Menu

Where is my red pen?? Somebody stop me!

My DH is dyslexic. His spelling is appalling, and even a spell-checker doesn't help (in fact, it often makes things worse). He speaks beautifully and is highly intelligent, but writing costs him enormous effort. He achieved a masters degree and doctorate in bio-chemistry from Oxford University, later doing an MBA. He is now a company director earning a good six figure salary. He still can't write anywhere near as well as the boy who wrote that flyer.

Cassy

:grouphug: I understand. One of mine is highly intelligent, talented, articulate, and all around gifted & lovely. I don't say that lightly.

However, the child is dysgraphic and dyslexic. It's heartbreaking to hear people be so petty at such a lovely effort. You simply can't toss an eager young person so easily into the garbage bin without karma eventually kicking you in the arse. Not every kid is going to have his/her mommy handle every idea they have.

Learning disabilities are real, and they are not so easily managed, even when they are 'managed'/tutored.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you'll find judgements is spelled correctly this way. You left out the e. Very important letter. Unless you're from another country where this spelling is common.

Judgment is the way it is normally spelled in the US. Adding an extra e is an extremely common mistake.

Okay, so judgment is the UK spelling. Makes sense that I would have never heard of it. Being I'm an American and all.

It is actually an accepted spelling in the U.S. as well.

Look, I really don't want to argue about this. As I said in another post, it is a pet peeve of mine that writing skills have really gone downhill in recent years. Everyone who has a job will have to communicate in writing at some point. Why would a person not want to write to the best of his or her ability?

The sentence in my post is NOT a fragment. However, I did make a typo by not using the word "does" instead of "do". The subject of the sentence is a gerund phrase starting with the word "writing." The verb should have been "does."

I agree. Also you should have left off the word that.

See how this can go round and round?

I'm sure you're a great teacher. Doctors aren't perfect, teachers aren't perfect. No human is perfect.

Guest Dulcimeramy

This is the thread that never ends....

mmasmommy, thank you for clarifying and apologizing. I, for one, believe that you have more than paid for your OP and I hope this thread will be dead by morning.

:grouphug: We've all had threads that go like this. This was just your day. You threatened to go back into obscurity and I sure hope you won't.

:grouphug: I understand. One of mine is highly intelligent, talented, articulate, and all around gifted & lovely. I don't say that lightly.

However, the child is dysgraphic and dyslexic. It's heartbreaking to hear people be so petty at such a lovely effort. You simply can't toss an eager young person so easily into the garbage bin without karma eventually kicking you in the arse. Not every kid is going to have his/her mommy handle every idea they have.

Learning disabilities are real, and they are not so easily managed, even when they are 'managed'/tutored.

My daughter has Dysgraphia. I've also had a number of very intelligent students who were dyslexic as well. I do not think that writing well means that a person is intelligent. Writing is a skill that, for most, can be learned with practice.

judgementsplural of judg·ment (Noun)

1. The ability to make considered decisions or come to sensible conclusions.

2. An opinion or conclusion. More »

Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

I've learned it this way. :confused:

I am typing from my phone, so cannot easily link. If you look at dictionary.com or any of those sites, then you will notice they offer "judgement" as an alternative spelling because dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive. You will also notice that they use the correct spelling, "judgment" in all of their examples. It is sort of like "irregardless" being added to the dictionary even though it is not a "real" word.

I am typing from my phone, so cannot easily link. If you look at dictionary.com or any of those sites, then you will notice they offer "judgement" as an alternative spelling because dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive. You will also notice that they use the correct spelling, "judgment" in all of their examples. It is sort of like "irregardless" being added to the dictionary even though it is not a "real" word.

Thanks for this info! I had no idea. I really should buy an updated dictionary. Of all the books I buy, that one stays the same. :tongue_smilie:

My daughter has Dysgraphia. I've also had a number of very intelligent students who were dyslexic as well. I do not think that writing well means that a person is intelligent. Writing is a skill that, for most, can be learned with practice.[/QUOTE]

Some people, no matter their practice/tutoring/hard work, will never be able to write without an editor anymore than a person with CP could ever move without some issue. It's one of those disabilities that never goes away. Sometimes a person can mask/fake it, but the disability itself never ceases to exist. A person with a learning disability isn't always going to be in a situation where they can have someone edit.

A little kindness would go a long way.

Plenty of homeschooled kids have learning issues. Many kids are homeschooled because they do have issues. Homeschooling doesn't 'fix' the brain.

