Menu

Why do they even make "lift-the-flap" board books?

Is it an exercise to teach toddlers dexterity in ripping?

I have a lovely collection of flaps here next to me....

Anyone else have this experience?

I won't buy the books :001_smile:! If my kid still needs the durability of a board book, anything rippable on the book will be ripped.

MIL has bought a few of those books, however, and that has proven my theory correct.

Just think of the motor skills your toddler is developing :laugh:.

Another annoying children's book is the puzzle book-- where the picture is a jigsaw puzzle. Someone WITHOUT kids invented those, I am quite sure.

Those had to be invented by a complete idiot. We have never had one, but friends have these books full of words and holes where the puzzle picture used to be, but is now gone forever.

Sleep deprivation must me muddling my thinking because I bought a lift the flap Spot book for Rew. Fortunately I bought it at the thrift store, so I am only out some quarters. It pains me to throw a book a way, but after a week in the house this book is beyond repair.

Anybody else hold on to books with broken bindings and ripped pages because you think some day you will have the time, energy, and creativity necessary to repair them? I need to create some type of book disposal ceremony to ease the pain of their passing;)

Oh ugh! I really do not like those things. I agree..made purely for their rippability factor :p

And while we're at it..what's with those books with the sounds? Our family always buys those (the noisy AND the flap books) for my kids. Argh!

What's worse, they buy those stupid kiddy books for my 9 yr old who has read the Chronicles of Narnia and LOTR and such. Good gravy! But that's another rant..which I touched on in a recent blog entry LOL

But anywho...

Yeah..why DO they make those things?

Now, my younger son LOVED his lift the flap books and was very gentle with them all. All those Spot books, and Thomas the train books, and Pat the Bunny type books all stayed in lovely condition!

As a toddler he also would brush crumbs off his fingers and screw the lids onto his baby-food jars. I guess he was precociously dextrous, lol!

Now, my younger son LOVED his lift the flap books and was very gentle with them all. All those Spot books, and Thomas the train books, and Pat the Bunny type books all stayed in lovely condition!

As a toddler he also would brush crumbs off his fingers and screw the lids onto his baby-food jars. I guess he was precociously dextrous, lol!

:iagree: That was my daughter. She LOVED her lift the flap books and they stayed in great condition. Kept her quiet all through mass. No small feat....she was and still is a wiggler and a talker.

They're cool if made from fabric. My dd loves lifting the bucket flap to find Sam the Snail (or Sam the Snail Assassin if Daddy is reading it.) Lift the flaps made of paper are definately not made for toddlers! Though we have a few board books with very robust flaps. So robust that dd can't lift them...

Rosie

My sister has given us a few very nice looking books that are similiar..a winnie the pooh book with little papaer puppets that move around the page..that lasted about 2 days...pop up books are worse, at least in this house! I ended up throwing in the towel and just letting them have them...and a few I put on a higher shelf for when they were older. My kids have never been gentle with anything! I always rather envied the moms whose kids actually colored with crayons instead of trying to eat them!:001_smile:;) We do have one lift flap book that has lasted..it is a Bible and it is very sturdy!

On the subject of ripped and torn books..i do have a few board books that were so well loved that I have had to glue/tape them back together. My youngest loves, "each peach pear plum" and "Peek a boo" both by Janet and Allan allsburg. They are falling apart, but I have bound them back together a few times with packing tape. If we somehow have any more children I will just have to buy another one!