Menu

Is anyone following the Tour de France this year?

What a rough day! Alexander Vinocourav breaks his femur and that stupid VIP car wipes out two riders!?! :crying: I think we need a do-over for the entire day.

Yikes - I wasn't following today but maybe I'm glad! Not good.

I have watched every stage except today's. We DVR'd it but haven't had a chance to watch yet. But dh looked it up online and gave me the info.

I agree with the complete do-over for today. I have been so impressed with Thor Hushovd being able to hold on to the yellow jersey. I know he really should have lost it before now, but i was beginning to hope he's keep hanging on to it. It must have been a real humdinger of a race to separate the pack so much in just one stage.

I am glad to see the Schlecks up at the front. And I like Cadel Evans too. I'm also impressed with Phillippe Gilbert.

We are absolutely obsessed this year. We watched the coverage last night after picking kids up from camp and were absolutely blown away by the car incident.

So many of the big names are out already this year due to injury. It has been a tough Tour, but these are some tough guys. I love their "Never give up. Never surrender!" attitude until they absolutely have to be carried out of the race.

No!! "A Good Year" starring Russell Crowe.

I haven't seen this one (which is amazing since Russell Crowe makes me swoon).

In Dodgeball, Vince Vaughn did yell "Lance Armstrong" when he saw him. Lance talks him back into the tournament by saying that he didn't quit when he had cancer. (I do hate to admit I watched this movie, but dh loves juvenile movies like this.)

I guess there is more than one movie that Lance gets his name shouted in.

My husband was telling me today that Hoogerland needed 33 stitches in his legs after that car sent him flying into a barbed wire fence. Now what's truly amazing about this is that after he managed to untangle himself from the barbed wire, a doc very quickly cleaned him up and wrapped some gauze around his legs and he finished the race. With wounds bad enough to need 33 stitches he finished the race. I am in awe.

• 2 weeks later...
BIG day.....Deciding day.......Alpe-d'HUEZ!!!!

Me wants the Schleck Bros-1,2, and Evans on the Sunday Podium!!:D:D

:party::boxing_smiley::party:

We just watched yesterday's stage this morning, and it rocked! Can't wait to see today's!!!

Yes! I've been watching the Tour stages online every day via NBC Sports All Access.

I'm a Garmin-Cervelo girl, and we've had a good tour. (My brother and I both ride Cervelos.) Between Thor Hushovd in the yellow for the first week, some dramatic stage wins, the awesome Team Time Trial, Tommy D in top 10 in the GC, and the current lead in the overall team standings, we've had a great few weeks!

I ride my bike on the trainer while watching the stages. (I beat them all to the top of the Alpe d'Huez in my own mind this morning!) In the spring, it's the Giro d'Italia, in July, the TdF, and then I have the Vuelta de Espana to look forward to in August. I also love the spring classics...

I'm such a geek. :D

Yes! I've been watching the Tour stages online every day via NBC Sports All Access.

I'm a Garmin-Cervelo girl, and we've had a good tour. (My brother and I both ride Cervelos.) Between Thor Hushovd in the yellow for the first week, some dramatic stage wins, the awesome Team Time Trial, Tommy D in top 10 in the GC, and the current lead in the overall team standings, we've had a great few weeks!

I ride my bike on the trainer while watching the stages. (I beat them all to the top of the Alpe d'Huez in my own mind this morning!) In the spring, it's the Giro d'Italia, in July, the TdF, and then I have the Vuelta de Espana to look forward to in August. I also love the spring classics...

I'm such a geek. :D

Ah, yes-a true VELO geek. :hurray: But, are you friends with any Pros on FB?:001_rolleyes:;):D Have you asked Bob Roll a question on Versus?;):lol:

(I ride a Giant Dash when my fibro allows for it, and dh is true to Specialized.:D)

We just watched yesterday's stage this morning, and it rocked! Can't wait to see today's!!!

It's been an amazing tour! Nasty, horrid crashes. Then Thor's performance as an all around awesome athlete, Cavendish gaining most decorated Sprinter(in the eyes of Phil and Bob, anyway:D), then this Epic stage win from AS.

No constant drugging rumors-that right there makes it all the more fun to watch!:D

WARNING----PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL TODAY's(stage 19) results, until after mid-night.....;)

Yesterday was such a fun stage to watch. I watched it with dh last night feeling very nostalgic. The first year I ever watched the tdf was 8 years ago when I was pregnant with my first dc. The morning of the day he was born my water broke at 4am and I passed my time sitting on an exercise ball watching Armstrong and Jan Ulrich battle it out through the mountains. I was so upset that I had to go to the hospital and miss the end of the race. But since it was so fresh in my mind that was the imagery that got me though contractions. None of the cresting wave imagery that I had heard. With every contraction I battled my way up a mountain with them (those are some serious climbs!), made it to the top, and flew down the other side as the contraction peaked and went away. The tour will be forever linked with that birth and such strong feelings come back every year. I can't wait to see who wins this year!

