Menu

classical boxed curriculum?

mo2

I'm sure it's more expensive than Covenant Home, but Veritas Press has started selling lesson plans to go with the curriculum they use and recommend. If you go to www.veritaspress.com and look at their Scholars program you might be able to get an idea for the plans and materials. It's certainly classical.

Jami

Yes, of course, Jami. Veritas's new lesson plans certainly would be a good choice.

We tried Veritas this year without the scholars program, so, I thought I would throw in my two cents here. :D Veritas moves very slow. 2nd grade only covers Old Testament and Ancient Egypt (No other countries like China for example). 3rd grade only covers Greece and Rome etc. It also does not follow the classical schedule in TWTM. If you follow their curriculum, you'll only go through history twice instead of 3 times. I really thought we'd love it, but we were so bored. We got so tired of Egypt, it was something I never thought of when we decided to give it a try. I have shelved it and we're doing a unit study on the Middle Ages.

There is a Yahoo group that discusses all this and a lot of them have tried the scholars program this year (it's new this year). Maybe ask them what they think.

Good Luck!

Dorinda

PS I'm thinking of Sonlight for next year. :o

someone posted a link to this a few days ago, I was very intrigued, it looked well done. Here is the link below

we are doing TOG, I kind of like doing my own thing in some areas, so I don't think Easy classical would work for me, but if I had found it at the beginning, it might have been good...

Easy Classical

• 2 months later...

Actually Veritas covers the cycles 3 times also. Their 1rst history level is 5 years (Grammar stage 2nd-6th). Then, Omnibus 1-3 (logic stage 7th-9th) and Omnibus 4-6 (still being written for rhetoric stage 9th-12th).

It's funny when threads get revived. I was looking at Sonlight, but my daughter, being the hands-on learner that she is, LOVES Konos (not a boxed curriculum). So we're doing that and adding our own classical spin to it. But, Winter's Promise is another one I seriously considered. I really liked the books and the activities involved, but since Konos was what was loaned to us and it works fine, we're sticking with that.

Actually Veritas covers the cycles 3 times also. Their 1rst history level is 5 years (Grammar stage 2nd-6th). Then, Omnibus 1-3 (logic stage 7th-9th) and Omnibus 4-6 (still being written for rhetoric stage 9th-12th).

I guess the reason why I don't consider them matching TWTM, is they don't have the Omnibus 4-6 done. I also think it's hard to start a program not knowing when it's going to end. Maybe I just need to "think outside the box." Yes, my bad joke pun was intended:001_rolleyes:

Blessings!

I know it's not 100% classical...but it's close. And it's not 100% "in a box"...but most of it is. We have used K12 for YEARS (http://www.k12.com) and I absolutely LOVE it. It's not for everyone, but it has worked well for us. If you're studying Ancient Greece in History, you're reading about Greek literature in the Literature lessons, Greek art in the Art lessons, etc. It is very well-rounded, but it's intense. I especially loved their History lessons when my children were in K and 1st grades.....they were PERFECT. I found that having the lesson, and then finding a book to compliment the lesson caused them to retain so much more than just reading a book. Their K & 1st grade lessons are very "story" oriented, so I think that is why they retained so much -- they remembered the story. If you are following SOTW or TOG, it is easy to combine their lessons along with the weekly readings from SOTW or TOG. We are using TOG along with World History A this year. It is working beautifully together. We really like having the TOG book list, as well as the Human Odyssey book to read from. It's a great fit for us.

Happy Homeschooling!! :001_smile: