Menu

Digital Scrapbooks?

I posted a few weeks ago asking for advice regarding how to download a blog to book form and which companies you recommend for making photo books...

well, I have since ordered 2 from Snapfish and 1 from shutterfly. They turned out beautifully(I'm hooked!) but they are somewhat costly to make-even with great coupons!!...how does digital scrapbooking work?

I saw one on Smilebox that is free to use the backgrounds etc but I don't understand how to print it out...how does one do this and how much does it cost?

Do any of you own a digital program? How do you make your bks and how much does it cost for an 8X11 20 page book?

Do all of the companies charge for shipping like Snapfish does (it was almost $15!)?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!!

Kathi

I'm a digital scrapbooker. I use Photoshop to create my layouts. I purchase digtal scrapbooking items (elements and papers) from, The Sweet Shoppe, Scrap Orchard, and 9th and Bloom, among others.

I print my layouts at home and put them into an album. Sometimes I'll send them to Sam's Club for printing as well.

Here's my gallery: http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=630&username=jannylynn

This article might help you get started:

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/article.asp?article_id=2

I use Photoshop Elements to create my scrapbook pages. (It's the baby version of Photoshop.) I purchase digital products from the on-line stores. I often buy from Scrapbook Graphics and DSP. Many of these on-line stores have some freebies to get you started.

Most people make square pages, although a few people might do letter-size. I make them 12 x 12 and then I can print them at any other smaller square size. If I don't need the best quality I print 8 x 8 on my Epson laser printer. I have also had prints made to put into a standard scrapbook like those that you can buy at Michaels.

I just had my first book printed with about 30 pages at a 10 x 10 size. On sale it was around $50. Books are expensive, but they are also very beautiful.

I'm a digital scrapbooker. Like one of the posters above, I buy all of my things from online stores. It's just like paper scrapbooking but on the computer....there are stores full of digital scrapping items just waiting to be purchased! A few of my favorites are Sweet Shoppe Designs, Scrap Orchard, and The Lilypad.

I make them in 12x12 format and keep them in a folder on my computer called "waiting to be printed." For my birthday each year, FIL sends me a $100 check. I use this and add some money to it to get a book printed that's about 70 - 80 pages. Usually around that time they are running a special...this year it was 20% off of photo books and free shipping. I order mine from Shutterfly...love their quality....and I only order when I can get a percentage off, as well as free shipping.

After they are printed, I file them into folders on my computer by year.

I hope I understand what you are asking.

There is a big difference between using digital scrapbooking using Photoshop Elements or Photoshop and using a service like Shutterfly.

Many digital scrappers do use Shutterfly and similar sites to print their pages or books. The difference is in the method used to create the scrapbook pages.

Shutterfly, Costco, and other online services have free software you can use to design your pages. They have templates and 'papers', and you can write titles and such. But you are limited to what they offer as far as layout, color, themes, etc. It is a great option for people who want to get a book done quickly and are not picky about using their own designs and creativity. The end result is a book with photos and memories that looks great.

Using Photoshop Elements or Photoshop allows a lot more creativity in designing the scrapbook pages. There is pretty much no limit to what can be done. I like the options I have and would feel quite frustrated and stifled if all I could use for my albums is what Shutterfly offers, layouts that someone else designed. I prefer to design my pages myself. I can design in 12x12, then print as 6x6 or 8x8 or 10x10. I can change opacity on some photos or elements and use blending modes. I can always get the perfect color and change colors of papers or elements. I buy digital scrapbooking supplies like the other posters do. I have no limit to what I can do with my scrapbooks and photos, which is what I want. This is the benefit of using PSE or PS instead of what a service offers. My finished pages can still be uploaded and printed as individual pages to put into a regular scrapbook album or printed as a book.

I hope I understand what you are asking.

There is a big difference between using digital scrapbooking using Photoshop Elements or Photoshop and using a service like Shutterfly.

Many digital scrappers do use Shutterfly and similar sites to print their pages or books. The difference is in the method used to create the scrapbook pages.

Shutterfly, Costco, and other online services have free software you can use to design your pages. They have templates and 'papers', and you can write titles and such. But you are limited to what they offer as far as layout, color, themes, etc. It is a great option for people who want to get a book done quickly and are not picky about using their own designs and creativity. The end result is a book with photos and memories that looks great.

Using Photoshop Elements or Photoshop allows a lot more creativity in designing the scrapbook pages. There is pretty much no limit to what can be done. I like the options I have and would feel quite frustrated and stifled if all I could use for my albums is what Shutterfly offers, layouts that someone else designed. I prefer to design my pages myself. I can design in 12x12, then print as 6x6 or 8x8 or 10x10. I can change opacity on some photos or elements and use blending modes. I can always get the perfect color and change colors of papers or elements. I buy digital scrapbooking supplies like the other posters do. I have no limit to what I can do with my scrapbooks and photos, which is what I want. This is the benefit of using PSE or PS instead of what a service offers. My finished pages can still be uploaded and printed as individual pages to put into a regular scrapbook album or printed as a book.

