Menu

What math to use for Kindergarten?

Essential Math A & B is wonderful for Kindergarten! I know it's made by Singapore... is it the same thing the other posters are talking about?

I put my dd5 directly into the B book. I'll start the A book with dd3 when she turns 4.

I'm really not fond of MUS, but I've heard mention of Horizons. Anyone have experience with it?

I'm not crazy about MUS a whole either, but the primer is truly excellent. It helped my ds grasp the concept of place value very well.I don't have experience with Horizons, although I hear it is somewhat advanced.

:lurk5:

I am using McRuffy Color Math K. It is very scripted and is easy to use. There are a lot of manipulatives and DS5 is doing very well picking up math concepts using this program. I love it. I highly suggest taking a look at Miquon as well. We supplement with that program and it is awesome!

I am using McRuffy Color Math K. It is very scripted and is easy to use. There are a lot of manipulatives and DS5 is doing very well picking up math concepts using this program. I love it. I highly suggest taking a look at Miquon as well. We supplement with that program and it is awesome!

:iagree:

I'm really not fond of MUS, but I've heard mention of Horizons. Anyone have experience with it?

We're using Horizons right now. My daughter loves it. We're also using Singapore Essentials and she likes that too. Singapore Essential has dot to dots in it. lol

They seem to cover about the same amount of material just in a different order.

We love McRuffy K color math. We are 40 lessons in. We are adding Miquon in a few weeks. I used Miquon with an older child when he was preschool aged. He loved it and learned a ton.

Heather

I just purchased random Kindergarten math stuff from Currclick and some fun K-level math books from Target. Once she was proficient with writing numbers and such (motor-skills wise) - within a few months, we used Math Mammoth 1.

I may not be a good person to give advice because my 6 yr old (and the only one I homeschooled K for) is an advanced learner, but after my experience I'd hesitate to advise anyone to spend much money on a K math curriculum. With one-on-one instruction in basic number and spacial awareness and writing skill development, it seems like a lot of Kindergartners would be ready for 1st grade math *well* before the end of the year. "Kindergarten" math curricula don't really have any bulk in and of themselves after all - they just work on building a framework of rudimentary skills so that math instruction can begin. IME, indistinguishable from activities she was exposed to in preschool.

Edited by zenjenn

We did RightStart A. It tells you what to do exactly including right down to what to say if you want that much input. It's divided in lessons but some people do 1/2 on one day and then 1/2 on another. The half point in the lesson is clear for that purpose.