Menu

s/o Direct Instruction and creativity/problem solving

Hello HIve,

There is a thread started by Karen Anne at the highschool forum discussing direct instruction and creativity/problem solving. She linked to the following article in her initial post: http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=the-educational-value-of-creative-d-2011-07-07

I'd like to discuss this for logic stage students. I'm always one for finding a middle ground. There is a place for direct instruction and a place for creativity/problem solving. And as someone pointed out, it gets more difficult to achieve our lofty goals w/ toddlers under foot and everything else life throws at us. I tend to be drawn more to "creative/problem solving" curricula. I think b/c I was the student portrayed in the article. I was a great test taker, teacher pleaser. I could binge and purge like no other....very little retention except for science which I loved. I do not want the same education for my children.

How do we achieve a balance of getting "it" done, fulfilling state obligations (standardized testing) and foster creativity/problem solving? We do LEGO NXT at home for fun which certainly covers creativity/problem solving (C/PS). I also like Rightstart Math. I think it borders on that problem solving realm. A student works on finding the area of rectangles, then cuts them apart, seeing that you know have triangles.... HOw to find the area of the triangle? HHm make it into a rectangle, find the area, then take half! As opposed to telling the student "If you need to find the area of a triangle, use this formula. It works b/c a triangle is half a rectangle." I think that discovery aspect helps the information to stick, at least for some kids. I'm also drawn to AoPS for the same reason.

I think MCT works well for my kids for the same reason. You're reading about descriptive paragraphs, then flowing w/in the text, there is a descriptive paragraph! My boys love discovering that - they are engaged w/ the material and interacting with it.

We try to take advantage of problem solving opportunities when they naturally arise.....hhm can't reach that? Don't have a ladder? What can you do? Or when we're doing an experiment, "What if the results turned out to be XYZ. How would that change your conclusion or would it? If that were your results, what experiments would you do next? What controls do you need and why do you need them?" My son once said the hard part about HSing was that there was no one else to answer the questions! :lol: Now his younger brother is able to answer questions so some pressure is off.

But is that enough? I always have big plans to all the creative things but last year it just didn't get done w/ trying to teach writing, cover history in depth, cover science, do PE, discuss grammar, read aloud for an hour a day, move to a new house, deal w/ a pre-Ker, exercise 1-1.5hrs/day, cook dinner, clean the house, sleep, ..... you get the picture.

What do you do to foster creativity/problem solving in your homeschool?

My teacher-friend's chief complaint about our district is that there is little to no creativity, problem solving, critical thinking....it's open your mouth and be spoon fed....move to the next grade.

Capt Uhura

That thread has started a lot of talking in my house, and in my head. :lol:

My dh is a very non-traditional learner, probably VSL, with some ADHD attached. Knowing that, and realizing years ago that ds learns in a similar fashion, has left us doing many things in a "creative" manner.

By happenstance and the poke-it-with-a-stick method I've done a lot of things "right" for ds.

We live in an easy state, no testing, no reporting, so as of yet that hasn't been an issue.

As we get closer to high school (this year will be 8th/9th) I feeling more edgy about the balance. My natural inclination is to plan traditional output and then stress when it doesn't work.

I'm still working on balance, will post more later.

Edited by elegantlion

When we do math, for word problems in SM CWP and in MM, I work the problems as well. Many times, for the more thorny problems, DS and I get the same answer by two different methods. We always go over each one and explain it to the other why we chose that way and which one was more efficient and why.

Ugh, got called away, sick dh.

Anyway. We've always done a lot orally. I plan on implementing oral exams. I received some great tips from this thread. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254584&highlight=oral+exams+elegantlion

We do a lot of Socratic discussion. Since I have only one child I often play devil's advocate. My idea is attempt to represent varied opinions, such as you would find in a traditional classroom.

I also let our discussions flow in the direction HE takes them. We found Philosophy for Kids to be a great conversation starter. The real joy in that is finding where his thoughts go.