Thanks for the explanation. So you can take your pages, have them printed (at CVS/places that print photos?) and put them in a regular 12X12 album sleeve? How much does it cost to print up a page? Just trying to figure out which is most cost effective. I was a bit stifled by the layout and text options in Snapfish but made do since it was a buy1 get 2 free deal;) I do like to write a bit more text than was afforded in the Shutterfly and Snapfish options.

Thanks for the explanation. So you can take your pages, have them printed (at CVS/places that print photos?) and put them in a regular 12X12 album sleeve? How much does it cost to print up a page? Just trying to figure out which is most cost effective. I was a bit stifled by the layout and text options in Snapfish but made do since it was a buy1 get 2 free deal;) I do like to write a bit more text than was afforded in the Shutterfly and Snapfish options.

Yes! It depends on where you have it done. I'm pretty sure CVS and shops that do standard print will be very costly because they will charge for a poster print.

It's about $1 at Sam's for 8x8. I have never printed a 12x12 though. Persnickety prints does them for $1.99.

I don't do it because one is cheaper than the other. I prefer the creative outlet from creating my own pages from scratch.

So you can take your pages, have them printed (at CVS/places that print photos?) and put them in a regular 12X12 album sleeve? How much does it cost to print up a page? Just trying to figure out which is most cost effective.

Yes, many people print their pages and insert them into regular scrapbook album sleeves. If you already have scrapbooks in progress, or you have empty scrapbooks waiting to be filled, this is a good option. I usually print my pages at Costco because it is convenient for me.

Every place that prints pages has a different price. You should check out prices at the locations convenient for you to print. At Costco, a 12x12 page costs $2.99 and an 8x8 costs $1.49.

Sometimes uploading your layouts and having them printed into a book can be the same cost or cheaper. You have to add up the cost of your scrapbook album and page protectors or sleeves. Depending on what scrapbooks you use, that could cost you $35 - $50. Then add the cost of each printed page. Then compare the same number of pages printed at Shutterfly (or wherever) as a book. Often there is a base price of, say, $45 for 10 or 15 pages, then a set price for each additional page. You may be surprised to find that the printed books are not always more expensive. It just costs the full amount at one time instead of printing a few pages at a time.

Shutterfly (and other services) often offer coupons that can make the printed photo book less expensive than printing pages and buying a scrapbook and page protectors or sleeves.

Also consider the time element. The downside to printing a full book at Shutterfly (or elsewhere) is that you have to have all the layouts completed before you print it. That may not be a problem for you, but if it takes you a long time to get 50 or 75 pages completed, you have to wait a long time to see any finished product. Printing the layouts page by page and inserting them into an album at home means you can see the results far more quickly and watch the album grow. If you want to save money by waiting for a coupon then you need to have layouts completed and know you won't print the book until you get sent the coupon, and you won't know when that sale will take place. Some people will be bothered by this, and others won't. Everyone is different as far as this goes, but it is something to consider.

I am not sure that one way is better than the other. It just depends on what finished product you desire.

I use Photoshop Elements as well. It runs about $70.00 at Costco and can be used for photo editing in addition to digital scrapping. If you're interested, Scrap Orchard has a series of video tutorials on how to make a digital layout in PSE (they have a free kit you can download and follow along with).

I don't do a lot--I usually use it more for cards/invitations, but I'm hoping to get more into it (I say, as the upcoming school year looms over my head. . . ). But I enjoy it much, much more than paper scrapping. For starters, it's considerably less expensive, even factoring in the cost of the software and printing. And no mess to clean up :D

I use Scrapbook Max 2.0 (because I can't figure out Photoshop to save my life). I think the one made my Creative Memories is very nice also. I download all the freebie papers, elements, alphabets, fonts, etc I can get my hands on. I do buy occasionally, but only if it's a good deal and I really need the theme (like when my ds played basketball). I then print my pages at Scrapping Simply (Persnickety Prints has similar prices). I try to wait until pages are on sale. Then I place the pages in albums I buy, usually at JoAnns for 50% off. I keep my files so if I get a good deal on books (like at Snapfish, etc) I can upload them and make books for grandparents, aunts, etc.

ETA: I make 8x8 pages. As much as I would love to do 12x12, and I know they'd be nicer, I just can't afford twice the cost when I know I wouldn't fill the pages. Now, often times, my page is pretty full of pics, so not a lot of room left for cute layouts-- but I pay 99 cents a page or less for printing (and could technically print them myself if needed).

