Menu

self taught violin?

Yes there are, and there are also some good YouTube instructors.

ABC's of the Violin, intermediate is a nice method series, and this link is to a DVD version. I've not seen these DVDs, but I use this method with most of my students. If your dd is a beginner, there is also a beginner DVD from the same method.

I love Todd Ehle's videos on YouTube. (He goes by "ProfessorV on YouTube.)He has a nice manner, is very clear in his instructions and his videos have helped me immensely as a teacher. Again, I'm assuming your dd is past the beginner level, and these Wohlfahrt etudes I've linked to are standard repertoire before starting 3rd position.

There are probably more out there, but these are the first that came to mind. If your dd is interested in Celtic fiddle music, Natalie Macmaster had a video series. I'm not sure if it is still available, but you might find it on ebay. NatalieMacmaster.com is her site.

There are countless YouTube videos of Suzuki method, but I don't know the quality of any of them.

I wouldn't use DVDs for too long as a violinist needs lots of corrections in technique and intonation, corrections which can only be made by a teacher or good musician.

Hope that helps!

My seventeen year old daughter has been using The Violin Book series by Eden Vaning-Rosen for almost four years, and she is now in book six. This is a series designed for self instruction. It comes with books, CD's, and even a violin if you wish. There are checklists that the student must complete before going on. It has been successful for us, but our daughter is very motivated. Eden Vaning-Rosen and her husband have also been very helpful when we have had any problems.

www.violinbook.com is the website.

I truly wish that I had a pleasant way to say this. The last thing I like is to squelch a desire for music!

I would let a child teach herself violin only if she is willing to start over when she finds a teacher. Only an in-person teacher can check and recheck the fine points of posture, position of fingers, and bow technique. The student can't do this for herself.

I hope you find a teacher soon!

I truly wish that I had a pleasant way to say this. The last thing I like is to squelch a desire for music!

I would let a child teach herself violin only if she is willing to start over when she finds a teacher. Only an in-person teacher can check and recheck the fine points of posture, position of fingers, and bow technique. The student can't do this for herself.

I hope you find a teacher soon!

I agree. And I wish I had an alternative.

I agree.

My son even had a teacher who was in the orchestra, who apparently could not teach technique well. There comes a point that you CANNOT move further in violin unless you have proper technique, and it has taken my son 9 months with a good teacher to correct bad habits that had been formed over 4 years. quite discouraging for him and me.

If a teacher is not an option, you may want to try the piano or a fretted instrument.

Ruth in NZ (currently in MI)

We've always had a teacher (Suzuki). But even with me sitting in on every lesson, I had trouble working with her at home at a certain level. I just returned from a Suzuki camp. It was very evident who had received good training and who had so-so training. If your dc wants to learn violin, my advice is not only to find a teacher but find the best one you can afford. I know people who drive hours each week to get to their lessons. I used to question that, but know I get it.

That being said, it does depend on your goals. If her goals are to be able to play for fun now and then, picking it up on you tube is fine. If she aspires to be a musician, professional instruction is the only way, except, maybe for the rare prodigy :001_smile:.

If you can't find a classical violin teacher, you may want to look into fiddlers. However, you can go from classical to fiddler, but you most likely won't be able to come back. So it depends on your goals. There are very good fiddlers out there, I don't want to appear to diss fiddling. But overall, they have a less sharp technique than classical violinists.

In my son's case, if I couldn't find a classical violin teacher, I would simply drop violin for him as an instrument instead of trying it out on his own.

I'm trying to teach myself violin. I have wanted to play since I was 10, and for my 35th birthday my sweet dh bought me a violin. I agree a teacher would be best, but sometimes you don't have that option.

I am using SmartMusic on my computer. I have a mike hooked up, so it can tell if my note is in tune. It has beginner books on it to use. I use the Elemental ??? series. There are also fret stickers that you can buy to stick on the violin to show where to put the fingers. And finally, I printed off a finger chart and have it hanging by the computer.

Right now I sound pretty terrible, but at least I'm playing. And I will sound better in a year than if I had never started at all!

Good luck!

Is it as important in fiddling to have the best instructor? Most of the musicians I know are folk musicians who have learned from a friend or family member or are self-taught. If you know your goal is join in folk jams with other amateurs, and that you don't give a fig for classical music, does all of the above about undoing damage, etc., apply?