I remember as a kid I would think something and then wonder why. I would go backward to try and recall WHY I thought that in the first place (yes, I was a weird child). It was a brain exercise that really helped my logic skills, before I knew such a thing existed. I do a lot of that with ds. If you think this, why? (Why is his favorite word, btw!) I often do in a forward way as well. If you think A, then do you believe B will a reaction/consequence, or it is C. It's almost like we keep a continuum of thought open.

We're still working on showing work in math. We do most of our subjects together. He can solve an algebraic problem in his head, has no clue how and struggles to write down the steps. Yesterday I printed out a AoPS sample to see if that would fit his style better.

In literature we've always paid more attention to the actions/implications of the story or characters over plot. He's a delayed reader with a really high comprehension.

Can skateboarding save our schools was linked in the other thread. I'm going to have ds watch it, it was very eye opening. It not necessarily new info, but it connected the dots for me. I strive for applying "real time meaningful feedback" in ds's education. The video brings up that concept. I believe it is something *I* need to work on doing in a less antagonistic way.

Dh and I are pretty creative, outside the box thinkers. We don't fit into any category of normal. Dh hated school, I learned how to operate with the traditional system. So ds has this creative life outside of school, which we feel fine with, but in the academic setting I'm losing confidence to just be creative

Another issue important for us is free time. Because ds tolerates school work and doesn't love it, we make sure he has time for things he is passionate about. Right now it's computers, programming, design, Minecraft,( shopping for a Macbook. :lol:). This summer has been a drag in many ways, but ds is enjoying his free time to spend on the computer. He came to me the other day and asked to learn more about graphic design. I think this time has allowed him to find his real interests. I stay pretty hands off with that stuff.

This last year has left feeling like I'm walking a tightrope and I afraid of heights. We start back to school in 30 days. I'm hoping to find some time and look for ways to be flexible in what I've already planned. I really don't want to spend the next five years up in the air.

Your mathematically inclined kids might be too advanced for this, Paula and Uhura, but I'll stick it in here anyway in the hopes that it might fill a need for others:

Marilyn Burns has a series of lessons entitled Algebraic Thinking For Grades 6-8. Each lesson starts with or includes a hands-on activity exactly like the RightStart math example you explained, and each lesson typically approaches a problem through multiple ways to get to a solution.

http://www.mathsolutions.com

Many people use Hands-On Equations for younger kids, but it's still a great introduction to the concept of balancing algebraic equations, including negative values of x.

http://www.borenson.com

Each of these programs works on quite conventional and traditional linear/sequential skills, but they are approached through discovery or hands-on activities so that other kids whose wiring may be different can better ACCESS that kind of thought/work.

The Marilyn Burns activities are also just fun. Dd would ask to do some of the activities just as games. We did a whole lot of pattern-solving exercises that way, with blocks.

Uhura, did you ever use the Middle School Chemistry on-line program from the American Chemical Association? I found it, passed it on to Jackie, and I know she posted links and a huge list of materials needed on a thread last year. I think I remember you being one of the people who found it of interest, and I was curious what you thought if you had done any of it.

That program is inquiry-based, but definitely works quite hard on logical, sequential thinking skills through the guided inquiry. GEMS science does the same, although I quite understand that it would be difficult to do with a toddler and/or preschooler around!

Hello HIve,

There is a thread started by Karen Anne at the highschool forum discussing direct instruction and creativity/problem solving. She linked to the following article in her initial post: http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=the-educational-value-of-creative-d-2011-07-07

I'd like to discuss this for logic stage students. I'm always one for finding a middle ground. There is a place for direct instruction and a place for creativity/problem solving. And as someone pointed out, it gets more difficult to achieve our lofty goals w/ toddlers under foot and everything else life throws at us. I tend to be drawn more to "creative/problem solving" curricula. I think b/c I was the student portrayed in the article. I was a great test taker, teacher pleaser. I could binge and purge like no other....very little retention except for science which I loved. I do not want the same education for my children.

