Menu

Son wants to do a study on Greek Myths

I am creating a Greek Myths unit for my 4th grader based primarily on D'Aulaires-I'll be posting it on my blog when it's complete--probably in the next two to three weeks. Not sure if it will be advanced enough for your child, but I thought I'd put it out there. :)

He is reading the Golden Fleece right now and asked if he could read/study more along this type of thing. He just read the D'aulaire's Book of Greek Myths and the Percy Jackson books. He is not looking for a deep study but one more for pleasure. Please, I need some ideas...

Black Ships Before Troy by Sutcliff

The Wanderings of Odysseus by Sutcliff

The Children's Homer by Colum

Greek Myths by Coolidge

I am creating a Greek Myths unit for my 4th grader based primarily on D'Aulaires-I'll be posting it on my blog when it's complete--probably in the next two to three weeks. Not sure if it will be advanced enough for your child, but I thought I'd put it out there. :)

Thank you. He isn't looking for taxing just a light study so I will keep my eye on your blog.

Jim Henson's Greek Myths Storyteller series is great, though it's really a jumping off point. What's nice about it is that the stories aren't "Americanized" to make them happier, they're actually pretty tragic. (for some different, not often told stories, check out the other Storyteller series he's done. It's great! Made me sad that he wasn't able to continue with it.)

I also concur with the Horrible Histories books, they are outstanding! Hard to find in the US- try second hand book shops and ebay. :)

Jim Henson's Greek Myths Storyteller series is great, though it's really a jumping off point. What's nice about it is that the stories aren't "Americanized" to make them happier, they're actually pretty tragic. (for some different, not often told stories, check out the other Storyteller series he's done. It's great! Made me sad that he wasn't able to continue with it.)

I also concur with the Horrible Histories books, they are outstanding! Hard to find in the US- try second hand book shops and ebay. :)

Thanks to this thread :001_smile:, we watched Jim Henson's series last night and loved it. I agree that they were a bit tragic, but still very watchable and enjoyable. We liked getting a different perspective than we were used to.

We also LOVE Horrible Histories in this house.

The other thing he might enjoy doing is researching (via wikipedia, etc.) how the myths have been used across time. So for instance you'll see the myths popping up in new forms in CW Lewis' Till We Have Faces or Star Trek episodes.

I mentioned this to ds and got the "Duh, of course" look. Apparently he has been doing a much deeper study then I thought and started ticking off different movies, stories, and video games that took ideas from then myths.

Living in a college town that is known as a literary hub has it's great advantages...one being the city library (another is it's annual 3 day book fair). DS found a extensive collection of books on or about Greek Myths. Of course most are more then he is looking for but there were some gems he found, including the Bulfinch book.

This looks awesome! DD in particular is excited to take the test, she has announced already she will get 100%. I had already planned out our greek mythology for this but now to add the other things needed for the exam.

Just an aside from having done the test a couple years now. The award level is based on the total percent correct. Our first year, one of my kids ambitiously tried to do most of the sections, including some myths that he wasn't as familiar with as he should have been. He score reflected that. I was glad he attempted those sections, but there was a bit of a letdown that his score wasn't better.

If the bibliography says that a section is based on specific sections of an original work (Odyssey or Aeneid, for example) then the questions will be rather specific literary questions about that section. A retelling of the whole tale is not going to be enough prep for those sections.

I hope that made sense. My coffee is wearing off.