Menu

Carrot "fries" are amazing!

Everyone here probably already knows all about them, but I just "discovered" them, so allow me my moment of swooning. :D

I made them because carrots were all I had in the house at the time, but I didn't *feel* like carrots. So, I just used the same basic principle that I use with brussels sprouts. I'm very glad I did. Everyone loved them & there were none left in the bowl.

This is what I did: Cut carrots into pieces -- 3 inches or so. Used my crinkle cutter to cut each piece in half lengthwise and then each of those into three pieces (also lengthwise). Tossed them with two tablespoons of olive oil. Spread them in a pan. Sprinkled with salt. Baked at 375 for 20 minutes. Sooooo good!

Lisa

It is so funny that you mention this today. A friend made us sweet potato fries and they were so good. I asked my dc if they remembered when I used to make carrot fries and they couldn't (it was 6 houses ago) so I told them I would find my recipe. Thanks for saving me the time!

WE do this with sweet potatoes... but regular oil, not olive. Yummmmm!!! I'll try it with carrots next time. Thanks!

not to get too OT, but how do you do this with sweet potatoes. (I always actually "fry" them.) How thin do you cut them and how long do you bake them?

I'm glad that you all (y'all) appreciated the tip, but now the perfectionist in me is worried that you won't like them nearly as well as did we. :o That's just the neurosis talking...I really did appreciate the reminders to use this technique with sweet potatoes. I also got to thinking that fresh green beans would be great prepared the same way. So many veggies, so little time. :D

Lisa

not to get too OT, but how do you do this with sweet potatoes. (I always actually "fry" them.) How thin do you cut them and how long do you bake them?

I like yams better than sweet potatoes but you could do this with either. I cut them in strips. (Leave the skin on or peel it according to your likes on this). I put them on a cookie sheet and spritz some olive oil on top and then mix it around with my spatula until they are lightly coated. I like to sprinkle some garlic on top or rosemary. Bake in oven at 450 degrees for about 40 min.

I'm glad that you all (y'all) appreciated the tip, but now the perfectionist in me is worried that you won't like them nearly as well as did we. :o That's just the neurosis talking...I really did appreciate the reminders to use this technique with sweet potatoes. I also got to thinking that fresh green beans would be great prepared the same way. So many veggies, so little time. :D

Lisa

LOL! You sound just like me! I will rave about something and then worry about whether others liked it afterwards!

Have you used baby carrots or do you just use the big ones?

LOL! You sound just like me! I will rave about something and then worry about whether others liked it afterwards!

Have you used baby carrots or do you just use the big ones?

What *is* it about people pleasers, anyway?? :D The answer to your questions is: yes. Actually, I used both because I had both (but not enough of either). It doesn't really matter. You'll still have to cut the baby carrots lengthwise, though. The important things are (a) be sure the carrot fries are all basically the same thickness and (b) cooking time may vary due to thickness and personal "crisp" preference. Mine end up having just about the same consistency in the middle as a french fry, but not quite as crisp on the outside. So, adjust, play, enjoy. ;)

Lisa