How do we achieve a balance of getting "it" done, fulfilling state obligations (standardized testing) and foster creativity/problem solving? We do LEGO NXT at home for fun which certainly covers creativity/problem solving (C/PS). I also like Rightstart Math. I think it borders on that problem solving realm. A student works on finding the area of rectangles, then cuts them apart, seeing that you know have triangles.... HOw to find the area of the triangle? HHm make it into a rectangle, find the area, then take half! As opposed to telling the student "If you need to find the area of a triangle, use this formula. It works b/c a triangle is half a rectangle." I think that discovery aspect helps the information to stick, at least for some kids. I'm also drawn to AoPS for the same reason.

I think MCT works well for my kids for the same reason. You're reading about descriptive paragraphs, then flowing w/in the text, there is a descriptive paragraph! My boys love discovering that - they are engaged w/ the material and interacting with it.

We try to take advantage of problem solving opportunities when they naturally arise.....hhm can't reach that? Don't have a ladder? What can you do? Or when we're doing an experiment, "What if the results turned out to be XYZ. How would that change your conclusion or would it? If that were your results, what experiments would you do next? What controls do you need and why do you need them?" My son once said the hard part about HSing was that there was no one else to answer the questions! :lol: Now his younger brother is able to answer questions so some pressure is off.

But is that enough? I always have big plans to all the creative things but last year it just didn't get done w/ trying to teach writing, cover history in depth, cover science, do PE, discuss grammar, read aloud for an hour a day, move to a new house, deal w/ a pre-Ker, exercise 1-1.5hrs/day, cook dinner, clean the house, sleep, ..... you get the picture.

My teacher-friend's chief complaint about our district is that there is little to no creativity, problem solving, critical thinking....it's open your mouth and be spoon fed....move to the next grade.

Capt Uhura

How about simply not depending on curriculum as written? If you write your own lesson plans, it is fairly easy to incorporate activities that work on higher level skills. I recommend learning about the development of critical thinking and higher order skills via Bloom's taxonomy b/c it is info that is easily accessible via the internet. Socratic dialogue is another avenue that can be explored. (though it is a topic that goes into much greater depth, but I don't know just how much psychology one really needs to go into.)

Someone posted a like a link a while ago that has examples that could be used to help learn how to create those types of assignments.

http://www.curriculumproject.com/cgi-bin/tcp_verify.cgi?agency=Indiana+Department+of+Education&href=www.doe.in.gov/&logo=indi.gif&titletext=&uw=true&sw=false&app=uw

Click on a title and then click on the view matrix link and a chart should show up with activities that move up the taxonomy.

KarenAnne - I have just acquired all the items needed for ACS Middle School chemistry. I was waiting for my basement lab to be finished. WE got the cert. of occupancy from the Town Inspector just 4 days ago! Now I have to read through and start printing the pages but I think it will work well.

CPO Life Science is supposed to be inquiry based but last year, I found it too disjointed or perhaps too broad and not enough depth for us.

How about simply not depending on curriculum as written? If you write your own lesson plans, it is fairly easy to incorporate activities that work on higher level skills. I recommend learning about the development of critical thinking and higher order skills via Bloom's taxonomy b/c it is info that is easily accessible via the internet. Socratic dialogue is another avenue that can be explored. (though it is a topic that goes into much greater depth, but I don't know just how much psychology one really needs to go into.)

Someone posted a like a link a while ago that has examples that could be used to help learn how to create those types of assignments.

http://www.curriculumproject.com/cgi-bin/tcp_verify.cgi?agency=Indiana+Department+of+Education&href=www.doe.in.gov/&logo=indi.gif&titletext=&uw=true&sw=false&app=uw

Click on a title and then click on the view matrix link and a chart should show up with activities that move up the taxonomy.

This is always how I've done it-out of necessity. I just can't follow a schedule or curric to a T, I always end up suiting it to the kid. Socratic dialogue is a constant here while teaching.

I was waiting for my basement lab to be finished.

That is indeed incredibly awesome. Can you post any pictures so we can salivate over it?

What a wonderful link! thank you! Yes, I've read about Bloom's Taxonomy and Socratic Dialogue. I think I do a fair job of incorporating it but I'm just wondering if I should be doing more. I know it's hard to quantify.

