Menu

Record Keeping Software - do you use it?

jejily

I was curious as to how many of you use special software for keeping track of lesson plans, grades, etc.

I know Excel is a great tool, but do any of you use software designed especially for homeschool record-keeping?

So far I've seen Edu-Track (http://www.contechsolutions.net/products/eths_pc/) and Homeschool Tracker (http://www.homeschooltracker.com/). Are there others?

So, here are the questions for those who do use a special software program for tracking lesson plans, grades, records, etc:

1. Which program do you use?
  2. What do you like/dislike about the program you use?
  3. Have you used other programs -- and, if so, why did you quit using them?

TIA!!

Homeschool Tracker :)

1. Which program do you use? Homeschool Tracker :)
  2. What do you like/dislike about the program you use? I liked that they provide a free version of their program for when I was a new homeschooling mom and wasn't able to afford such programs (I don't like the free program, but it worked and I'm now buying the Plus edition). The Plus edition is a ONE TIME fee (you don't have to pay every year to keep using it). It includes free updates. There are yahoo groups that have lesson plan sharing files for various curriculums. So if you are using a particular currciculum, you can just import the file to your HST+ and not have to sit for hours imputing information. :) You can also share your files with others as long as you don't break copyright law with that particular curriculum.
  3. Have you used other programs -- and, if so, why did you quit using them? No, and I have no interest. I did comparisons with Edu-Track and was not impressed.

I've used Edu-Track all along, so I can't compare it to other programs. What I like best about Edu-Track is the flexibility I have with our schedule once I've inputted our lessons for the year. There's a "repeating lesson" function that makes it easy to create the plans for each subject for each boy for the whole year. With the subjects they do together, I can just copy and paste.

Once I have our year scheduled in the program, I print out a weekly schedule for each boy the weekend before, and I'm ready to go. The schedule has little check boxes so the boys can move through the day at their own pace. I can tell with a quick glance where we anytime during the day. The software also has a "bump" feature which allows me to move lessons that didn't get done during the week.

In addition, I can track many different items for each boy: literature, audio, video, software, games, field trips, testing, achievements, goals, curriculum, chores, etc. I use quite a few of these functions, but not all of them; however, they're there if I need them in the future.

Finally, there are many reporting options in Edu-Track. I don't need many of the reports since Texas does not require any paperwork, but I do print out the weekly schedules, and I also print out report cards at the end of the year. The boys think it's neat to get a report card like their friends, and I file these with our year end work in case I need them in the future.

HTH!

1. Which program do you use? Homeschool Tracker Plus
  2. What do you like/dislike about the program you use? I like the free upgrades, the awesome help they offer (through tutorials, the forum, and periodic online "classes"); I like the ease with which I can make changes, keep track of grades, and attendence. I wish I could make the assignment sheet look a little different (like my colorful one I used in Excel).
  3. Have you used other programs -- and, if so, why did you quit using them? I used Edutrack for a while, but it was difficult to figure out, and I couldn't get any of my questions answered on their website. When I needed to pay to upgrade, that caused me to look elsewhere. The only thing Edutrack has that I liked was an immunization record - which we need to have on hand here in NC.

I am just using a notebook. I have a "Homeschool Notebook" where I have weekly school charts. The subjects are listed, and I have the notebook open to write down what we do right after we do them. I have everything in one area, and at my fingertips. I also keep other important papers in my notebook such as a curriculum planner, schedules, to do list, etc. I also keep hard copies of the documents in my notebook. It protects me from computer crashes, and I don't have to back everything up daily to protect it. But that's just me. I like paper. :001_smile:

I notice on the screen shot of the attendance page for Homeschool Tracker there is a Bible verse. Are these on every page, or is there an option you can choose to NOT have them? What about Edu-Track?

I've been using Excel sheets, but now that I'm adding in a second student I thought about switching to something digital. I have to admit I'm disappointed that the folks at Homeschool Tracker believe that only Christians homeschool.

This next year I plan to use the Homeschool Tracker. I've just downloaded the free version - not sure I'm ready to spend $49 just yet. :) I'll see how much I use it and decide from there... My girls will be in 5th and 3rd grade, so I'm hoping I can give them a printed-out schedule for their week (for the subjects they can do on their own) and have more time to spend with my K'er ds. :) (that's the plan anyway...)

I'm using it now just for practice to get used to actually utilizing something like this. I'm not a record keeper by nature, so I need the practice! LOL

This next year I plan to use the Homeschool Tracker. I've just downloaded the free version - not sure I'm ready to spend $49 just yet. :) I'll see how much I use it and decide from there...

Orangearrow,

Just a warning for you....the free download is not nearly as convenient as the full, Plus version. Really and honestly. I tried to use the free version when dh was in kindergarten (just to get my feet wet with it) and it is not very flexible and quite cumbersome for inputting lessons. When I bit the bullet and spent the money, HST+ was like using a totally different program.

I'm not sure if the assignment calendar report is available in the free version, but it is absolutely my most favorite homeschooling tool: days of the week across the top, subjects/courses down the column. I print out two of these weekly, one for me and one for my 3rd grade son. There are days that he had done all his independent work by 10 am because he can see what he has to do and follows the grid. OK, not a lot of days, but there are days when it happens LOL!

You get lifetime upgrades with the Plus version and the customer service is absolutely excellent!

I use OneNote that came with my Microsoft Office 2007 and I love it. I can set up my forms anyway I want (for the control freak in me). I couldn't find a program that I didn't feel restricted by before and now I enjoy being able to put together my own at no extra cost.

I have my schedule, log, attendance and all planning in it. It's extremely easy, even for me. I can also scan documents and pictures directly into it and link Word documents, contacts, maps, other forms and web sites to a planning or scheduling page.

My "Intel" hubby showed me this great program. I spent a couple of days playing with it and had every bit of my documentation formats set up for the year. He then started asking me to show him how to use it. I loved that!

I notice on the screen shot of the attendance page for Homeschool Tracker there is a Bible verse. Are these on every page, or is there an option you can choose to NOT have them? What about Edu-Track?

Yes, there is an option to change that in HST. I can't remember how at the moment, but it would be in the user's manual.

I have tried Edu-Track and didn't like it. I also didn't like having to pay for all upgrades. I much prefer HST+.

Something else to keep in mind is that the customer service is absolutely the best I've ever experienced.

1. Which program do you use? I use HomeSchool Tracker (the free Version)

2. What do you like/dislike about the program you use? It took a while for me to learn how to use it. Once I understood, I really loved it. It is now easy to use, I love the reading log and the journal. I also love that is free.

3. Have you used other programs -- and, if so, why did you quit using them? I tried spreadsheets and printed logs. It was too much work on my part so I just quit them.