Menu

Planner Psychosis

DragonFaerie

I absolutely LOVE planners! I am an organizing, scheduling junkie! The problem is that I really like doing my planning on the computer. I have some great spreadsheets and a system in place that really works. BUT, I don't have one of those pretty notebook planners that I can hold in my hands and admire and SEE everything I've planned. Anyone else a techie who's jealous of the written planner types? Any creative solutions to satisfying my physical planner fix while still implementing my e-planners?

I know how you feel! I haven't done it yet so you may want to wait for more experienced members. However, because I also like the look of printed planners I downloaded some pretty clip art from the web and used it as a front cover. Then I got some clip art turned into "watermarks", which I can either include in the document as a background or print on blank paper and use this paper to print my reports (or excel sheets if that is what you are using). I put everything in a two ring binder, but you could use a 3 or 4 ring binder which are closer to what something like a printer planner looks like.

I hope I am making sense here.

Because my printer is a basic one and colour cartridges are terribly expensive and don't last very long either, I take the fancier, more colourful stuff to the stationary shop and have it printed there.

I am kind of like that too, but the techie/geeky side of me overrules, and I'm using HST+. I print out a week at a time and happily admire it. :D Those pretty boxes to check off! Swoon! :lol:

Then I put my physical planning energy into making notebooks for DS and spiral binding them. ;)

Because we are making up our own meshed curriculum for next year, to stop overload, I am concentrating on Scheduling and fixing up one subject at a time. History for me was easy, so it was all done on the computer. Now I am upto Science, this is a little harder for me to mesh, so I printed out all the seperate resources, devided it by weeks, and printed out the 36 week planner from TOS planner blank, and am handwriting each bit in, once I have finished I will type it up neatly and make it all pretty on the computer LOL.

So I sort of do a mixture of both.

My handwriting can get terrible though, so its nice in the end to have a uniformed legible script to scan through :D

I'm absolutely the same way. I cannot tell you how many Franklin-Covey planners, cheap supply store planners, and homemade planners have gone to the wayside because of this. And it's not just with homeschool. My computer and smart phone are glued to me and as much as I want to be a pen and paper writer, I just can't seems to stick with it.

I also have a collection of once or twice used really nice journals scattered throughout the house. :/

I know how you feel! I haven't done it yet so you may want to wait for more experienced members. However, because I also like the look of printed planners I downloaded some pretty clip art from the web and used it as a front cover. Then I got some clip art turned into "watermarks", which I can either include in the document as a background or print on blank paper and use this paper to print my reports (or excel sheets if that is what you are using). I put everything in a two ring binder, but you could use a 3 or 4 ring binder which are closer to what something like a printer planner looks like.

I hope I am making sense here.

Because my printer is a basic one and colour cartridges are terribly expensive and don't last very long either, I take the fancier, more colourful stuff to the stationary shop and have it printed there.

Watermarks!!! Great idea!

Awwww... yay!!! You are all so wonderful! It's nice to know I'm not alone in my disease. hehehe

Right now I'm leaning toward printing out all of the pretty forms from the computer and putting them into a binder (not too big at first; who wants a huge 3" binder with five pieces of paper in it! LOL) in kind of a self-made planner.

I'm also satisfying my planner fix by having my kids use them this year instead of the week-at-a-time printed page from last year. It will actually be good for them as they can see what's coming up in the year (holidays, days off, etc) as well as planning for school projects and such. And I get my planner fix by writing their weekly assignments in them. :D

I know exactly how you feel, that's why I got the Circa. Now I can have my HST+ and pretty notebook, too.

I've been recommending the Circa alot lately, but if your psychosis is anything like mine, the peace of mind I get from using it as part of my planning system is well worth the initial cost.

I know exactly how you feel, that's why I got the Circa. Now I can have my HST+ and pretty notebook, too.

I've been recommending the Circa alot lately, but if your psychosis is anything like mine, the peace of mind I get from using it as part of my planning system is well worth the initial cost.

What is Circa?