I keep thinking I need to write my own lesson plans but this summer isn't shaping up to my hopes. Last summer I was selling a house, having a new one built, moving into temp storage, living in a hotel, moving into new house and then 2 weeks later school started. I treated water the entire year. I had hoped to spend the summer planning but I feel like the summer is getting away. THe contractor got 2 MONTHS behind on finishing the basement. I finally emptied our offsite storage into our garage and I'm slowly sorted through it - throw out, donate, keep, store. I've gotten our science lab bench almost set up so we can start ACS Middle School chem. And all of my HS stuff is all over the place. The dining room is full of all the stuff that was in the basement and needs to be sorted. Can you tell I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed? And DH was just diagnosed w/ malignant thyroid cancer on Monday. To say I'm a bit distracted is an understatement. And the kids elected to do several Summer Enrichment activities through the school district which are really cheap (well, we pay for it in our taxes:glare:) so I spend every day driving back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. So, to make this long story short, pre-written curricula is starting to look very good.

Capt Uhura (6th grader, 3rd grader, 4yr old)

And DH was just diagnosed w/ malignant thyroid cancer on Monday. To say I'm a bit distracted is an understatement.

Oh my goodness, I am so very sorry.

This is always how I've done it-out of necessity. I just can't follow a schedule or curric to a T, I always end up suiting it to the kid. Socratic dialogue is a constant here while teaching.

:iagree:

What a wonderful link! thank you! Yes, I've read about Bloom's Taxonomy and Socratic Dialogue. I think I do a fair job of incorporating it but I'm just wondering if I should be doing more. I know it's hard to quantify.

I keep thinking I need to write my own lesson plans but this summer isn't shaping up to my hopes. Last summer I was selling a house, having a new one built, moving into temp storage, living in a hotel, moving into new house and then 2 weeks later school started. I treated water the entire year. I had hoped to spend the summer planning but I feel like the summer is getting away. THe contractor got 2 MONTHS behind on finishing the basement. I finally emptied our offsite storage into our garage and I'm slowly sorted through it - throw out, donate, keep, store. I've gotten our science lab bench almost set up so we can start ACS Middle School chem. And all of my HS stuff is all over the place. The dining room is full of all the stuff that was in the basement and needs to be sorted. Can you tell I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed? And DH was just diagnosed w/ malignant thyroid cancer on Monday. To say I'm a bit distracted is an understatement. And the kids elected to do several Summer Enrichment activities through the school district which are really cheap (well, we pay for it in our taxes:glare:) so I spend every day driving back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. So, to make this long story short, pre-written curricula is starting to look very good.

:grouphug: I'm sorry. That's horrible!

Capt_Uhura, I know how overwhelming house building and moving can be. We just came off of a two year build where we were the GC and my husband did most of the work. We moved in this past April! WHEW! It does take over your life!

I am so terribly sorry for your DH's new diagnosis. I have prayed for him and will continue to do so in the hopes that you all find your way on the other side of that and in a much better place!

That is indeed incredibly awesome. Can you post any pictures so we can salivate over it?

WEll, don't get too excited lol. It's a counter with cabinets above and below and a sink. I have a sliding glass door to the right of it in which I'll put a large fan to evacuate any fumes. A science-friend of mine mailed me a magnetic/heat plate so that reduces our need for open flames but I did just receive a bunsen burner (aka camping stove) from Home Science Tools. I do have a fire extinguisher and eye wash station. Next on the list is to figure out how to lock the cabinets. Friends of DC will be over and in the basement un-supervised and I don't want Johnny getting into the HCl, H2SO4 etc. Photo is forthcoming.

thanks everyone....I didn't really realize I was typing that....just a brain dump I suppose. Sometimes you sit and think about the path you're on. If we hadn't bought THIS house, and DH hadn't been moving all the heavy rocks at this house, he wouldn't have hurt his back, which forced him to go to the dr who forced him to sit for a physical which allowed her to detect a very tiny mass on his thyroid that most drs would never detect.....which forced him to get the u/s on his thyroid. Most tumors his size aren't even worried about but the dr is a friend and very conservative (or does she just want our money :lol:) and the u/s showed calcification. The endo said, "Well we normally don't biopsy tumors this tiny but we should take a look now that we know it's there. The chances of it being malignant are very small." When the receptionist called saying the dr wanted to see Dh that day, I knew it was bad. But it's the LEAST aggressive thyroid cancer so w/ surgery and radiation, and medication for life, he should be just fine. I have two different MD friends calling and checking on and personally talking to the surgeon, endo, pathologist who did the assessment so I think we have all the bases covered. It's going to take some time for Dh's psyche to heal from this however. He just went through his "I'm getting old.... I need back surgery crisis" and now this.

