Menu

How much screen/media time for boys?

4toteach

I have 3 boys and they all love video games, computer games etc. Now that we are going to homeschool, I am trying to lay down some new ground rules for leisure screen time. I feel like I have good control of what they are playing/watching, but I'm too lax on amount. What are your rules? Do you use it as a reward?

We only do video games on the weekends, well they can start Fri when ever they get done with school for the week. It just works so much better if they know they can't turn them on during breaks or free time all week.

So far I haven't felt the need to set a specific time limit. We are often so busy during the weekends that they rarely play more then an hour or maybe two a day (I figure 2 hours would be about the time to watch a movie), though I don't have any problems turning off the games and sending them out side or to do chores or whatever. We don't get any tv channels (I live in a dead zone) and occasionally watch a family movie, but they don't get much other screen time.

There have been years that they could play if they woke up before a certain time in the morning (say 7 or so). This worked really nice because my video game lover is terrible to wake up so he would be up and dressed and ready for the day when I needed him. But last year I discovered we had to start school that early to really get everything done before the little ones were up and messing ;)

Edited by Mallory

Maybe I shouldnt post this - cause I am probably a horrible mom - but I have 4 sons who LOVE tv and video games. My 5yr old is seriously a master at the wii - can beat everyone else in the family.

With that said I have found that i HAVE to lay down some ground rules during school time so that they know exactly when they can play and when they can't (saves a lot of whining and negotiating).

During the summer it is a free for all - as long as their chores get done and they all have an hour of reading time per day I am happy (we live in TX so going outside to play in the heat is not gonna happen - altho we do go swimming alot).

During the school year I allow tv on before 8:30 am if they decide to get up early (gives me time to wake up and have my coffee). It goes off at 8:30 and stays off until 3:30. No one can play the wii during this time either. I do allow them to play their DS if they get finished before 3:30 since it doesn't disrupt anyone else who may still be studying - makes a good incentive sometimes.

Do we play too much - probably...have I ever wanted to throw the tv, wii & ds's out the window - often...do I like to spend just as much time on my laptop - sadly yep :tongue_smilie:

HTH :D

Other than no tv or video games before 10am, we have no set rules. They know that it just kind of depends on the day, and they have to ask before it gets turned on. If I had to average out a typical week, I'd say they maybe spent 30-60 mins a day on video games, and very little watching tv, unless we have a family movie night. That average means that some days they don't play any, and some days it might be two hours. (The two hours is usually when I have some client work I need to get done, as I work part time out of the house.)

Video games are only on the weekends - 2 hrs. each on Friday & Sat.

TV is no more than 1 hr. in the afternoon or evening, after school is done. Many days, there is no TV because we are busy.

It's tough because boys love media, especially the games. Stick w/your strict schedule. As boys get older, they become less focused on media.

Denise

My kids have to earn tickets by doing chores throughout the day - they can then use those tickets whenever they want for screen time (subject to my approval) in 15 minute increments. They can each get up to 3 tickets a day (morning chores, noon & night). We started this with the Accountable Kids thing a couple months ago, and I am still loving it! My house has never been cleaner, as both a noon & night chore is in regards to cleanup, and whatever doesn't get cleaned up goes in my buy-back box (which they have to use tickets for!!). hehehe

So 45 mins max each day each kid (5yo & 7yo) - I had it at 1.5 hours max to start with, but we've done so well with weaning them off using screens so much that I decided to cut it in half!! My 7yo was stockpiling tickets... :)

There aren't any specific rules other than I must say it is ok (ie not during school or when we have specific things to be done) and they must have tickets available (from doing chores - no chores, no tickets, no screen). This works great for us, as our days vary hugely throughout the week & we needed lots of flexibility. I can't give an XYZ time to do things, because practically every day is different...

My kids have to earn tickets by doing chores throughout the day - they can then use those tickets whenever they want for screen time (subject to my approval) in 15 minute increments. They can each get up to 3 tickets a day (morning chores, noon & night). We started this with the Accountable Kids thing a couple months ago, and I am still loving it! My house has never been cleaner, as both a noon & night chore is in regards to cleanup, and whatever doesn't get cleaned up goes in my buy-back box (which they have to use tickets for!!). hehehe

So 45 mins max each day each kid (5yo & 7yo) - I had it at 1.5 hours max to start with, but we've done so well with weaning them off using screens so much that I decided to cut it in half!! My 7yo was stockpiling tickets... :)

There aren't any specific rules other than I must say it is ok (ie not during school or when we have specific things to be done) and they must have tickets available (from doing chores - no chores, no tickets, no screen). This works great for us, as our days vary hugely throughout the week & we needed lots of flexibility. I can't give an XYZ time to do things, because practically every day is different...

