Menu

13 year old homeschooled girl heading to college

"She is a blessing from God," Ashante said. "All the things we've gotten to do together have been a blessing."

Genius or no, I think this is the most important part of any homeschool. (And I don't know why it's underlining and won't erase it!!!)

She sounds like a very cool kid.

I was puzzled by the comment about it being "groundbreaking," though. I participate on an e-mail list for parents who have kids starting college under the age of 14. There are plenty of us.

And many who could but for their own reasons, opt out and teach college level courses at home for years accumulating credits through online courses, teaching AP at home and having their young person take the exams and earning CLEP as well. We do all three and have for quite some time. The fact of the matter is that many of us home school are flying under the radar in order to radically accelerate without having to listen to Joe next door dispense his words of wisdom. Truly unless you have walked a mile you cannot imagine the surreal experience of having a child self teach calculus who cannot tie their shoes. The last thing most parents of gifteds that I know, is to play the who can get notices in the newspaper game. The level of animus and disdain that exists in the general community is breathtaking. There are legitimate reasons for saying yes to outing oneself but none of those apply to our family today. Those circumstances might change and likely will but not for today. I am delighted for the young lady in the article and wish her success in all areas of her life.

She sounds like a very cool kid.

I was puzzled by the comment about it being "groundbreaking," though. I participate on an e-mail list for parents who have kids starting college under the age of 14. There are plenty of us.

That is fantastic! I actually *hope* that my kids could achieve this. It would be a huge head start on their lives.

Congrats to your daughter.

• 1 month later...
Did she take an exit exam for HS? how did she get her HS diploma? what did she do in order to get into College? I'm currently trying to do research for my son & I have no Idea where to begin. :confused:

Go to the college you're interested in and ask them what they need from him.