I absolutely LOVE planners! I am an organizing, scheduling junkie! The problem is that I really like doing my planning on the computer. I have some great spreadsheets and a system in place that really works. BUT, I don't have one of those pretty notebook planners that I can hold in my hands and admire and SEE everything I've planned. Anyone else a techie who's jealous of the written planner types? Any creative solutions to satisfying my physical planner fix while still implementing my e-planners?

How interested are you in letting me take a peek at your spreadsheets and your system? I'm revamping this year, and gathering ideas. :D

Well, my final solution was a lot of printing. I set up all my schedules and such on the computer and then I printed it all out and put them in my binder, all organized with dividers and everything. I'll use the binder to look up information, keep up with our scheduled lessons and even to write books read, mark attendance days and keep grades. However, I will transfer my written information to the computer periodically so I can make report cards (are my kids the only ones who LIKE getting a "report card"?). On a weekly basis, I'll plan the schedule on the computer but then write it into each kid's planner, though I'll probably print the master copy each week to put into the binder as a record for me. Crazy, I know, but I think it will satisfy both halves of me. :D

Well, my final solution was a lot of printing. I set up all my schedules and such on the computer and then I printed it all out and put them in my binder, all organized with dividers and everything. I'll use the binder to look up information, keep up with our scheduled lessons and even to write books read, mark attendance days and keep grades. However, I will transfer my written information to the computer periodically so I can make report cards (are my kids the only ones who LIKE getting a "report card"?). On a weekly basis, I'll plan the schedule on the computer but then write it into each kid's planner, though I'll probably print the master copy each week to put into the binder as a record for me. Crazy, I know, but I think it will satisfy both halves of me. :D

My daughter has recently asked that I grade all of her work and give her a letter grade. (She likes to see A+ on the top of her paper!!!)

I am using EduTrack. I love the printed reports. I will get 2 notebooks, one for me and one for ds. I can print our pages a week or two at a time and add them to the book. I use my Google calendar. It automatically links to the calendar on my Android phone. I live it! I can add something on the go or sit at the computer. I get reminder emails and alarms on my phone!

PICK ME, PICK ME!!! ;)

Really, lol, I know the answer...

Here's a sample week from ds' planner last year:

184787_10150113420660878_688000877_6628024_4140117_n.jpg

I make them in Word. (If anyone wants the blank templates, PM me with your email address and I'll forward them to you... If my PM box gets full, lol, try again later and I'll make sure to clean it out.)

Couple of ways to handle making this into a beautiful *paper* planner.

Schedule the entire year, week-by-week, make a cover for the first page, and send the document to FedEx Office (formerly Kinkos) and have them print and bind it for you. I've done this with spiral-binding and a clear plastic front cover, so the kids then color the page underneath as they like. ... Or, instead of FedEx, use Lulu.com for more options including perfect-binding (like a standard paperback). Personally, I use Lulu for things like memory work that I want to save as a book, but I find spiral-binding works well for planners that need to lie flat.

Alternately, schedule a few weeks at a time and keep the pages in a notebook where you can add and remove pages as you go. I find this especially important with scheduling younger ones where they're working on *skill* more than *content* and leaps and lags in progress require you to be a bit more flexible. You can simply use a plain old 3-ring binder and try to find one that feels more book-like or a 6-ring binder (and you'll need to purchase a 6-hole-punch)... Or you can get really fancy and use Circa products from Levenger. These are just gorgeous, and they have some *really* nice covers that feel so elegant to use. ... But I do find that after being turned day-after-day, the paper around the punches begins to degrade a bit. (You could, of course, laminate every sheet and *then* use a Circa punch -- but that's several layers of tools and complexity. And you'd have to use a sharpie to add any additional notes to the pages through the year.)

My plan this year is, once again, to print out the entire year's schedule for my 8th grader and have it spiral bound before the year begins. As you see in my planner, there's ample space for writing in assignments for homework from outside classes or listing field trips, service opportunities, etc.

My 4th/5th grader is harder... I may continue to print hers a few weeks at a time, since there are things I may add in later in the year.