I LOVE this idea!! Thanks!

During term time, the boys get half an hour a day of Skype/Facebook to keep up with their friends. On Saturday and Sunday, they have two hours of screen time each day, split between TV and games time.

In the holidays, they have half an hour a day of Skype/Facebook and an hour a day of screen time (TV or games - their choice). Any family viewing is in addition.

Laura

I let my guys have 30-45 min of game time each day after the day's work is done, and sometimes they watch up to an hour of TV each day. This is usually Corner Gas which my youngers have become addicted to. :tongue_smilie: I'm currently considering methods to wean them off of that. In the summer I don't keep too close a watch on how long they're on.

Our rule is no screen time before 5PM. This leads to usually 2-3 hours of TV or Wii time daily, which I would prefer less but I'm ok with it. It gives me a chance to start fixing dinner at 5 without kids underfoot, we interrupt screen time for dinner and then after dinner I work from home on my laptop, so I'll sit in the living room with them and work while they are watching their show or playing Mario Kart or whatever. There are usually a couple nights a week where we go to a friends or go out somewhere, so often no TV at all on those days.

I love this idea! I've been needing something to motivate my kids to do their chores. I think this might work!!

Rebekah

First, let me encourage you - that even if it is painful, kids adjust to new rules relatively well. My kids didn't even complain when we implemented our new rules. I'm currently considering getting more stringent.

First I implemented the concept of "screen time" lumping wii, computer games and TV together. I explained that they will have limited time on that screen time, but if time permits, they can spend more time viewing/playing educational. I taped some shows such as Wild Kratts, nature TV, and Fetch with Ruff Ruffman. There are math drill games on the computer they can play. Then they get 30min of "free screen time" a day but they need to do free reading for 30min first (after schooling). It's working well but I think after reading TWTM, I should really get stricter. :)

All three of mine are limited to 30 minutes of computer time (via passwords and controlled access to certain games and websites only). This year my oldest will have schoolwork assignments using the computer so she will get some school time as well. TV doesn't come on until everyone is done with all school for the day. We frequently have days where the TV never even comes on. If we have a DVD for school or a Netflix, it's easy to limit that because once the DVD is done everything goes off. Only my ds is interested in the Wii so he usually picks that instead of a TV show after all school is done. Our summer break ends this weekend so we will start these rules now so as to better start school on Monday.

This is what works for us.

Dd4 is addicted to tv. She would love to watch it all day every day.

Dd gets 30 minutes "free" each day. Usually this is spent first thing in the morning watching a PBS show of her choice. (The TIVO is worth its weight in gold!!!!) Sadly, tv is the only way I have discovered for how to get her out of bed in the morning on preschool days.

If dd wants more tv time, she must earn it with school work.

If she does 4 pages of school work, she can earn 30 minutes of TV time.

If she wants 30 minutes more, she must do 3 more pages of schoolwork.

If she wants 30 minutes more, she must do 2 more pages of schoolwork.

If she wants 30 minutes more, she must do 1 more page of schoolwork.

Other details:

--I group the harder/more time consuming lessons in the first group, when she is not so tired.

--By the end of the 2 page cycle, she can see that she gets great benefit for doing just 1 more page of work.

--We don't do 10 pages every day. My child is only 4, so a the schoolwork we do is "optional" for pace and amount these days. The OP has older children and will of course mandate certain subjects being done.

--This system builds in automatic breaks, so dd4 can relax, and I can spend some quality time with the baby .... or I could wash dishes. :glare:

--If dd wants to use her tv time during the day, it must be for educational tv (PBS; we also own Muzzy, Schoolhouse Rock, and Zula Patrol DVDs). If she wants some crap she checked out from the library (SpongeBob, Pokemon, ScoobyDoo :glare:), she must wait until after supper to use her tv time. This also teaches delayed gratification.

--At this point, I don't limit computer games or combine them with tv screentime. All of dd's computer games are educational so far, and she is not on the internet other than Starfall or PBS kids. Disclaimer: things will of course change as our kids grow older.

--I also reward financially to motivate dd, but that is another topic.

Here's what we do:

45 minutes a week of computer games and watching someone else play counts.

a movie every few weeks.

And that's it.

It works fine and I get very few complaints.

My oldest, however, has done an end run. He bought an itouch with his own money. Dh and I thought this was mainly to listen to music. Turns out, its real purpose is video games. We are reigning this in and returning to the limits described above. It's harder to monitor overusage on handhelds that serve other purposes. I assume DS is honest, but he still needs to e reminded of the limits. I find the issue annoying.

