Menu

Legoland California

yvonne

Oh my gosh, summertime at Legoland could be awful. Good luck!

I'd recommend bringing trash bags, swimsuits, or rain ponchos for the "pirate splash" area. You can also save a bit of money if you buy a travel coffee mug first thing in the morning at the coffee shop by the entrance. You get free refills of coffee and tea all day. So if you share with your husband, and make ice tea or something, then that ends up being a good deal.

I'm not a big meat eater, but the BBQ place is not to be missed! If you buy one of the most expensive platters, it will feed at least one adult and three kids. So for our family of four we bought 1 big platter, 1 kid’s meal, and then of course our free refill of ice tea. That was plenty of food.

Oh my gosh, summertime at Legoland could be awful. Good luck!

Yeah, I know. It's in the 90's up here in the SF Bay Area; I'm dreading the heat in southern CA. But... it may be now or never at our rate. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you for the rec. for the BBQ place. I'll add it to the list. And for the tip on what to take and getting the refillable drink first thing.

Other suggestions?

First off-I LOVE Legoland. As a parent, I think it's better than Disney because it's smaller, easier to navigate, and has more to really DO.

Here are some tips:

-The food is decent but VERY expensive-more so than other parks like this IMO. So if that's a big deal, pack a lunch in a cooler and then just get your hand stamped and go to your car to eat.

-I think they close at 5pm? They used to but maybe not in the summer. Anyway, it's definitely a full day park so get there early when they open.

-they have a water park so decide ahead of time if you want them to get wet and pack accordingly. If not, avoid that area entirely. ;)

-the 3D shows are a nice break from the heat but they can fill fast so go early if you want to attend a certain one.

-one smart thing they have is a play area (legos, of course) in some of the waiting areas for rides. The parents can stand in line and the kids can play in a central area-wonderful idea! Save these for the end of the day when patience is shorter.

there are lots of photo ops-be sure your battery is charged :)

Have fun!

Edited by Ann in IA

My 8yo is on the short side and couldn't ride very many rides alone or with dd10. It was frustrating. So if your dd will care about something like that, you might check the height requirements so that you are prepared.

We went during spring break this year it the kids loved it. You can get in the gate before the park opens so that you are waiting at the rope when the park opens. Then we went towards the back of the park and rode some rides without lines. I would suggest the cars (if your dc want to do that) because those lines were the worst at the end of the day - even more so than the roller coasters.

I had also heard that the food was good, and then I was disappointed, but my expectations could have been too high.

Have fun.

Yeah, I know. It's in the 90's up here in the SF Bay Area; I'm dreading the heat in southern CA. But... it may be now or never at our rate. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you for the rec. for the BBQ place. I'll add it to the list. And for the tip on what to take and getting the refillable drink first thing.

Other suggestions?

The weather is not bad in Carlsbad at the moment.

It is only been in the mid 70s here this week, not bad at all, and I went to Legoland two weeks ago on a weekend, and lines weren't bad either (we are pass holders). It might be in the 80s at most right now up there as it is a tad hotter up there.

They have the waterpark area that is a separate cost, and also a water area inside the main park that comes with regular admission. If your kids are not totally avid waterpark fans, the smaller area in the main park may do fine with no added cost.

There is also an attached aquarium that is also a price in addition to the regular ticket usually. My kids liked it okay, but it wasn't their huge favorite.

Our favorite food in the park is near the little race cars as it has a salad bar and doesn't make my stomach hurt after eating there. :tongue_smilie:

No idea on lodging since we live pretty close.

The bigger/faster rides have the longest lines, especially the big roller coaster. My advice if you want to do those is get there when it opens and dash for that first when the lines are nil.

Hi,

It looks like we're finally going to take our Lego fanatic children to Legoland this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations for nearby lodging?

Any other tips for a visit to Legoland?

Thanks so much!

yvonne

What is your budget? There's a Sheraton within 1/2 mile and another hotel (connected to Legoland) within walking distance. The weather is good. We haven't had the typical heavy June gloom. Mornings are usually overcast but the sun has come out by lunchtime; mid 70s.

We were just there on Friday and the crowds weren't overly crazy. If you like the roller coasters, get there when they open and head right towards the bigger rides. The lines for the smaller kid rides take forever!!