And DH was just diagnosed w/ malignant thyroid cancer on Monday. To say I'm a bit distracted is an understatement.

Oh my goodness! I am sooooo sorry to hear this.

My 12 yod has Hashimoto's and her voice started to get very raspy and gravelly. They were concerned exactly about that as a possibility. We just found out yesterday that she doesn't.

I can't imagine. I hope they caught it early and that his prognosis is excellent. :grouphug:

I'm going to try to remember to look for a math activities book series that I had out from the library for many weeks last year. I will post a link when I find them - I have to remember the author's name first. But anyway, these books, I think there were 15 or so, covered all sorts of math concepts, and provided really cool activities to do do bring understanding. I spent many a Saturday afternoon at a table, drawing and cutting out different shapes and playing with them, playing with tessellations, fractals, etc.; and getting my kids to try some things, too.

I was waiting for my basement lab to be finished.

:svengo: Fun! I think I missed something somewhere - are you or dh a scientist? I wish I knew someone with a lab, who could take my kids on as lab students!

And DH was just diagnosed w/ malignant thyroid cancer on Monday.

But it's the LEAST aggressive thyroid cancer so w/ surgery and radiation, and medication for life, he should be just fine.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. But glad to hear that he should be fine. I have a friend who went through that, and she has been fine for years afterwards.

They were concerned exactly about that as a possibility. We just found out yesterday that she doesn't.

So glad.

:svengo: Fun! I think I missed something somewhere - are you or dh a scientist? I wish I knew someone with a lab, who could take my kids on as lab students!

Actually, we both are immunologists. We met in grad school.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. But glad to hear that he should be fine. I have a friend who went through that, and she has been fine for years afterwards.

I'll just be happy when it's all over and get the all-clear for no mets that are resistant to I131.

I'm trying to kick DD4 off the computer so I can upload the photo. :lol:

My 12 yod has Hashimoto's and her voice started to get very raspy and gravelly. They were concerned exactly about that as a possibility. We just found out yesterday that she doesn't.

:

I'm so happy your DD got a negative report!!! I hope her raspy voice improves. You've been through enough w/ the grand baby!

Looks like I"ve successfully derailed my own thread....what would Freud say about that? Ha Ha Ha

Ok let's see if this works. The contractor still needs to come back and put knobs on the cabinets.

I wanna be your neighbour!

OK, now I remember you mentioning immunology before.

Alright I'll help you get your thread back on track - what do you think of the book called something like Illustrated Guide to Chemistry Experiments at Home (too lazy to go look it up, lol). I think the author's last name is Thompson. I read it last year and was inspired. Looks like you could easily use it in that setup!

Edited by Colleen in NS

Ok let's see if this works. The contractor still needs to come back and put knobs on the cabinets.

The stuff on the bench is a distillation apparatus.

That is absolutely gorgeous.

I still need a few safety items....I think the Home Chemistry lab recommends a bucket of sand for fires..... Did mention FIL has a PhD in chemical engineering? And distillation is his speciality. :001_smile:

The chemicals are in the cabinets on the left. That's the one I need to figure out a locking mechanism. Or perhaps keep them in lock boxes...one for conc acids, one for conc bases, and for other.

We also have nice floor space for our LEGO NXT stuff which was always a problem before. The problem is, this space is supposed to house all my homeschool stuff but it looks so nice, I don't want to bring all my stuff into the basement. Ha Ha Ha.

