Menu

I finally have a plan for working around the release date of ALL/WWS

I have shared previously on this forum that we used R&S English 5 last year when dd was in 6th grade. It did a great job of filling in some holes for us because we had hopped around grammar programs a bit too much up until then. R&S is fine -- and I highly recommend it -- but I made the decision to move over to SWB's new grammar and composition program because the more I read about it, the more I'm convinced it will prepare my dd for high school and college. Like many of you though, I've been trying to figure out how to make it work when the release date is going to be later than I really need it. Well, I have come up with a solution, and I thought that maybe it will help someone else.

Since we are switching to a new way of doing LA, I've decided to bone up a bit on how the system works. So I bought a used copy of the WWE Complete Writer instructor book, and a FLL4 student book with workbook. We are going to go over these new methods thoroughly between August and December when our hardcopy texts that are pre-ordered from Amazon will arrive. If we need to stay with FLL4 and WWE a bit longer then we will, but I think that we'll most likely be ready to move right over to WWS and ALL when it arrives.

I know that a lot of what WWE and FLL4 teaches will be review for my dd, but it will also help us come up to speed on narrations and dictation that we haven't worked on as hard in our previous programs. It will also help us get back on track with some memory work that I have neglected for the past couple of years. And it will review the 8 parts of speech taught TWTM way for dd, which really won't hurt. I've noticed that there would be a lot of review of this type anyway if we'd moved on to R&S 6.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this because there has been a lot of discussion about how frustrated people are in working around the release dates for the new curriculum. If you're interested in moving over to SWB's program, but are caught in the middle like we are, why not consider filling in the gap this way? I know it won't work for everyone...but I think if a person considers the idea of mastery rather than grade level, this just may be a good way to go about it.

Blessings,

Lucinda

:confused: We have no gap - we will be using the generous sample of WWS (which I received by email, but now there's also a sample posted as well as the corresponding TM; it's a little shorter but still very generous) until the PDF is released. We start WWS in three weeks.

I'm not using ALL, so I don't know the status of those samples.

:confused: We have no gap - we will be using the generous sample of WWS (which I received by email, but now there's also a sample posted as well as the corresponding TM; it's a little shorter but still very generous) until the PDF is released. We start WWS in three weeks.

I'm not using ALL, so I don't know the status of those samples.

I have the sample too, but when you start the new semester in August, there is still a gap between using it and the release date. Also, I finally decided I don't want to buy a PDF file that I can't resell. So everyone's situation is different. This is just one way to work it out, at least for some of us that have never used SWB's LA curriculum.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I have the sample too, but when you start the new semester in August, there is still a gap between using it and the release date. Also, I finally decided I don't want to buy a PDF file that I can't resell. So everyone's situation is different. This is just one way to work it out, at least for some of us that have never used SWB's LA curriculum.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I understand the resale issue with PDFs.

For anyone else, about the sample, the one I got by email is longer than the one posted (much more than enough for us). If anyone runs out of the sample before the PDF release date, I would bet they could get enough from PHP by email to tide them over until the release date.

We will make as much of WWS available as necessary to anyone who asks.

SWB's assistant, Patricia Worth, is the one to contact. pattie@welltrainedmind.com

That is great to know! Thank you. :)

I am still going to go over the Level 4 materials at least for a few weeks with dd for the same reasons I explained. Maybe we'll hop over to WWS/FLL sooner with the available samples until December when our texts arrive.

There are so many of us waiting for the materials, I just thought I'd throw in my idea as another option for those like us that have never used SWB's LA curriculum before. Isn't it great to have options?

Thank you PHP for being so generous and accommodating!

Blessings,

Lucinda

That is great to know! Thank you. :)

I am still going to go over the Level 4 materials at least for a few weeks with dd for the same reasons I explained. Maybe we'll hop over to WWS/FLL sooner with the available samples until December when our texts arrive.

There are so many of us waiting for the materials, I just thought I'd throw in my idea as another option for those like us that have never used SWB's LA curriculum before. Isn't it great to have options?

Thank you PHP for being so generous and accommodating!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Thanks for the great idea, Lucinda! My eldest is a young 6th grader this year and I've been mulling over how to make it work for us too.

Lucinda, I may have asked you this already, but I am trying to figure out whether to go with ALL or R&S. From what I can tell the grammar content is at the same level for both, so really my question becomes is there anything in R&S 5's writing component (outlining, paragraphing, etc.) that you found incredibly helpful when using it before WWS? I am in limbo .... R&S 5 or ALL?? I am planning on integrating WWS in regardless of which I choose, so I am just wondering if I am missing something if I miss R&S 5.

Lucinda, I may have asked you this already, but I am trying to figure out whether to go with ALL or R&S. From what I can tell the grammar content is at the same level for both, so really my question becomes is there anything in R&S 5's writing component (outlining, paragraphing, etc.) that you found incredibly helpful when using it before WWS? I am in limbo .... R&S 5 or ALL?? I am planning on integrating WWS in regardless of which I choose, so I am just wondering if I am missing something if I miss R&S 5.