Edited by raceNzanesmom

Thanks so much for your responses...this really does help me understand it. I was a paper scrapbooker for a few years and then as our family grew it just became too daunting. Being able to do a few pages at a time makes sense too....hmm lots to consider.

Our 2 adopted children will be home 5 years this December and I know it would bless them so much to have an album like their siblings have.(yes, it has been at least 5 yrs since I've worked on paper albums!) So maybe, I could get them an actual album at AC Moore with 40 or 50% off ...do the 8X8 pages and present it to them then. Doing a few pages a month would be more affordable too....I could just go to the freebie website's for page layouts save them and print when prints are on sale.

I am not a costco member...but we have CVS,Walgreens,Walmart, and RiteAids nearby....do they do the larger pages(8X8) too?

Thanks all for helping me think!!

Blessings,

Kathi

Jessica sprague has a great website with free photoshop tutorials...I would start there...I create my 12x12 pages, then wait for a good album sale...shutterfly has albums for 30 dollars, they are amazing, I pay the ten dollars extra for the soft cushiony cover...

Hth

Jessica sprague has a great website with free photoshop tutorials...I would start there...I create my 12x12 pages, then wait for a good album sale...shutterfly has albums for 30 dollars, they are amazing, I pay the ten dollars extra for the soft cushiony cover...

Hth

Thanks! I'll check it out :)

I scrap with Photoshop (but there are tons of free programs or inexpensive programs to use), and then just print them in 8x8 photos from an online service called Persnickety Prints when they're about .75. I don't like doing photobooks since I don't necessarily scrap chronologically, but I do store chronologically.

I am traditionally a paper scrapbooker. I love the hands-on aspect...plus I just like playing with all the goodies...ribbon, embellishments, metal, grommets, etc.

HOWEVER....I just made a photobook on Disney's "photopass" website from our last trip to Disney World this past March. I wanted to make albums for both sets of grandparents, as well as myself, and quite frankly, I just didn't have the time to paper scrapbook it all.

Anyway....I LOVE the books! The quality is fantastic and they turned out beautifully!! Yes, they cost an arm and a leg (which I expected from Disney), but they are DONE!! And they are GORGEOUS! And they saved me hours and hours of time. Plus, I'm not sure I could have done it that much less expensively with traditional scrapbook albums (embellishments cost a fortune these days!).

So, I may just foray into this world of digital scrapbooking in the future. At least occasionally.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much Shutterfly would charge for a 28 page (double spread...28 individual pages or 14 page double spread), 8x8, hardcover (well...a vinylish embossed cover with 2 lines of gold lettering on the front, personalizing the album) photo book??

A great option (though no less costly) if you don't want to learn all the ins & outs of buying your own digital papers, etc. is Picaboo.

Complete total creative freedom, no limit on where you can place photos or text, yet the ease of using Snapfish or Shutterfly. Plus you download the program (free download) and work on your computer off-line and then upload to order.

I am traditionally a paper scrapbooker. I love the hands-on aspect...plus I just like playing with all the goodies...ribbon, embellishments, metal, grommets, etc.

HOWEVER....I just made a photobook on Disney's "photopass" website from our last trip to Disney World this past March. I wanted to make albums for both sets of grandparents, as well as myself, and quite frankly, I just didn't have the time to paper scrapbook it all.

Anyway....I LOVE the books! The quality is fantastic and they turned out beautifully!! Yes, they cost an arm and a leg (which I expected from Disney), but they are DONE!! And they are GORGEOUS! And they saved me hours and hours of time. Plus, I'm not sure I could have done it that much less expensively with traditional scrapbook albums (embellishments cost a fortune these days!).

So, I may just foray into this world of digital scrapbooking in the future. At least occasionally.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much Shutterfly would charge for a 28 page (double spread...28 individual pages or 14 page double spread), 8x8, hardcover (well...a vinylish embossed cover with 2 lines of gold lettering on the front, personalizing the album) photo book??

I was also a paper scrapbooker, but I'm 100% Shutterfly now. I really have no idea about the cost of a 28 page 8x8 hardcover, but if you sign up for Shutterfly, you will get their offers/coupons ad nauseum - it's a good thing, though. I always, always get free shipping and I think they have a sale on 8x8 books right now. I just love that it is so simple to do. I have my album from Alaska on it's way to me now and I just got home 2 weeks ago!

A great option (though no less costly) if you don't want to learn all the ins & outs of buying your own digital papers, etc. is Picaboo.

Complete total creative freedom, no limit on where you can place photos or text, yet the ease of using Snapfish or Shutterfly. Plus you download the program (free download) and work on your computer off-line and then upload to order.

Thanks! I'll have to check our that site too!