Edited by Capt_Uhura

I have been reading the highschool thread. It has been a total overwhelming read so I have just been lurking and thinking. I intend to do this on this thread as well but I just wanted to say: Capt. Uhura, I am so sorry regarding your dh's diagnosis. I know all too well how cancer changes everything. Your family will be in my thoughts during the upcoming days.

Whao. Whoa.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

You've been through a LOT these last years. That's just a massive, massive weight of a year.

Edited by justamouse

I'm so happy your DD got a negative report!!! I hope her raspy voice improves. You've been through enough w/ the grand baby!

Looks like I"ve successfully derailed my own thread....what would Freud say about that? Ha Ha Ha

Thank you. I have been trying not to panic the last few weeks as we went and waited through the various appts. She had mono earlier this spring and her TSH #s have been really, really high and she has been so tired that she just hasn't been acting normal for months. B/c of all her symptoms it was hard not to worry.

Well, may I derail your thread even more? It looks like my granddaughter is going to be released from the hospital on Monday. She is doing incredibly well. Ds graduates in 4 weeks. We have been incredibly blessed.

I'm glad your dh's cancer sounds like it is on the less serious end of the spectrum. But regardless, it is scary and stressful. Enjoy your family and each other. It puts everything in perspective, doesn't it?

What we're doing to wrap up our medieval studies and integrate everything:

A newspaper. A big one. Actually I think I'm going to buy a large scrap book because I want them to fill it and do it chronological order. I see this as very tongue in cheek, I want them to have a blast.

articles:

Church Chat: I'll let them make this one up

Court Corner: someone was tried by ordeal-they need to make up the offense and write the article about the outcome

Bard Reviews: Song of Roland, King Arthur, Robin Hood -write a review ont he bards and the songs they sung at the feast

Breaking News: John signs the Magna Charta

War Report: There and Back Again; the Crusades, Joan Rides to the Rescue

For Sale: Weaponry, used armor

Real Estate: Castle For Sale, two towers, stables, garderrobe, sizeable torture chamber..yada yada, make it sound like a current house ad and what's included in the sale

Fashion Corner: Big Headgear and Hose

(Sports) Tourney Roundup: Who won a tournament

Health and Lifestyle: The Black Death, natural health precautions

Ads: Globe Theater auditions, women need not apply

Restaurant reviews: The Buttery hosts wine and cheese night

Gossip Corner: The Squire's Squawk

Ds12 is going to be the editor

I'm going to do this every year

That is gorgeous. I wanna be your neighbor too! ;)

I'm very sorry to hear about your dh's diagnosis, but am glad to hear they caught it so early and that it sounds treatable. :grouphug:

I can I just be friends with and follow you people? I think most of my favorite posters have posted on this thread, and I just want to say that you all are incredible and I hope I am homeschooling as well and as creatively as you all when my kids get to the logic stage.

I'm so glad that everyone's health issues seem to be improving and that lab is amazing!!

A newspaper. A big one. Actually I think I'm going to buy a large scrap book because I want them to fill it and do it chronological order. I see this as very tongue in cheek, I want them to have a blast.

Ds12 is going to be the editor

I'm going to do this every year

That is such a cool idea!

Yes, to get this thread back on track......

Paula inspired me earlier this yr with the idea of doing a study of the movie Inception. (Fwiw, this is with my 15 and 17 yr olds, not my younger kids, but it was so much fun I'll post it here.)

We got the script and watched the movie along with it multiple times. They also read The Allegory of the Cave from Plato's Republic, a book on philosophy called Labyrinth of Reason, a book on mythology about Ariadne, the minotaur, and the labryinth (in case you haven't seen the movie, it is basically a dream labyrinth and the architect's name is Ariadne.), Through the Looking Glass, and Farhenheit 451. After reading the books and watching the movie multiple times, they really dissected the movie and talked about the influences of perception and how even movies are impacted by ancient works. They each created a project representing their own labyrinth. Unfortunately, we didn't get the full benefit of enjoying the very end of the study b/c that is when our granddaughter made her early arrival and school stopped abruptly, but what we did do was very thought-provoking and they enjoyed it immensely. It was definitely a more creative course from its inception. LOL!! ;)

articles:

Can I steal that? We're doing middle ages this year! What a wonderful idea!

