Menu

Which ones are the *bad* crockpots?

I know we've talked about this before. I am searching for the thread now but have not come up with anything.

If I remember correctly the issue was lead in the pot that gets inserted into the heating element???

ETA: You would not believe what comes up when you search tags by "crockpot.'

Edited by Liz CA

I know we've talked about this before. I am searching for the thread now but have not come up with anything.

If I remember correctly the issue was lead in the pot that gets inserted into the heating element???

ETA: You would not believe what comes up when you search tags by "crockpot.'

:bigear:

Unfortunately, I could... because I have. Time and again. Sigh. I don't think there *are* any crockpots that do not contain lead except those made out of non-stick materials (which you also don't want to ingest).... If you find one, please tell me.

I also need new towels that don't begin to unravel at a touch.... Apparently the whole world has changed the way towels are made by weaving the threads so loosely that they will pull out and turn to a raggy mush within about a month of buying them....

I don't think is is possible to know. There is some evidence that Rival crockpots may be problematic. Rival will only say they have never had an FDA recall, and will stone-wall any further discussion.

Hamilton Beach had once claimed to be "lead-free" but I think they dropped that claim and went into the same defensive crouch as Rival.

I used to use my Rival crockpot constantly. Since the issue surfaced I think I've used it twice (when circumstances necessitated a crockpot) and avoided it otherwise.

I hate not knowing the real risk assessment. I am not prone to alarmism but Rival's position offers me no reassurance.

Bill

I have a RIVAL too, and an old one. Our work schedules are such that the use of a crockpot would be the obvious choice. Due to some medical issues in my past, I am very careful what I eat and what materials I use for cooking.

Bummer. :glare:

I use a non-stick slow cooker.

This is the one I have. I LOVE it. I have 2 of them, actually and I use them often. I don't know about lead content and stuff, but I know that it is the BEST slow cooker/crockpot I have EVER used. And I've used quite a few over the years.

I have a RIVAL too, and an old one. Our work schedules are such that the use of a crockpot would be the obvious choice. Due to some medical issues in my past, I am very careful what I eat and what materials I use for cooking.

Bummer. :glare:

I honestly can tell you (or myself) what the rational decision is regarding these. Crockpots are brilliant as far as I'm concerned. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say we used it 4-5 times a week.

But Rival will reveal nothing. They refuse to give test results. They will not say they are lead free. They will not say how much measurable lead leech there might be. In someways I preferred blissful ignorance. But now that I'm aware of a potential risk I don't use the thing.

I sure wish I had a better understanding of the true level of risk. I miss the crockpot.

Bill

I sure wish I had a better understanding of the true level of risk. I miss the crockpot.

Bill

You know how to lean. Why not lean on some child group to do a study on lead levels of children who eat from crockpots. I mean, the clay or glaze can HAVE lead in it, but if it doesn't leech, well, then, have at it. It would be easier than doing some 40 year study on down-winders and cancer rates. Easy test.

I thought that the problems with lead showed up early on. So if I have used my crock pot about 4-5 times a month for the 14 yrs we've been married, wouldn't we know if there was a problem by now? In GA they tested for lead at the yearly physicals and my kids never had bad test results. And they wouldn't be testing in the 99% if the lead was causing brain damage, right? So surely crock pots are okay. I am a paranoid woman and don't want to give it up!!

Crockpots are born evil and there is nothing that can change that. :tongue_smilie:

Less evil than a starving family! :D

Jenny in Atl None are good, get a dutch oven.

I can't leave a dutch oven going all day! And there are days when I HAVE to do that. If it ain't on by 9, the family won't get fed!

I'm super paranoid too, but did a lot of research years ago. Here is what I learned:

Reasons that lead can be an issue with a slow cooker

1. The glaze is cracked and/or the pot is chipped.

Almost all clay used to make slow cookers crocks have lead. The glaze is fired at such a high temperature that it isn't really probable for the lead to leach out into the food, unless the glaze has hairline cracks or is chipped.

2. The crock glaze is colored.

A lot of the beautiful brilliant colors are enhanced with lead, even in dinnerware. To avoid this, buy white.

That's it. Those are the only 2 things you have to worry about. Or you can get a cast iron dutch oven. We have one of those, in addition to a slow cooker and it is awesome!