Menu

Help! I'm drowning trying to figure out spelling!

bnrmom

Please bear with me - I know I've asked a lot of questions, but I am so confused and it is the area I worry the most about for my 10yo son.

I'm looking at various programs, but don't really get how to implement a lot of them. For instance, I'm looking at Phonetic Zoo, and the teacher's manual says:

"Discuss the difference between a root word and a suffix." and

"Also review compound words where two complete words are combined (as in railway)." and

"In the Level C list, take note that painstakingly uses the vowel-consonant-e pattern to make the a long

in stake. However, when the –ing suffix is added, the silent e is dropped."

Okay, great, but I feel like I need some guidance about how to explain root word and suffix. That's why I need a curriculum! I can review compound words just by talking about them, but is that enough? And how am I supposed to explain about why the silent e is dropped when the -ing suffix is added?

I have Sequential Spelling, Level 1. I've read the whole thing but don't get how I'm supposed to teach it. We just go through the list and add letters to "in" or "at" until we get to bigger words?

With AAS, I'm concerned that my kids are just going to be overwhelmed with all the rules, and a friend of mine who used it said her son just forgot the rules as soon as they stopped using it.

I am interested in Spell Well, or How To Teach Spelling, but can't find any samples or much info about these programs.

I really don't want to spend $50+ on a spelling program only to be floundering to explain why the list of words is spelled the way it is. I

am a natural speller, so I really don't know the rules or exactly how to explain why a word is explained the way it is. I also really don't want to further frustrate my son or make him feel any worse about his spelling. Help!

:bigear:

I also have a 10 yo that needs to really work on spelling. I have already purchased level 4 and 5 or AAS but didn't realized I had to start at a lower level for this age. This program is expensive and I don't know about the amount of time involved in teaching it or how to teach it. I have also considered Sequential Spelling but that almost seems to easy?

I am interested in comments as well from people with more experience

I bought Spelling Plus and the Dictation book that goes with it. It divides words by spelling rules. It has premade lists and huge lists in the back of similar words. It lays out a plan of study for the words and tells. you how to create your own lists based on your child's spelling. It is supposed to be enough to get you through 6th grade. I plan to do a word list one week, then use the dictation for that list the next week. I hope that by the time I work through the book, I will be comfortable enough to create my own lists of words that ds needs to practice.

As far as discussing the root word and a suffix, I think the easiest way is to give a brief explanation and then lots of examples. Show some root words, then add some suffixes. Have your child add suffixes on to some root words and then maybe give your ds some words with suffixes and have him underline the root word, then show some words and underline the suffix. You could also have a mix of root words and words with suffixes and ask him to pick out the ones that are just root words or just words with suffixes. He'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

For compound words, I will pick a word and we will add another one at the end and see how many we can make. Then we pick another word and add a word in front of it to make words. Easy and the kids think it's fun.

The rule for when to drop a silent final e is "silent final e words commonly lose the need for the e when adding a vowel suffix". Or at least that is the rule that we use.

I use SWR (Spell to Write to Read). It's a little pricy but you use the same curriculum for years so you end up getting your money's worth. You are given rules (if any apply) for each word so you always know why something is spelled the way it is. My dc really like this b/c spelling makes sense to them this way. There is a definite learning curve to SWR, but it's not hard once you get used to it. It's really the only thing I have used. Sorry I can't be more helpful suggesting other options!

I believe Sequential Spelling works on the premise that kids eventually intuite correct spelling. You could add a rule book to the program to explain the patterns as you go. For my oldest, we found it was too teacher-intensive for his liking (I can only imagine how we would have fared with AAS, lol). The independence of Megawords has been a better fit for him. And it is quite affordable.

It looks like Spalding only comes as the $185ish kit? Or am I missing a home based version?

Right now I am leaning towards Spelling Plus. I can't really wrap my head around the other programs.

Any other thoughts about spelling?

we also use spelling plus & the dictation book. my daughter is almost 10 and this has been the best program for her. we are going into our 2nd year with it & love it. hth.

