Menu

Why do you teach Latin?

kristinannie

I definitely want to teach Latin and have been looking into different programs. I have realized that I need to decide why I am teaching Latin. Is it to learn grammar and vocabulary or to actually be able to really speak and understand Latin. I am leaning towards the first reason since it is a "dead" language (although we are Catholic so it is used at mass sometimes). I would love to hear why YOU teach Latin!

There are some older threads on "why Latin" but they may be difficult to search for. Briefly i would say:

- to read Latin (not to speak it)

- grammar

- vocabulary

- brain development

- foundation for study of a Romance language later

:)

Edited by wapiti

There are some older threads on "why Latin" but they may be difficult to search for. Briefly i would say:

- grammar

- vocabulary

- brain development

:iagree:Ditto!

Because my daughter wanted to learn it. That's not to say I wouldn't have put it on our curriculum in a few years if she hadn't been interested in it, but for now, that's our primary reason. It was a combination of running into some Latin in church (and in the music that I sing) and scientific terminology that made her decide that this was really neat and she wanted to do it. Her enthusiasm hasn't ebbed yet (and she decided that she wanted to add Greek, too) -although if she could take a class in Ancient Egyptian, I suspect that would be even more appealing than Latin or Greek!

- grammar

- vocabulary

- brain development

:iagree:These are the reasons I plan to teach Latin. I will most likely wait until the logic stage to begin.

You might enjoy this thread discussing the brain development benefits of Latin.

- grammar

- vocabulary

- brain development

This seems to be the reason most of you all have for teaching Latin. So, which program fits these goals the best?

This seems to be the reason most of you all have for teaching Latin. So, which program fits these goals the best?

You will find that answer varies with age and verbal ability of the child.

My DS10 is doing well with Lively Latin, and I am pleased with the program. It teaches the grammar and declensions in a way that is within the grasp of this age group without being watered down (caveat: I say this, but I am not experienced in Latin myself beyond singing-- if you want experienced opinion in math, biology, writing, grammar, physics, languages in general, German, some kinesiology, I can put my hand up. All I can offer about Latin is that I lime this program as a lay person). It ties in the English grammar directly to the Latin grammar, and English derivations (words we derived from Latin roots). It also includes some history.

The downloadable version of the book includes online access to audio lessons (memory check-- video lessons?) with the Magistrate, and online games such as battleship and Hangman. History lessons are also included in the program.

I would not do this program with my DS7. In his particular case, it would be too much. Even though I don't really think he needs all these Latin prayers (as Methodists, we don't fall back on Latin very much in church) but it does no harm, for him we use Prima Latina. It is much gentler. There is so far not much emphasis on grammar. Everything is presented in the first person, first declension, at the rate of about 5 vocabulary words, one "practical Latin" phrase, and one line from a prayer. There is an audio CD that comes with the book. Some object to the speaker's southern accent, but my northern self finds her to be very clear. It is pretty bare bones though-- just a recitation of the vocabulary.

I like PL for him, because when he gets old enough to handle LL, he will have a good vocabulary base and understand the way the sounds work and how many words relate to English. This will ease his way into LL.

You could do PL with a younger, but I don't think I would do it; I don't see starting LL much before age 10.

As I said though, please take the review for what it's worth, but the opinions with a grain of salt... I am most definitely not a Latin expert.

I have realized that I need to decide why I am teaching Latin. Is it to learn grammar and vocabulary or to actually be able to really speak and understand Latin. I am leaning towards the first reason since it is a "dead" language (although we are Catholic so it is used at mass sometimes). I would love to hear why YOU teach Latin!

First off, Latin is NOT a dead language. :-)

Second, I must commend you on picking goals before starting a program. So often, we start up some curriculum or project, without really understanding what the end goals are. Obviously, this makes it really hard to assess how we are doing towards those goals.

Now, there are a lot of valid reasons for learning Latin. First, it has been shown that students who student Latin have much higher SAT scores than those who do not. (post hoc ergo propter hoc, and all that) However, this is not a good reason to study Latin unto itself. If you just want improved standardized test scores, it is more time-effective to just focus on test prep. (Not nearly so interesting, but nonetheless more effective)

Also, Latin scholars tend to have "better" (or more) vocabulary than those who do not study Latin. However, if you just want to improve your vocabulary, memorizing word lists is probably the best way to do that. (Again, not nearly as fun as learning Latin, IMHO). Moreover, many people (including those who make standardized tests) confuse large vocabularies with better intelligence or better writing ability. Believe you me, there is nothing so tedious as a dull writer with a flair for throwing around obtuse words.

Studying Latin will improve your knowledge of grammar in the abstract, and specifically English grammar. But if that is your only goal, again, it is just better to study English grammar directly.

What Latin alone will do is let you read the words of the ancients directly, and understand them in ways that reading in translation won't. The Roman republic was hugely influential on the founders of the United States, and it is difficult to fully understand the founders without understanding the Romans. Almost every English writer of significance before, say, 1900 was well versed in Latin, and enormously influenced by republican through medieval Latin literature.