Bumping because I'm wondering this as well. Thanks! :)

Guest Northern Breeze

We skipped FLL 4 last year so I am planning to do it this fall. When the new level is ready I'll use that. For writing I might do Winning with Writing until SWBs new program is out. Haven't decided that one yet.

Nancy

No, there is nothing regarding paragraphing, outlining or anything really that I think R&S holds over what a combination of ALL and WWS will offer.

When we chose to go with R&S last year, I was desperate for a solid, thorough grammar program that would help us get on track. R&S did that and I'm extremely thankful. Having said that, I think I would have used FLL 4 and moved on to ALL this year if I had investigated it further simply because I like TWTM way of teaching language arts. They are BOTH excellent programs for grammar, but since I want to move over to SWB's style, I am favoring the PHP materials over R&S now. The fact that strong and effective grammar and writing lessons available with the new curriculum compliment and support each other is what makes PHP materials a real deal breaker for me. Combine that with the concept that R&S writing assignments leave a lot to be desired, and you've summed up my main reasons for moving over to the other side.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Thanks Lucinda! :) I'm considering ALL/WWS with my dd who will be in 7th this fall. I agree that SWB's Language Arts program makes a lot of sense. I love how the two fit together so nicely and I'm also very excited about all the real literature used in them.

I plan to spend the first 5-6 weeks on part one of WWS (basic skills). After completing the first three weeks, I will work closely with him start him as he starts narrating a literature book (a chapter a day) and outlining a science or history book (probably a book from the New True series at the start). These will become a daily assignment each day to complete during during his independent time. I will pick the library books for weeks 4 - 6, but after that, I will let him choose from a list of literature books and history/science topics at the library.

After that, I will alternate between the WWS and ALL for five days a week until the PDF is available for both. I am not worried about finishing WWS and ALL this year because we will probably be in the same situation next year. The books will most likely come out the fall/winter and I'll just finish off this year's books next fall then start up on the level 2 books when they come out.

Jill

No, there is nothing regarding paragraphing, outlining or anything really that I think R&S holds over what a combination of ALL and WWS will offer.

When we chose to go with R&S last year, I was desperate for a solid, thorough grammar program that would help us get on track. R&S did that and I'm extremely thankful. Having said that, I think I would have used FLL 4 and moved on to ALL this year if I had investigated it further simply because I like TWTM way of teaching language arts. They are BOTH excellent programs for grammar, but since I want to move over to SWB's style, I am favoring the PHP materials over R&S now. The fact that strong and effective grammar and writing lessons available with the new curriculum compliment and support each other is what makes PHP materials a real deal breaker for me. Combine that with the concept that R&S writing assignments leave a lot to be desired, and you've summed up my main reasons for moving over to the other side.

Blessings,

Lucinda

:iagree: 100%!

I plan to spend the first 5-6 weeks on part one of WWS (basic skills). After completing the first three weeks, I will work closely with him start him as he starts narrating a literature book (a chapter a day) and outlining a science or history book (probably a book from the New True series at the start). These will become a daily assignment each day to complete during during his independent time. I will pick the library books for weeks 4 - 6, but after that, I will let him choose from a list of literature books and history/science topics at the library.

After that, I will alternate between the WWS and ALL for five days a week until the PDF is available for both. I am not worried about finishing WWS and ALL this year because we will probably be in the same situation next year. The books will most likely come out the fall/winter and I'll just finish off this year's books next fall then start up on the level 2 books when they come out.

Jill

I like the looks of your plan, Jill. May I ask what age your ds is? And would you mind letting us know how the transition you're describing is working? It would be great if those of us that are transitioning to WWS/ALL from other programs could stay connected. Maybe the sub-thread for writing in the Logic section?

Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I presume if you pre-bought it, or something like that, they would give it to you?? I thought I remembered the Moderator saying they would share more weeks if needed.

I'm confused. I thought it wasn't available to purchase yet? I've only seen samples on the blog, did I miss it at the PHP website?

I like the looks of your plan, Jill. May I ask what age your ds is? And would you mind letting us know how the transition you're describing is working? It would be great if those of us that are transitioning to WWS/ALL from other programs could stay connected. Maybe the sub-thread for writing in the Logic section?

Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,

Lucinda

My DS is 10 years going into 5th grade. My son is transitioning from Shirley grammar at a classical Christian school. I love that he knows the parts of speech and basic diagramming of a sentence, but it doesn't translate to actual writing. The reason I picked WWS/ALL is because SWB focuses on the writing process in small step by step bites. Once DS understands a skill in WWS I can add to the literature, science, or history to help him perfect the skill. I'll try to make comments when we start WWS on the Logic Writing sub thread once we start.

Jill

How long did it take to get the sample for WWS from PHP? I emailed yesterday morning and I haven't heard anything back yet. Thanks!

I received the samples in about 4 days. I love that PHP and Susan are willing to help out and share with us before the release date! In a world where customer service has gone out the window, this is a wonderful to see and benefit from :001_smile:

Good luck to everyone as we all take on this adventure of LA,

Shannon in NC