Edited by LibraryLover

My daughter has Dysgraphia. I've also had a number of very intelligent students who were dyslexic as well. I do not think that writing well means that a person is intelligent. Writing is a skill that, for most, can be learned with practice.[/QUOTE]

Some people, no matter their practice/tutoring/hard work, will never be able to write without an editor anymore than a person with CP could ever move without some issue. It's one of those disabilities that never goes away. Sometimes a person can mask/fake it, but the disability itself never ceases to exist. A person with a learning disability isn't always going to be in a situation where they can have someone edit.

A little kindness would go a long way.

Plenty of homeschooled kids have learning issues. Many kids are homeschooled because they do have issues. Homeschooling doesn't 'fix' the brain.

That is why I pointed out that my own daughter has dysgraphia. I also included the words, "for most," in that last sentence. I've taught many students with learning disabilities and did not mean my post to be unkind at all.

Ironically, that is one of the most common errors I've seen throughout this thread.

I am a comma person. I, love, commas. (Notice I did not type comma's; no kittens are dead.) I am pretty sure I once started a vodka-vacation induced thread on the topic, even. ;) Vodka was involved, so, I'm, not, sure.

Edited by LibraryLover

:iagree: I'm beginning to second guess every sentence that I write. Clearly, typing on a message board at this time of night is not good for my grammar!:001_smile:

I am typing from an iPhone! The only thing worse than its impossible keyboard is the autocorrect! I had to go back and change its back to it's after the phone changed it to it's! Ugh! It's making me paranoid!

I am typing from an iPhone! The only thing worse than its impossible keyboard is the autocorrect! I had to go back and change its back to it's after the phone changed it to it's! Ugh! It's making me paranoid!

Autocorrect is the bane of my existence. What is up with that? Simple typos are turned into epic insanity.

PS Yanno. I didn't see on my iPhone that this thread was a zillion pages long. I tend to try and avoid these (try being relative). I had no idea I was wading into dark waters. Sheet. (Which is not autocorrect for the real S-H word. Dammit! )

Edited by LibraryLover

Autocorrect is the bane of my existence. What is up with that? Simple typos are turned into epic insanity.

PS Yanno. I didn't see on my iPhone that this thread was a zillion pages long. I tend to try and avoid these (try being relative). I had no idea I was wading into dark waters. Sheet. (Which is not autocorrect for the real S-H word. Dammit! )

See? I still managed to screw up one of the its/it's because of auto-correct!

I can almost always tell when friends are emailing me from their iPhone. :lol:

One day my dh texted me a question. I made a typo while answering him with the word "correct." The phone changed it to fleecy! What the heck!? That's not even close!!

See? I still managed to screw up one of the its/it's because of auto-correct!

One day my dh texted me a question. I made a typo while answering him with the word "correct." The phone changed it to fleecy! What the heck!? That's not even close!!

My friend's droid "corrects" her response "okey dokey" to "plethora donkey". She's given up and just types that now. It's our secret code.

I got one from my husband one morning that said "Surgery in the back of the van." :001_huh: Evidently, his auto-correct doesn't recognize "serger".

If Noah Webster declared the "e" in judgment unnecessary, why did he ignore "engagement" and "arrangement"? Maybe he died without finishing his work?

I hate typos and poor grammar, too. But in this case, I suggest you take your red pen and write this young man a note complementing him on taking initiative to earn some money. So many young ones these days live a life of selfish entitlement, I like to encourage and entrepreneurial spirit.

:iagree:

Oh my. :confused: I don't think I ever implied that I expected anyone to be perfect. I am beyond upset at the thought of my posts being taken that way.

Don't worry, you didn't. If people are determined to read things into posts that don't exist then there's not much you can do about it.

Well, I've been a high school English teacher and currently teach middle school English and social studies. I would have graded it as a solid C. Some of the mistakes that he made, such as not using a comma to separate two independent clauses, are elementary level mistakes. While many here would think I was being overly picky, grammar is, by its very nature, a subject in which there are clear right and wrong answers. I don't think most people would fault a math teacher for demanding that all problems be written correctly. If the student fails to do so, the answer to the math problem will be incorrect.

It is one of my pet peeves that we have become so lax about learning to write correctly and use basic grammar well. Writing concise and easily read notes, emails and papers do reflect on how well educated that a person seems.

I was in advanced English classes all through school, including both honors and GT. My senior year, I took AP English. Despite *all* of that, I did not learn about comma splices until college. And since then? I have not met a single person who actually knows that rule, including the English teachers with whom I taught.

Now, I'm *not* saying this is ok, but I am saying that for someone familiar with the quality of writing that is usually turned out for high school students (& I've taught 9-12 grades, average-IB), I'm surprised that you would rate this flyer so badly.