Reward systems have backfired on us every. stinkin'. time. They seem great at first, but inevitably leads to minds distracted on the prize at the end, or someone deciding the prize simply isn't worth putting out effort.

Video games are left to the weekends, period. If you have leftover schoolwork it must be completed first. We do use the computer for math drills, geography, science, rabbit trails, and such, and those don't count as personal screen turns.

(What has helped dramatically, is making sure my boys get a good dose of physical exercise every single morning.)

We don't have strict rules. It's roughly about an hour a day. If they are watching the other person play something that counts. Family movie nights are separate. We don't have TV or any video game systems so choices are limited to videos, playing games on the computer (lego site usually) or the occasional instant play from Netflix.

I have a general rule that they need to be active/outside and reading about as much as they play. I don't keep track of the minutes but just try to make sure it's the way ours days are going.

It works for us so far. I'd say that there are days where they have way more than 1 hr of screen time (usually if the toddler is having a bad day or I'm sick or the weather is horrible) and there are stretches of days when they have none.

Our rule is no screen time before 5PM. This leads to usually 2-3 hours of TV or Wii time daily, which I would prefer less but I'm ok with it. It gives me a chance to start fixing dinner at 5 without kids underfoot, we interrupt screen time for dinner and then after dinner I work from home on my laptop, so I'll sit in the living room with them and work while they are watching their show or playing Mario Kart or whatever. There are usually a couple nights a week where we go to a friends or go out somewhere, so often no TV at all on those days.

This is exactly how it works at our house too. I am more lax with how much in the summer because we don't have as many activities but during the school year it works out to no more than 1 hr day since we have other commitments too.

The only rule I have about games for my son is that he can't play them until after school is done. Otherwise it becomes a battle to get it turn off and focus on school. The TV isn't an issue for us. We aren't big TV watchers it is never on before 7 or 8pm.

Tam

One eleven year old boy (but rule applies equally to 6 year old girl). During school year 1 1/2 hours per day on Friday night, Sat, and Sun. During summer I have been lax and allowing 1 1/2 hours every day, but that soon will come to an end as we start up again August 1st. I expect to see them both exhibit withdrawal symptoms.

Documentaries for school do not count against screen time.

I love this too! Is it a daily thing? Must tickets be earned the day they are to be used?

We have done something similar -or tried to- the last couple of years. I got the idea from something similar the Economides family wrote about in America's Cheapest Family.

Points must be used for computer/game time (30 min) or movie. Points also can be paid for candy (otherwise they'd ask all day!) I made points out of red, white and blue foam using a 1" circle punch.

Mine can earn up to 4 points daily for:

routines (morning/nighttime)

school (good attitude/diligence)

chore (M-glass, T-laundry, W-bathrooms, Th-floors, F-other)

round-up (pickup after yourself without being told)

I have certain guidelines- Points Time is from 4:00-6:00 pm (between snack and dinner/dad coming home), schoolwork/chore must be completed and they have to get permission for the item... like when they asked for candy I'd say, "Have you brushed today?" And boy did this help them be accountable!

Putting a value to them, another big plus is the math practice they get:

RED = 1 point (10 cents)

WHITE = 5 points (50 cents)

BLUE = 10 points ($1.00)

They collected so many points that I've started making them "cash in" monthly to keep them in check. (Maybe I give out points too easily?!) They have the possibility of earning 20 points per week, or $2.00.

It works beautifully as long as I keep up with it! BUT what isn't working now is that we're busier (they're older) and I'm tired of being the Points Police! I'm wondering if I can improve it to a chart that they THEMSELVES have to fill in...

I have 3 boys and they all love video games, computer games etc. Now that we are going to homeschool, I am trying to lay down some new ground rules for leisure screen time. I feel like I have good control of what they are playing/watching, but I'm too lax on amount. What are your rules? Do you use it as a reward?

For dd6 and ds3, the rule is 1 hour total screen time per day. The way that I came up with that rule is that I noticed that when they consistently go over that amount, it is all they ask for all day. I wouldn't mind letting them have more, but I can't do it if they start to exhibit addictive behavior.

Now, we have been lax about this over the summer, because dh and I are trying to get some projects done (he is a teacher off for the summer), and all my 3yo talks about is watching TV, even though he is only watching about 2 hrs per day. So we will be curbing that significantly when school starts up again.

Because they get so little screen time to begin with, I do not use it as a reward, but dd6 has to get her chores done before she watches. And starting this school year, all schoolwork will have to be done first, as well.

I also don't differentiate between what they are watching. They usually watch a video, so I don't have to worry about TV shows so much. But they can play/watch whatever they have available (which isn't much, since we only have Basic Cable, so no Disney, Nick Jr., or Cartoon Network).