Yesterday was such a fun stage to watch. I watched it with dh last night feeling very nostalgic. The first year I ever watched the tdf was 8 years ago when I was pregnant with my first dc. The morning of the day he was born my water broke at 4am and I passed my time sitting on an exercise ball watching Armstrong and Jan Ulrich battle it out through the mountains. I was so upset that I had to go to the hospital and miss the end of the race. But since it was so fresh in my mind that was the imagery that got me though contractions. None of the cresting wave imagery that I had heard. With every contraction I battled my way up a mountain with them (those are some serious climbs!), made it to the top, and flew down the other side as the contraction peaked and went away. The tour will be forever linked with that birth and such strong feelings come back every year. I can't wait to see who wins this year!

That is waaay cool!! :grouphug::grouphug::D:D

Ah, yes-a true VELO geek. :hurray: But, are you friends with any Pros on FB?:001_rolleyes:;):D Have you asked Bob Roll a question on Versus?;):lol:

Yes to the first, and no to the second! But I'm sitting here in my Garmin-Cervelo signed team t-shirt, so that makes up for it, right? :lol:

Cavendish gaining most decorated Sprinter(in the eyes of Phil and Bob, anyway:D)

Haha! I've had to mute them a few times! :lol:

Between all their crying about Bradley Wiggins and Team Sky, yammering on about wildcard teams (who really cares about Saur-Sojasun?), repeatedly calling poor Nicholas Roche by his father's name, mixing up miles and kilometers, and going on and on about Cavendish and HTC-Highroad's "perfect leadout train," they drive me nuts sometimes!

This is our fifth year of rolling out of bed in the dark for all the early start times. No replays here! I jump back and forth between here and Velonews and Cycling news. Hubby rides the Cervelo but my poor body can only handle the LeMond spin cycle while watching "Chasing Legends". For the past 3 years, if I can't sleep I pull out my tattered copy of "Bobke II". Love the spring classics all the way through the Vuelta. Go Schleks!

This is our fifth year of rolling out of bed in the dark for all the early start times. No replays here! I jump back and forth between here and Velonews and Cycling news. Hubby rides the Cervelo but my poor body can only handle the LeMond spin cycle while watching "Chasing Legends". For the past 3 years, if I can't sleep I pull out my tattered copy of "Bobke II". Love the spring classics all the way through the Vuelta. Go Schleks!

Okay-you deserve the awesome title of The True Velo Geek!!:lol::lol:

So....Will ole Bob retire??

I think NOT!!

My man's in YELLOW!!:D:party::hurray: I called it-Schleck Bros 1,2 and Evans 3. Whooo-Whooo!!!

I can't resist saying....Nice **** try Alberto, now go take your dance under the disco ball!!:lol:

I can't resist saying....Nice **** try Alberto, now go take your dance under the disco ball!!:lol:

While I'm not crazy about Contador, I wish I could dance the way he does! He's clearly off though. Whether it's because of the Giro, or the impending CAS hearing, or the fact that he's given up clenbuterol-laced meat... who knows... I like to watch him climb though (when he's not mashing in a huge gear and throwing his bike around like he's been)!

Rolland rode an amazing race yesterday. I suspect we'll see a lot more of him in the future. He spent the past couple of weeks keeping Voekler in yellow, and it was pretty crazy to see what he could do on his own!

Okay, back to watching today's TT! :D

I don't think it would have been good for cycling if Alberto had come out and dominated the race. I admit to being gleeful with his 3rd place on Alp D Huez.

What happened to Cancellara this year? I also love Tony Martin-

Bobke is not allowed to retire until he's the same age as Phil!

Gotta go! Cadel's up!

I'm so bummed for Andy!! But....Psyched for Cadel. He's older and doesn't have as many tours ahead.:) Awesome TT for him!!

Andy's amazing performance in stage 18 was so incredible-I wanted him to win the overall....

However...

So.Glad. Contador. Did. NOT. Get. On. The. Podium. in. Paris!!:D

So, Contador vows he'll be back next year to win. Big *Sigh*- He better sit out of the Tour of Italy.:glare:

Whatever the outcome, this was one of the most exciting TDF in years!!:party:

I'm so bummed for Andy!! But....Psyched for Cadel. He's older and doesn't have as many tours ahead.:) Awesome TT for him!!

Andy's amazing performance in stage 18 was so incredible-I wanted him to win the overall....

However...