Yes, to get this thread back on track......

Paula inspired me earlier this yr with the idea of doing a study of the movie Inception. (Fwiw, this is with my 15 and 17 yr olds, not my younger kids, but it was so much fun I'll post it here.)

We got the script and watched the movie along with it multiple times. They also read The Allegory of the Cave from Plato's Republic, a book on philosophy called Labyrinth of Reason, a book on mythology about Ariadne, the minotaur, and the labryinth (in case you haven't seen the movie, it is basically a dream labyrinth and the architect's name is Ariadne.), Through the Looking Glass, and Farhenheit 451. After reading the books and watching the movie multiple times, they really dissected the movie and talked about the influences of perception and how even movies are impacted by ancient works. They each created a project representing their own labyrinth. Unfortunately, we didn't get the full benefit of enjoying the very end of the study b/c that is when our granddaughter made her early arrival and school stopped abruptly, but what we did do was very thought-provoking and they enjoyed it immensely. It was definitely a more creative course from its inception. LOL!! ;)

What a great idea!

That is gorgeous.

I'm sorry to hear about your dh's diagnosis, but I'm glad they took it seriously in the first place and did the biopsy.

Here is a link to the math activity books I mentioned yesterday. Marion Smoothey is the author.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=marion+smoothey&x=0&y=0

Oh, and a few other activity books we liked, by Catherine Sheldrick Ross:

http://www.amazon.com/Circles-Ideas-Getting--Round-Math/dp/0201622688/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310748177&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Squares-Shapes-Math-Science-Nature/dp/1550742736/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310748177&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Triangles-Shapes-Math-Science-Nature/dp/1550741942/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310748177&sr=1-7

All the amazon descriptions say these are for ages 9-12, but I don't see any reason why a 13-14 year old couldn't get a lot out of these, too.

Edited by Colleen in NS

How do we achieve a balance of getting "it" done, fulfilling state obligations (standardized testing) and foster creativity/problem solving?

But is that enough?

My simplistic answer is that I just do my best within my circumstances. I also tend to divide "skills building" time from "content or conceptual activity" time. The skills building time does take time to go through for us, for a variety of reasons. I try to make it efficient, probably because my personality would rather get on to the other more creative stuff like knitting or going outside or whatever. And giving my kids plenty of time for outdoors/Legos/dolls/reading/baking/etc.. But the skills building time sometimes takes more time in the day, so then I just plain don't have the energy to dream up creative projects to do with my kids (although they do quite well doing this for themselves). But like you mentioned with the ladder problem, I tend to mostly let problem-solving situations come up and when I remember, help them think through it instead of telling them how to solve it. Questions. I am forever reminding myself to ask them questions instead of always telling them (although if it's something minor/insignificant/inappropriate for the time, I'll tell them - like how to spell a word while taking dictation). I do find these opportunities come up all the time. Esp. it seems as they get older, and they want to know more about how to conduct themselves like adults. Currently my son asks a lot of questions about what people think about this and that, or how people should act in this or that situation.

I'm glad you brought up this question of "how do you foster creativity/problem-solving," because I'm enjoying seeing people's personal examples of how they do it (like 8FilltheHeart's Inception example, and justamouse's newspaper example). It's examples like this that really help me "see" how people teach or foster or encourage things.

ETA a fun little side note: on regentrude's thread about how to help students in her physics classes, I talked about my knitting pattern experience (trying to knit a paneled-ball for my sis's babies). I ripped one panel out about five times before I finally realized the one instruction I was reading incorrectly. So I finished a panel and began another. About three times so far. I have to really sit and concentrate on the instructions, and I keep getting distracted. Well anyway, this a.m. at the library, I FOUND A BOOK WITH THE SAME BALL PANELS AND A CHART FOR ME TO USE!!! Since it's a knitting chart, it's just squares filled in for where the stockinette stitches go, not a bunch of crochet stitch symbols that I'd have to learn, so this could make things a lot easier for me. :D

Edited by Colleen in NS