I am a planning/scheduling junkie, but I also love my laminator, pro-click and comb binders, so I go wild this time of year :) This is my 2010-2011 laminated schedule and individual planners...

post-9601-13535085088632_thumb.jpg

post-9601-13535085088632_thumb.jpg

Schedule the entire year, week-by-week, make a cover for the first page, and send the document to FedEx Office (formerly Kinkos) and have them print and bind it for you. I've done this with spiral-binding and a clear plastic front cover, so the kids then color the page underneath as they like. ... Or, instead of FedEx, use Lulu.com for more options including perfect-binding (like a standard paperback). Personally, I use Lulu for things like memory work that I want to save as a book, but I find spiral-binding works well for planners that need to lie flat.

Alternately, schedule a few weeks at a time and keep the pages in a notebook where you can add and remove pages as you go. I find this especially important with scheduling younger ones where they're working on *skill* more than *content* and leaps and lags in progress require you to be a bit more flexible. You can simply use a plain old 3-ring binder and try to find one that feels more book-like or a 6-ring binder (and you'll need to purchase a 6-hole-punch)... Or you can get really fancy and use Circa products from Levenger. These are just gorgeous, and they have some *really* nice covers that feel so elegant to use. ... But I do find that after being turned day-after-day, the paper around the punches begins to degrade a bit. (You could, of course, laminate every sheet and *then* use a Circa punch -- but that's several layers of tools and complexity. And you'd have to use a sharpie to add any additional notes to the pages through the year.)

My plan this year is, once again, to print out the entire year's schedule for my 8th grader and have it spiral bound before the year begins. As you see in my planner, there's ample space for writing in assignments for homework from outside classes or listing field trips, service opportunities, etc.

My 4th/5th grader is harder... I may continue to print hers a few weeks at a time, since there are things I may add in later in the year.

My kids are still young and our scheduled lessons often get moved around, especially if they get behind and/or struggle with something. Because of this, I can't plan the full year in advance. I wouldn't be able to stand it for my lovely planner to get all messed up with scratched out assignments and White Out.

Edited by DragonFaerie

PICK ME, PICK ME!!! ;)

Really, lol, I know the answer...

But I do find that after being turned day-after-day, the paper around the punches begins to degrade a bit. (You could, of course, laminate every sheet and *then* use a Circa punch -- but that's several layers of tools and complexity. And you'd have to use a sharpie to add any additional notes to the pages through the year.)

I'm PMing you!!! :D

Don't forget that you can also use reinforcement labels around your holes.

My kids are still young and our scheduled lessons often get moved around, especially if they get behind and/or struggle with something. Because of this, I can't plan the full year in advance. I wouldn't be able to stand it for my lovely planner to get all messed up with scratched out assignments and White Out.

Yeah, when my kids were younger, it was a challenge to plan 6 weeks in advance. By logic-stage, I find it's much more possible to plan the whole year. I've also gotten better at predicting the times of year when I can pile on more work and when I need to back down significantly and when I need to plan breaks so we don't all end up as puddles on the floor. ;)

oh my gosh, I want copies of all ya'll's files - NOW :lol: - I also want info on ipad apps (just got an ipad) along with OneNote and how you use it - and those pictures posted in this thread? Yeah, I've totally got the shakes now and am jonesing for a planner fix!

Evil WTM pushers :w00t:

Yeah, when my kids were younger, it was a challenge to plan 6 weeks in advance. By logic-stage, I find it's much more possible to plan the whole year. I've also gotten better at predicting the times of year when I can pile on more work and when I need to back down significantly and when I need to plan breaks so we don't all end up as puddles on the floor. ;)

How right you are. I'm barely starting out but I can tell i don't know how long it takes to teach something and for ds to learn something. Personally I hate to "spoil" a pretty planner. I am using Donna Young's basic excel planner (I would like to buy her V Planner). So if and when I make changes I will simply print out the updated version and keep that as a record as things "done".