So.Glad. Contador. Did. NOT. Get. On. The. Podium. in. Paris!!:D

So, Contador vows he'll be back next year to win. Big *Sigh*- He better sit out of the Tour of Italy.:glare:

Whatever the outcome, this was one of the most exciting TDF in years!!:party:

:iagree:I completely agree with your entire post (except for being bummed about Andy - I felt he was a bit too cocky this year). I love Cadel!! And Tommy V. was SO fun to watch. It probably would have been a totally different race if so many of the big names had not crashed early on, but what a race it turned out to be! We had a blast watching this year!

My ds is really getting into road biking and will be riding his second Time Trial this Friday. We live fairly close to Boulder and it is crazy the amount of bikes on the road - almost more bikes than cars on the roads outside of the city.

I am impatiently waiting for my dh to return from an errand. We haven't seen the end of the Paris stage yet and I want to wait and see it with him.

By the way, Cadel has a great website that he blogs on.

www. cadelevans.com.au (I still haven't figured out how to put links in like this here). His wife is Italian and she has put up some incredible looking Italian recipes in her blog area "Chiara's Corner". Some of the risotto's look very yummy.

I am going to have "Tour" withdrawls now.

I am going to have "Tour" withdrawls now.

This morning, I got up and thought, "What do I do with myself now that the Tour is over?" But hey... another month and we've got the Vuelta to watch! I also have two races of my own coming up in August and September, so time to get outside and ride instead of sitting on the trainer during the TdF stages.

Cadel Evans did a fabulous job on the TT. Andy is probably doomed to be a bridesmaid until he learns to race against the clock.

I volunteered at the Minneapolis Tour de Fat on Saturday, and spent half my time talking to other bike geeks about that time trial. :lol:

My favorite moment was when Jonathan Vaughters walked up to the podium for the team award, holding the cardboard cutout of Dave Zabriskie. I kept waiting for the Phil and Paul to notice it. It was awesome to see Garmin-Cervelo win! (The women's team had a great week too, at the Thüringen Rundfahrt!)

:party:

This morning, I got up and thought, "What do I do with myself now that the Tour is over?" But hey... another month and we've got the Vuelta to watch! I also have two races of my own coming up in August and September, so time to get outside and ride instead of sitting on the trainer during the TdF stages.

:party:

I am missing it, too!! Good luck on your races! I just got a new bike about two weeks ago and I need to get out on it more.

I heard that the Schlecks have signed on to race in the USA Pro Cycling Challenge in Colorado! We will be there!! I'm excited to see who else will be racing. It's not France, but hey... the Rockies aren't too shabby.

I am a total novice (I have no idea what I'm talking about really) but my husband got me watching these last few years. I too was glad that Cadel won (and thrilled that Contador didn't). I was also happy for Garmin-Cervelo (I like most of their riders) but bummed that Tyler Farrar didn't do better. Well, I would have liked it if ANYONE had beaten Cavendish. I was holding out hope for Rojas in that last sprint.

I had no idea what to do with myself as I poured my coffee this morning. Maybe I will be joining you guys to watch the next big one...

Did any of you read the Livestream Diaries on Velonews? Some of them were very funny! My favorite was the report of the fellow in red Izod coveralls who was admited to the psych facility after hearing Wheezer's Brave New World for the 6,132 time. Now I have to watch my Velo celebrity news....Which team has a sponser, who is resigning, who is trading teams, who had a positive blood test and has Chris Horner recovered? This will hold me until Aug. 20th and the Vuelta!

Awesome sharing TDF with you all-:grouphug:

Sorry, can't resist..........LANCE ARMSTRONG!

Name that movie.

LOL! My kids and I (all avid cyclists) often quote that line -- yelling "LAHNCE AHRMSTRONG!!!" in Russell Crowe's fake-British accent! Love it!

I am missing it, too!! Good luck on your races! I just got a new bike about two weeks ago and I need to get out on it more.

I heard that the Schlecks have signed on to race in the USA Pro Cycling Challenge in Colorado! We will be there!! I'm excited to see who else will be racing. It's not France, but hey... the Rockies aren't too shabby.

I was able to see Andy Schleck, Jens Voigt (a total class act -- and he's turning *40* this fall!), et al. this May in the Tour of California (as well as Lance last year). It was awesome. They toiled up (OK, breezed up) local hills I've been riding for decades. A real thrill. Have fun watching the Schleck brothers!!!

DH, who works for Garmin, came home from work today and announced that the Garmin-Cervelo team will be at Garmin HQ at the end of August for a meet and greet. The best news is that DH and DS can cycle a 20 mile ride with the team!!!!!! DS is over the moon. He is now trying to figure out how to save money to buy a Garmin jersey for the team to sign.