Menu

Help! Would you eat this?

I just took a few blocks of lowfat cheddar from my fridge. They have dry white specks all over them. It doesn't look like mold--it's not fuzzy or slimy or slippery. It's dry and firm, and is easily scraped off. It tastes salty, so I suspect it's some of the liquid from the cheese that may have sweated off during transport, then dried. The cheese tastes fine. I was going to use it for baked mac and cheese.

Would you eat it? TIA!

I would not, but that's just me. I had an allergic reaction to PCN when I was a babe. All my medical paperwork had a big red PCN thingy. I never thought anything of it until I ate a piece of cheese that had spots on it. I itched for about a week. I broke out in a rash all over my belly. It was ridiculous! So, even though I could survive on cheese alone, I personally would not eat it.

I would not eat it, but I usually say that on these threads, even when everyone else is saying that they would. In fact, if I had just opened the wrapper and it was not past the 'use by' date, I would take it back to the market and ask for an exchange. I've done it before when I thought milk smelled off.

My mom just whacks the mold right off of cheese and uses the rest. I just can't do it.

I used to work in a deli and we bought cheese in 40# blocks and then cut it into 1#, 2# etc sizes. It always had mold and whitish spots. We just trimmed them off and cut the cheese. That is very normal. I would guess it comes from condensation where the cheese touches the wrapper.

Thanks everyone! We ate it--so far, so good :lol: It was all the cheese I had! It wasn't raw, but those low-fat cheddars always have a slightly odd consistency, and they seem to sweat more than the regular cheddar. Or maybe they just don't reabsorb the liquid as well? I don't know.

Yeah the little white specks are okay. I find it hilarious that you ate it, though. I usually make my husband smell or taste it. He has an iron stomach.

Barb

Well, at that point it was either me or the kids, and I didn't think it was right to make them try it :lol: Besides, I'm super sensitive to off taste or smell in things, so I figured if it tasted OK to me, it probably was. DH has an iron stomach, but the man will also eat anything no matter how it tastes, so he's not much help!