ETA - for us, the dictation resource book is what i use the most. i feel it's necessary to really make the program complete. just my 2 cents.:)

I was going to suggest that you might want to look for an older version of the Spell to Write and Read manual ( it will probably be pretty cheap) and read through it yourself. You would learn alot that would help you with whatever spelling curriculum you choose to use. And it is easier to read and understand than spalding. ( If you don't want to purchase the whole program)

If you are looking for a new program I do suggest checking out Spell to Write and Read before you buy something else. It really is a good program.

They have spelling rule cards to help your children learn and remember the rules.

Also have your children memorize the rules (there are only 28) just for the sake of memorizing them. You memorize them also so that when they mispell a word you can say ok what rule is this? And point it out to them to help apply the spelling lesson to the real world of writing.

You being a natural speller will have to learn this stuff in order to help them with spelling.

Hope that helps and makes some sense.

I'm a natural speller too, so hear where you are coming from! One of the most important things for us as natural spelling moms to do is to learn the rules alongside our children so we can remind them to apply them or use them to explain new spelling words when we run into spelling oopsies in their writing in other areas.

I would recommend you do take a look at AAS. It is rule-based, but it is incremental and includes a lot of review, so it slowly builds upon itself and the rules come slow and steady. It is really working for us, AND it is scripted, which I think you'd like based on your post. It tells you how to explain, demonstrate, and test for understanding of spelling concepts. It is very detailed and doesn't just leave you hanging with implementation :).

I wasn't sure if my daughter would dig the rules, but she was SO frustrated with her spelling ability, and learning the guts of spelling has really, really improved her writing confidence. It is very reassuring to her to be equipped with the rules she needs to spell correctly.

I would recommend you do take a look at AAS. It is rule-based, but it is incremental and includes a lot of review, so it slowly builds upon itself and the rules come slow and steady. It is really working for us, AND it is scripted, which I think you'd like based on your post. It tells you how to explain, demonstrate, and test for understanding of spelling concepts. It is very detailed and doesn't just leave you hanging with implementation :).

:iagree:

We used Spelling Workout for Gr 1 and 2 and it just wasn't sticking with my son at all. He was also a self-taught reader and didn't use phonics, so I wanted some phonics work. We switched to AAS at the end of 2nd grade and started with Level 1. It's been a really good fit.

We do 15 minute lessons daily. Some steps take a while to work through. Others move pretty quickly. When he gets a new key card, I have him write it in a notebook for reinforcement. He's doing a very good job at remembering the rules - much better than I am! He's also had a large improvement with sounding out words since using AAS.

spelling plus & the dictation book.

:iagree:

Simple to use, rules all there and explained, focuses on most common 1,000 words but arranges them by rule and pattern.

We have moved past it now and will be using Megawords and combined Spelling/Vocab with Marcia Henry's Words, but I did like it and think it will be a good fit in your case. I am saving it for my son, and also show it to moms of my remedial students, I recommend it often.

All About Spelling has worked wonders in our family. I have had the opposite experience than your friend as far as kids remembering the rules. AAS is the FIRST program we've used where my kids have retained what they learned over summer and transferred their spelling lessons into their everyday writing. I tend to like curriculum that's not teacher intensive (since I'm hs'ing 6 kids), but I don't find AAS to be too overwhelming. Maybe it's because the program has worked so well, that I'm willing to invest the time. Also, I don't teach spelling to all of my kids everyday. They each have about 3 spelling lessons per week, except my child who really struggled with spelling. She has 4 lessons per week. If you can leave the tiles set up on a board, it's really pretty easy!

With AAS, I'm concerned that my kids are just going to be overwhelmed with all the rules, and a friend of mine who used it said her son just forgot the rules as soon as they stopped using it.

AAS does have rules, but we didn't find them overwhelming because they are introduced one at a time. Also there is built in review, so if they do forget one, you just bring it back into the daily review. I wrote here about how I help my kids use the rules in their writing so that they continue to apply them--they don't forget what they use. AAS also incorporates other strategies--not just rules, so that kids learn to analyze a word and decide what strategy will help them the most.

HTH some! Merry :-)