Is it as important in fiddling to have the best instructor? Most of the musicians I know are folk musicians who have learned from a friend or family member or are self-taught. If you know your goal is join in folk jams with other amateurs, and that you don't give a fig for classical music, does all of the above about undoing damage, etc., apply?

My gut feeling is no, it's not that important. I also know quite a few people who learned from other amateurs, and they're having fun in fiddling. They could never join the ranks of a classical orchestra, but it's never been their goal either.

I thought it might be helpful to read what my son could play after 5 years of violin without decent technique. It was a lot. So I don't want this discussion to discourage would-be musicians.

He could read music and sight read

He could play in tune

He could play reasonably fast

He could play loudly and softly

He was beginning to play by ear

He had memorized quite a few scales

He had learned quite a bit of theory

He played beautiful music with passion

He wrote music

He appreciated classical music and specifically the beauty of violin

For those who know the exams, he passed (without merit) the grade 4 Royal School Violin exam (equivalent to about 8th grade I think).

At this point, he could go no further without proper technique.

He could not make beautiful sound. You would know the difference, violin in tune but kind of like nails-on-a-black-board vs beautiful soul-searching sound. This requires good bowing. "Surfing the wave of sound" as our current teacher calls it.

He could not play very fast or very difficult combinations of notes. This requires proper technique in the left hand. It must be held a certain way and certain muscles must be stretched out and strengthened.

He could not play the many different kinds of sound. Once again, this is bowing. In piano it is really just loud or soft, in violin you can make perhaps 30 different types of sound (I sure some one can correct me).

He could not play very high notes. This technique for the left hand could possibly be figured out by trial and error, but it would be difficult.

He could not control the sound quality for the length of the bow. His bow was not straight, so the sound at either end would become wispy. This was caused by both his bow hold and his bowing arm.

He often made jumpy sounds, bump bump bump. this was caused by a poor bow hold which did not allow his hand to act like a spring to absorb the motion.

He could not play with vibrato. You can learn this on your own, but if you get it wrong, it is apparently virtually impossible to change. Our current teacher was taught wrong, and even now at age 40, he must practice his vibrato every day or he reverts to old habits.

So basically, you can get up to basic competency on your own or with a little help. But expect a year of regression to relearn if your child wants to go further.

Hope these details help,

Ruth

Edited by lewelma
editing

Just don't do it - unless they really will have a teacher soon and are confident enough as a musician to re-do....I never realized HOW important technique was until my kids went to a master class with other teachers - many of the kids there were homeschooled and partially self taught - it was shocking! I felt so sad for those kids - they really truely loved their music, but simply sounded awful! There is soooo much to the violin (I am an old pianist with 3 violin playing kids...), and when I pick one up to help my youngest with a song (believe me, between my own musical training and 3 kids doing suzuki, I now am "self-taught" a lot of basics...) they all laugh at my bow hand (which I have critiqued and worked with with them and their teachers for years - just not been taught myself), my tone, bowing, etc.

Pick another instrument, or limit yourself to fiddling while waiting for a good teacher - otherwise your child will have to unlearn soooo much - I've seen kids take 2 years with our present teacher to "fix" the problems from poor teaching - and personally I am impressed those kids don't just give up! I do know of some families here (rural Oregon) who have driven3 hours for lessons, every 2 weeks, and made progress - at least with a proper foundation, so maybe something like that would be an option?

Erin

I agree.

My son even had a teacher who was in the orchestra, who apparently could not teach technique well. There comes a point that you CANNOT move further in violin unless you have proper technique, and it has taken my son 9 months with a good teacher to correct bad habits that had been formed over 4 years. quite discouraging for him and me.

If a teacher is not an option, you may want to try the piano or a fretted instrument.

Ruth in NZ (currently in MI)

:iagree: Violin is an extremely difficult instrument, and honestly the first 2 to 3 years are the MOST important to have a teacher working with you to set good technique.

Having an advancing pianist at my house, I would even argue you might not want to go too far with piano either. We had a painful transition to a PhD level teacher after having a previous teacher much less fussy on technqiue.

I do know a number of people who had good success teaching themselves guitar though!