Menu

Cranberry Thanksgiving-so disappointed

lorrainejmc

I had waited patiently to get a reasonably priced used copy of this book to add to our library. It is just OK. Sigh.....

Maybe the kids will like it?

Do you mean you don't like the book, or the copy you got is not in good condition?

It's one of our favorites. It has become a habit in our family to quote several lines from this book. For example:

One line is something like "Don't trust a man just because he smells of lavender and carries a gold cane" We put this on our Christmas newsletter one year and we quote it to one another every time we have a suspicious encounter or hear about something that sounds too good to be true.

Even my 13 year old still wants to hear it read aloud each year. I always read it with distinct voices for each character. We just love the plot and characters. We also have a neighbor who looks like Mr. Whiskers!

I got the book because I LOVED How Fletcher was Hatched. That book was my all time favorite as a child. I assumed that my boys would prefer the one with the dog. They didn't! Still can't believe it.

But they really liked Cranberry Thanksgiving. Go figure. I'm not crazy about it, but I don't mind it, and I generally will read with a lot of expression and animation when I'm not sure that my ds 7 twins will love it.

That might be why they liked Cranberry Thanksgiving and were so-so about Fletcher. I read Cranberry Thanksgiving with enthusiasm because I was so sure they would HATE it!:tongue_smilie:

I think it's a sweet book. I remember being rather disappointed in it when I first checked it out of the library, though. I think the illustrations are rather substandard, so if you're more keyed into the illustrations than the story, you're going to be disappointed. But the story is actually very moving but gentle with a whole lot to teach your children. (Of course, I've encountered it in the course of my Five in a Row lessons...) So, I like it, and would be glad to get my own copy someday, as long as I don't have to pay more than a couple of dollars for it.

I actually have the ORIGINAL book from when I was a kid!! (I'm 43) It was one of my all time favorite books!! And that is saying alot...I LOVE books!!!

I started reading this to my 1st DD when she was little (she is 18) and it is still one of her favorite books, too!! It is such a family tradition..and we make the cranberry bread for Thanksgiving morning each year!!

Maybe the book isn't that great, and it just represents such happy memories for me??

It grew on me. My kids loved it and now I do too. I had never heard of it and had no expectations. We just picked it off the holiday shelf at the library around Thanksgiving. We only read it during November, we bake the cranberry bread. It's still not my favorite but we only read explicitly holiday books the month of that holiday so it is a great special occasion Thanksgiving read.

It's still not my favorite but we only read explicitly holiday books the month of that holiday so it is a great special occasion Thanksgiving read.

I should be so lucky. The boys picked it off the shelf yesterday. However, we are not about to bake the bread anytime soon!:tongue_smilie:Maybe it's wishful thinking on their part. They are waxing lyrical about jumping in leaf piles and carving pumpkins and snowball fights.....