Perhaps even more importantly, someone who studies classical civilizations realizes that there are things the ancients considers moral and unchangeable, like slavery, were neither. Other facets of society, such as love of family are unchangeable to this day. I hope that my kids can understand this and reflect upon modern life in the same way.

Latin WILL change your brain (and that of your child) as you study it if your brain isn't normally neat, orderly, and regimental like a Roman army. The language is very much like a well-trained military force, divided into distinct groupings or categories of words, orderly declining itself to express varying meanings. It is really neat to study.

I had a couple of years of Latin in high school and it did amazing things for my vocabulary. I don't agree that memorizing vocab lists is more effective, knowing Latin roots helps you to extrapolate the meaning of words you've never seen before, its incredible. It also helps you understand the way language really tends to work in the nitty gritties (grammar) because it IS so orderly (as opposed to English which can be pretty wild) and helps you see connections between many languages if you know the BIG MAMA tongue (Latin).

We are very happy with Memoria Press' Latin courses, you even get to memorize some prayers, so because you are Catholic that might be really neat for you!

Latin WILL change your brain (and that of your child) as you study it if your brain isn't normally neat, orderly, and regimental like a Roman army. The language is very much like a well-trained military force, divided into distinct groupings or categories of words, orderly declining itself to express varying meanings. It is really neat to study.

I had a couple of years of Latin in high school and it did amazing things for my vocabulary. I don't agree that memorizing vocab lists is more effective, knowing Latin roots helps you to extrapolate the meaning of words you've never seen before, its incredible. It also helps you understand the way language really tends to work in the nitty gritties (grammar) because it IS so orderly (as opposed to English which can be pretty wild) and helps you see connections between many languages if you know the BIG MAMA tongue (Latin).

We are very happy with Memoria Press' Latin courses, you even get to memorize some prayers, so because you are Catholic that might be really neat for you!

This is the way I was planning on going. Starting PL in about 2nd or 3rd and then doing LCI and II. I guess I do have a long time to think about it though!!!! I can't seem to stop planning for my kids years down the road... :D

This is the way I was planning on going. Starting PL in about 2nd or 3rd and then doing LCI and II. I guess I do have a long time to think about it though!!!! I can't seem to stop planning for my kids years down the road... :D

Hey, I hear you, I'm like that too (overplanner). We started PL as soon as we were formally done phonics instruction, which worked out to be half-way through 2nd grade :).

Oh, I forgot to say, after PL (we are half-way or so), we will do LC1, then First Form Latin etc. MP actually recommends moving to First Form if you want to do more than 3 years of Latin :). I am doing it myself and it is a splendid program I have to say!

I'm loving it for that :). It takes you by the hand and as long as you keep stepping, you'll figure it out. I looked at Henle and Wheelock but I really need something a bit more open-and-go. I couldn't figure out how I would actually self teach with the first two resources without having a better understanding of Latin to start with (and that is why I am re-teaching myself in the first place!)

I'm loving it for that :). It takes you by the hand and as long as you keep stepping, you'll figure it out. I looked at Henle and Wheelock but I really need something a bit more open-and-go. I couldn't figure out how I would actually self teach with the first two resources without having a better understanding of Latin to start with (and that is why I am re-teaching myself in the first place!)

That is really good to know. I think I am going to order First Form. I would really like to do some Latin on my own before my kids get there so I am a little more comfortable with teaching it. Thanks so much for the advice!!!

While I agree with the benefits that others have mentioned, if those were our only reasons we'd probably wait until middle school to start. As it is, though, we've taken to heart the words of Blessed John XXIII:

Veterum Sapientia -- On the Promotion of the Study of Latin

and consider Latin to be a very important part of our children's religious and cultural formation as Catholics, much as Jewish children learn Hebrew and Muslim children learn Arabic. Although we're limited by the lack of suitable materials for young children, and even more so by our own relative ignorance of the language, we've been giving them very simple lessons since preschool age. Our emphasis so far has been on pronunciation (spoken and sung), bits of everyday conversation, religious vocabulary, and discussion of root words in various contexts.

I'm hoping we can get going with a "real" curriculum this coming year. Our eldest was ready to begin last year, but our second child wasn't, and I find it much more enjoyable to teach them both together. (Or maybe I'm just lazy. ;) )

Hope the FFL goes well. It's a great idea to try to keep a few steps ahead of them, and also to model the importance of diligent study. That's likely the most beneficial thing you can do at this stage. :)

- grammar

- vocabulary

- brain development

Me too!!! :iagree:

I was thinking in my head why we teach Latin in our house. Then I read this post. This is exactly right for us, except I would reverse grammar and vocabulary.

My son is nine and I LOVE LOVE LOVE hearing him decode words using some Latin knowledge!