Well, as far as OneNote goes, you can have a "notebook" set up in OneNote. In a notebook, I have sections (which are my terms) and within each section, I have the individual weeks. You probably need to have OneNote to understand how it looks. I am finding it difficult to explain.

I made a template in Microsoft Word with tables and such for my weekly layout (Mon-Fri at the top, subjects down the sides) and made it a page template in OneNote, I also have a page template for my ToG weeks, to make it easier for me to plan that. Now on each "new" page I make it uses the template. I then type in the plans for the weeks that I am planning for on my weekly pages.

I prefer to do the detail planning on my computer so I can move things around until it is the way I want it and then I transfer it by hand to my WPD planner :) That's a level of psychosis that you don't need though hehe You can just print out the pages directly from OneNote and put them into a binder or whatever.

Oh, also! I have another "notebook" that I use for more long term planning or just things I want to keep in mind for the future.

I have a rough outline of History plans, book lists, websites and ideas.

Things that I want to be sure I look at for use later in higher grades that we're not ready for right now.

I also keep copies of my homeschool regulations and the template for my LOI and IHIP documents that I will need to use for reporting purposes.

Our school calendars and the outline of when I'd like to take vacations and such.

Just anything that has to do with planning or lists I need for school or any subject and I have them in their own sections like: Writing, Grammar, Math, History, general school information.

I even have notebooks for recipes. I LOVE OneNote, it is very versatile. I can pop up an "unfiled notes" sticky on my computer easily and put information there and file it away in my "notebooks" later on. Although, usually my OneNote is always open and I just put it where it goes most of the time.

How right you are. I'm barely starting out but I can tell i don't know how long it takes to teach something and for ds to learn something. Personally I hate to "spoil" a pretty planner. I am using Donna Young's basic excel planner (I would like to buy her V Planner). So if and when I make changes I will simply print out the updated version and keep that as a record as things "done".

That's what I'm doing, too.

My dh bought me an iPad so I can use my Simply Charlotte Mason Organizer in one touch. I love it. I like the yellow pad for notes too, but I am looking for an app that keeps lists. I will look into OneNote. The iPad is more visual than I had expected. With the touch system, I am able to manipulate it with ease.

http://simplycharlottemason.com/

Janell

My dh bought me an iPad so I can use my Simply Charlotte Mason Organizer in one touch. I love it. I like the yellow pad for notes too, but I am looking for an app that keeps lists. I will look into OneNote. The iPad is more visual than I had expected. With the touch system, I am able to manipulate it with ease.

http://simplycharlottemason.com/

Janell

I have never looked at this but, I am now sitting here watching the videos on my iPad and really liking the way it looks - it seems so expensive though...

Thought I would add my current planning system into the mix. It's definitely not complex, but I needed something that would give me a winder scope than just week-by-week and yet wouldn't be a bear to keep up with. While I *adore* the idea of a pen and paper planner and have tried numerous times to keep on, I simply cannot get past my love of the word processor. LOL Here are some samples that can also be found on my blog...

This is the weekly component, page one. Attached to the bottom, underneath the chart are my lesson notes for each subject for the week. If I need something more in depth, I usually just create a new file and link to it from my planner so I don't have to go hunting through my Home School Folder (you can see I've done this for the general subject of Science).

5894360734_ce0af2015a_z.jpg

5893793671_07da054bc9_z.jpg

This is the monthly overview...

5894363154_e03c7111ba_z.jpg

This is our yearly overview... (ETA: The color coding is for the seasons because my frazzled brain just can't remember when they start and stop LOL)

5893797939_e191d36aa7_z.jpg

Edited by Endorphins

Thought I would add my current planning system into the mix. It's definitely not complex, but I needed something that would give me a winder scope than just week-by-week and yet wouldn't be a bear to keep up with. While I *adore* the idea of a pen and paper planner and have tried numerous times to keep on, I simply cannot get past my love of the word processor. LOL Here are some samples that can also be found on my blog...

What program did you use to create your planner pages? Excel? Word? They are lovely! The type-a in me is sooooooooo loving this!