Menu

Can you plz list anything from Netflix that you've loved for learning purposes?

I am not really using my Netflix because their search function stinks! I want to fill up our queue this summer with lots of History Channel or cool science type things, documentaries, etc.-really anything that could be considered educational. My dc are 11 and 8 and I really want to stretch them in this way and spark some different fields of interest-we don't have cable and I think they'd enjoy some engaging educational dvds.

If there is already a thread on this, could you please link me? I've seen some of the "chronological history" Netflix threads, but nothing just in general. Thanks!

xpost

Liberty's Kids

Ken Burns's The Civil War (we just watched a couple of parts, I think the one about Gettysburg was one)

David McCauley Castle and Cathedral (we have the books too)

The Revolution (13 part History Channel program with Kelsey Grammer)

I think there were a few programs on Rome.

Try browsing under documentaries, subheading historical documentaries. They have tons of stuff, I tend to stick to PBS, BBC or some History Channel things.

Hope this helps.

Over the last year or so, we've watched (several of these are series):

Colosseum

Pompeii Last Day

Globetrekker (the only one that's been inappropriate was Great Festivals, and I don't know if that's streaming)

Story of India

Africa

People of the Wind

Beyond the Movie: Alexander the Great

Mythbusters

Crucible of Civilization (the Greeks)

Michael Palin's New Europe

Atlas: Uncovering Earth

In search of myths and heroes

National Geographic: Inside Mecca

The Secret of Kells

Secrets of Jerusalem's Holiest Sites

Secret Yellowstone

Wild China: Land of the Panda

Bizarre Foods

Dolphins: Imax

Mad Hot Ballroom

Nefertiti and the Lost Dynasty

Walking with Dinosaurs

Walking with Prehistoric Beasts

The Gods Must Be Crazy

Helen of Troy

The Alps: IMAX

Hamlet

Rudy Maxa's World

A Man, A Plan, A Canal: Panama

Viva Cuba

Ancient Egyptians

Hittites: the civilization that changed the world

The First Merchants

Ancient Egyptians

The origins of civilization

Planet Earth

National Geographic: Birth of Civilization

Prehistoric America

Not on instant watch, but this one was fantastic for us. It gives a really good picture of the Mayflower journey, and what they did before and after. Really good.

One of the following Lewis and Clark documentaries. I can't remember which one we watched (they are both saved in my queue, so I can't tell). Anyway, it was good. Maybe check them both out.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/National_Geographic_Lewis_and_Clark_Great_Journey_West/60036840?trkid=2361637

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Lewis_and_Clark_The_Journey_of_the_Corps_of_Discovery/70037260?trkid=2361637

My DS5 likes the "Cat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That" (there are a few). He also likes the LeapFrog stuff.

We watch a lot of Nova and Nova Science Now. Yesterday we watched a cool Nova show called "The Pluto Files", about Pluto no longer being called a planet. Also my son and his friend enjoyed "Making Stuff", which is also from PBS.

There are also a lot of National Geographic documentaries on there. Mythbusters is educational. Also, Dirty Jobs.

What ages are your kids?

Wendi