Menu

fun book suggestions (recreational reading) for my 9yo dd?

She was kind-of whining tonight that she needs some new books because she's read all of hers (the hundreds that she has) -- not entirely true, but I guess some of the unread ones just aren't that appealing to her right now.

She tends to enjoy adventure, humor, magical or fantasy themes (unicorns, dragons, wizards, etc...), and some historical fiction. She's already read all of the Redwall series (which she loved), all of Harry Potter, all the Little House books, various/most Royal Diaries/Dear America/Girls of Many Lands/American Girl books, some Star Wars books. Another favorite book is Stick and Whittle. She just finished Eragon today & I've requested Eldest from the library. She tends to enjoy series books, but singles would be ok too.

Some she tried & didn't like: Warriors series, Percy Jackson & the Olympians series, and Inkheart.

Hmmm, maybe she'd like The Hobbit? (I don't think of those books being for kids because I didn't read LOTR series until I was in college, myself.)

Anyway, I'd appreciate suggestions. This is just for fun reading on her part (not 'school' reading). Nothing is coming to mind for me & I thought I could count on you all for some new suggestions! Thanks! :001_smile:

Well, I was going to suggest Percy Jackson, but I guess she has rejected that. She's the first kid I know of not to like them! ;) (On the other hand, I didn't like Inkheart either!)

The Hobbit is definitely meant for younger kids than LOTR -- it's wonderful, but not the same challenge.

What about Madeleine L'Engle? (Wrinkle in Time, etc -- be careful, *some* of her books are for adults)

The Mysterious Benedict Society (there are now two books, I've only read one) is new-ish and lots of fun.

Consider "The Dark is Rising" series by Susan Cooper.

And you didn't mention Narnia -- has she read those already?

Oh, and The Tale of Despereaux!

Journey to the River Sea and The Star of Kazan - both by Eva Ibbotson

Ballet Shoes, Theater Shoes, etc - by Noel Streatfeild

The City of Ember and sequels by Jeanne DuPrau

Half Magic and sequels by Edward Eager

The Great Good Thing and Into the Labyrinth by Roderick Townley

The Enchanted Castle, The Story of the Treasure Seekers, The Railway Children etc. by E. Nesbit

Not suberb literature, but my dd11 has just devoured the Series of Unfortunate Events. In a month she has gotten through all 13 in the series! Some object to the content...dark humor, death/dying in each book, etc. We are very conservative about what we let dc read and I skimmed a few of the books...it wasn't horrible. Anyway, she might enjoy those.

How about Ben and Me by Lawson and really any other of his books are very good.

This is my genre!

A Little Princess

Anne of Green Gables

Heidi

Pollyanna

Little Women (might be one to wait a year or two as she may find it hard to relate to)

Trixie Belden series (if she likes mysteries, way better than Nancy Drew)

Rowan of Rin series (it's new and my nine year old son turned me on to it)

Igraine the Brave (I haven't read this by my son put it on my must read list)

Mr. Popper's Penguins

any Ramona book

Fudge series (Judy Blume)

Time Cat (another rec from my son)

The Mouse and the Motorcycle (and the rest of the series)

Charlotte's Web

Stuart Little

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Tuck Everlasting

Julie of the Wolves

Little House series

The Birchbark House (I like it better than Little House so far, I'm not finished with it yet, though)

Jo

re-reading Anne of the Island

spoiler

...and I cried real tears when Ruby Gillis died. I had forgotten about that and I'm still in shock! She wasn't even one of my favorites!

Try Donita K. Paul's Dragon books:

DragonSpell

Dragon Quest

There's another one too that I can't remember right now. These should be as easy or easier than the Redwall books. Terestria Chronicles might be of interest.

Geo