More variety. You HAVE to go check it out if you like surplus stores. I've gotten things like huge boxes of computer paper, Prang art supplies, good quality dishes, discounted chocolate, everything. There might be one in Lewiston area, too.

In Maine http://www.thegoldenrod.com we only had breakfast there but it was good and they make saltwater taffy that is amazing. Boston, No name Restaurant it's been there for years. Also, don't miss http://www.kimballfarm.com/ for ice cream.

Lynn, I just had to tell you that you brought up 2 of my favorites! We lived in Westford, MA, when I was growing up - right down the road from Kimball's! My mom and dad still live w/in a half hour and love going here.

And, we spent 2 weeks in Cape Neddick, Maine - just north of York, where Goldenrod is. We all love that place! Thanks for bringing up such great memories.