Menu

Algebra 1 Recommendations besides Lial's and Developing Mathematics

Hello,

I'm needing some more math programs to check out. Last year, we started with Discovering Mathematics 1 (Singapore Math type program.) We had to switch because of how much more in depth the program was than most Pre-Algebra programs. We switched to Lial's Pre-Algebra which he sped through quickly and found annoying because of all the explanations.

Can anyone recommend a program that might be in between?

I'm looking forward to hearing what others might have to suggest.

Thank-you,

Annette

Perhaps I should not suggest anything, as I have seen neither of the two programs you mention.

FWIW, then (if anything :)), we have taught successfully from Foerster's Algebra I textbook, and liked it very much. We strongly dislike anything from Saxon. We backed off from Teaching Textbook (did not even use it) after discovering that what they call "algebra 2" is, for anybody else, so we have been told, the completion of "algebra 1". This fall, yet another dc shall commence Jacob's algebra 1.

Thank's for the suggestion about Foerster's. I forgot to mention that I don't like the spiral approach of Saxon or an online course like Kinetic (which I had already purchased). Also, Jacob's and MUS are not considerations.

I would have stuck with the DM if it hadn't gotten into more advanced topics at each problem set. Maybe I should have stopped sooner into the problem set but I wasn't sure how far to make him go and still consider it Pre-Algebra. We really loved the Singapore Math mainly because of how it develops mathematical thinking.

Edited by AnnetteW

I would have stuck with the DM if it hadn't gotten into more advanced topics at each problem set. Maybe I should have stopped sooner into the problem set but I wasn't sure how far to make him go and still consider it Pre-Algebra. We really loved the Singapore Math mainly because of how it develops mathematical thinking.

Do you mean like Basic Practice to Further Practice to Challenging? Basic Practice covers the material well and you don't need to go further then that if you choose not too.

Dawn,

That's probably what we might should have done. It's just hard not to finish a problem set. Maybe we should have used the WB for more practice on the basic material and let go of the rest.

Edited by AnnetteW

We used Algebra: Structure and Method, book 1 (Dolciani, et al).

We also used Algebra: Structure & Method Book 1. What a great program! My older guy used Saxon, and never again will I go there. It was not a good fit for him or my younger one who did not need all the repetition.

The one who used Algebra: Structure & Method Book 1 has also used Geometry, and Algebra 2 in the same series, and they were just as good. What I really liked about this series is that the TM has lesson plans for "basic", "average", and "advanced" so you can adjust the level to your student. Also, the problem sets are divided into A (straight forward), B (requires some thought), and C (downright challenging). I ended up switching back and forth between the "average" and the "advanced" lesson plans to give my son a bit of a challenge, but not so much that it became very time consuming. This same kiddo used Singapore PM, and the Structure & Method series is a good transition from that. The lessons in the text are fairly concise and the examples are clear. The only downside would be that the TM just has the answers, not the worked out solutions. I have a background in higher math, so that hasn't been a problem for us.

Hope you find a good fit!

Brenda

Dawn,

That's probably what we might should have done. It's just hard not to finish a problem set. Maybe we should have used the WB for more practice on the basic material and let go of the rest.

Yup. We go into Further Practice and sometimes Challenging but other times we just leave it be. I used to insist on it all being done but then read somewhere (here?) that in Singapore a good score on the tests is around 75%. That if kids are getting 90% or more then the material is considered too easy. I can see that philosophy in the TB and WB now and so don't feel bad abou tnot doing some of the stuff that had me cross eyed. :) It does cut down a bit on content but someone here pointed me the Math MAmmoth's Algebra 1 worksheets today and they look excellent so I'm going to supplement a bit with those.

I have a friend who's from Singapore, and she had her dd go through with just the textbook. It's really the workbook that ramps up the difficulty. But I know exactly where you're coming from, because I had my dd do most of problems from Further Practice, Challenging and Enrichment in the workbook - they were just so meaty! Now, my other dd was using Lial's Preaglebra (and it was perfect for her), and her sister asked once "can't I do 'easy math' like my sister?" But then I pointed out how bored she would be. :tongue_smilie:

I was thinking of doing Foerster's Algebra with the dd I did Discovering Mathematics 1 with, but she really likes AoPS Number Theory (doing 2nd half of it this summer with her), so we're going to try AoPS Alg 1 in the fall, with Foerster's as a backup if that ends up being too tough. Maybe Foerster's is a middle ground? Or if you don't mind sticking with the non-traditional sequence, Discovering Mathematics even without the workbook or with just a few of the workbook problems is still probably meatier than the others (except probably AoPS).

Other dd who did Lial's Prealgebra last year will do Lials Alg 1 in fall.

Edited by matroyshka

My favorite Algebra I program is Kinetic Books. I also like Jacobs.

I'm trying out Uncle Dan's Algebra I worksheets with my 13yo right now. She won't touch a math program on the computer and she freaked out about all the other programs I showed her. This one seems to be okay with her for now. We'll see how it goes when she gets further into it.