Menu

She's almost 73, and actually looks about a decade younger naturally. She doesn't even have grey hair! She has beautiful skin, with very few wrinkles.

But she was kind of vain about the lines between her eyes, and had the Botox. It definitely smoothed them out, and she was very pleased with the results. I forget how long it lasted, but quite a while.

I'm very interested in Botox because apparently it can be quite effective in preventing migraines. But I'm scared to have it done.

Michelle T

Has anyone done it? Had a mother do it?

I'm so sick of looking mildly perplexed. My mother always told me that if I didn't stop furrowing my brow it would get stuck that way, and she's right!

I'd love to hear personal experiences.

I use these: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=88296&catid=47206&brand=34921&trx=PLST-0-BRAND&trxp1=47206&trxp2=88296&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND

...on the advice of someone from the old board. I'm sorry I can't remember who it was! Getting into the habit of remembering to wear them every night was the hardest part. Getting over my husband's giggles in the morning was the second hardest part. But they really, really work. I had some pretty deep furrows but now after a year they are faint lines that I hardly notice.

Barb

Hmmm, furrowing brow, I can relate and was warned as a child. Age and sun has caught up with me. DH has offered a botox option, but I refused. I don't want any of that stuff in my body. I poison myself enough with Diet Coke, I would prefer not to add botulism voluntarily. Too many freak outcomes to mar my face. Now if there is truth to botox getting rid of migraines, I MIGHT consider this.

My insurance didn't pay for it.

Botox worked, but there's a generic botox, or there was about 6-7 years ago, Botox A or B or something, and it didn't work. These are expensive if your insurance doesn't cover them (as mine wouldn't).

It wasn't a potent enough respite that I would try it again. I have my problems, but wrinkles are not yet one of them, so it seemed like a shame to finally have some kind of "work" done in an area where no work was required (on my forehead/temples). Now if only booKlifts or tummy tucks would cure migraines... I'd be all over that one! :D

My insurance didn't pay for it.

Botox worked, but there's a generic botox, or there was about 6-7 years ago, Botox A or B or something, and it didn't work. These are expensive if your insurance doesn't cover them (as mine wouldn't).

It wasn't a potent enough respite that I would try it again. I have my problems, but wrinkles are not yet one of them, so it seemed like a shame to finally have some kind of "work" done in an area where no work was required (on my forehead/temples). Now if only booKlifts or tummy tucks would cure migraines... I'd be all over that one! :D

That's good to know as my migraines have increased and would like to end them. I'v heard it's expensive, so not surprised insurance didn't cover it. They're usually squirrelly when it comes to "elective" items used for valid reasons.

Doctors don't really know much about migraines at all. I tried so many different meds and procedures when my migraines were at their worst, it's really no wonder that insurance companies were skeptical about some of the more expensive options. My doc has had various research projects going in the almost 10 years I've been seeing him. His latest theory is a hole in the heart between the left and right atriums (atria?). I took his little test to check for the hole and I have one, but it turns out that a goodly percentage of the population has one. He wanted to use me in his study, and put a little patch on the hole, and still couldn't guarantee that the headaches would go away. So that's pretty big surgery that insurance would have to pay for (if the research monies didn't cover it), plus the risk of surgery. The thought of it gives me a headache... :001_rolleyes:

Mine eventually slowed down, and now I only get 8-9 migraines a month, and some headaches don't turn into migraines, which is pretty amazing to me. I think not taking preventatives was one of the reasons my headaches slowed down. Diet helps too, somewhat, and managing my sleep cycle, and I think my age is a factor. I used to get them almost every day.

I use these: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=88296&catid=47206&brand=34921&trx=PLST-0-BRAND&trxp1=47206&trxp2=88296&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND

...on the advice of someone from the old board. I'm sorry I can't remember who it was! Getting into the habit of remembering to wear them every night was the hardest part. Getting over my husband's giggles in the morning was the second hardest part. But they really, really work. I had some pretty deep furrows but now after a year they are faint lines that I hardly notice.

Barb

Very interesting....I'd be way to chicken to try Botox, but these might be do-able.

My mother has severe migraines and tried botox to get rid of them. She did it a couple of times, I think just in the forehead, and thought it may have helped, but she wasn't really sure. It didn't sound like it was too painful either and it actually looked good. I'd always seen the botox spoofs where women have no expression and I wasn't sure how she'd turn out.