When we went in the fall, we stayed at the Ramada in Carlsbad. A little bit older, but very clean and affordable. The breakfast was nicer than a lot of continental breakfasts we've been to. We stayed on a weeknight and booked through priceline-it was only $37 with the fees. :)

We were in Carlsbard this past spring and stayed at a house we found on www.vrbo.com, although this time of year is quite expensive - not sure how long you are staying, but we loved having a house to cook most of our meals....there are some nice hotels in Carlsbad as well if you're staying for a shorter amount of time. Most VRBO places want a week during the summer, some at least 3 nights....something to check on anyway. Especially if you can find last minute deals.

Have fun!

A house would be ideal. I'd love to be down there for a week so we could enjoy Legoland and the Oceanside beaches. But we're only going for a few days bec. that's what my husband can get off right now....

No, I didn't know they have homeschool Mondays. We're planning to be there on Monday, so I will definitely check that out. Maybe it's on their site somewhere... off to look...

Thanks!

Be there before it opens. If your kids like roller coasters, head straight for the back. Ride Project X and the Dragon. I'd also hit the ride where you steer the boats. I can't remember the name, but it's opposite Pirate Shores. The lines for those three get long.

Avoid the Safari Car line unless you just HAVE to ride it. It takes forever.

The Sky Cruiser is not worth waiting for. You don't even really pedal. The ride that shares an entrance with Sky Cruiser is fun.

If your kids want to drive the cars, that line also gets long. You'll want to hit that early.

Don't miss the fire truck show!! It is hilarious and a great place to sit and eat a snack.

We usually eat at the Sports Cafe. They usually have a kids buffet and they give free refills on drinks. They'll even give you it in a to-go cup if you ask. It does take some time to eat there. It is a sit-down type place.

There's a fun place to run around and climb and play. I can't remember the name, but it's a nice change. It's toward the back.

We always carry in lots of snacks and each kid carries their own water bottle.

If you are going to play at Pirate Shores, bring swimsuits and at least one towel. I ended up buying one once because we were desperate.

My kids all love the build and test play center.

They have Mindstorms classes you can sign up for for free. I don't remember the lower age limit. I'm sure your 10yos are old enough. They are fun. Go sign up right away across from the build and test place. We ususally split up. I sign up and my dh takes the kids to the first ride.

Save time for Miniland. It's amazing!

I wouldn't spend time at the Water Park or the Aquarium unless you have more than one day.

The line for Aquazone usually isn't that long, but I don't go in the summer. It might be different then. You will probably get wet on that ride.

Fairy Tale Brook is a fun ride to sit and relax on when you are tired. The line is always really short. We go on it every time.

Coast Cruise is probably not worth your time. It's not very exciting, though you do get to see some more of miniland up close.

My kids like the shows. We don't usually have trouble finding a seat.

We usually go on homeschool days. We've only gone once when it was really busy and it was Chrismas time, so I can't be that helpful with summer crowds. I figure all the usual problems are just magnified. All the little kid ride lines take way longer than you think because so few people can ride at one time.

There is never much of a line for Bionicle Blaster. The height requirement is high for some reason. It's near the Project X roller coaster.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness writing. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. We've had passes off and on since the park opened and have gone at least once a year since. My kids are huge lego fans.

BTW, your kids are the perfect ages to get the most out of the park.

Unless Legoland has improved the decking of the water play area, it can be very slippery. My son slipped on it and was injured. That was years ago and the surface may be different now, but be sure to size things up when you get there.

One attraction not to miss is the ventriloquist show. I'm all a giggles right now just thinking about it.

Be there before it opens.

We always carry in lots of snacks and each kid carries their own water bottle.

We went there at the end of April and dh and my stepdad both thought there was no reason to be there early - we left in time to be there as the gates opened and there were several hundred cars in front of us in line, waiting. So be early :)

I also noticed the lack of any drinking fountains - so bring water unless you want to have to pay for it. When we went to the zoo, there were drinking fountains all over, which I greatly appreciated, but I'm not sure I even saw one at Legoland. . .

Be sure that when you enter the park that you go to the back first. Everybody gets in line at the first ride they see so the lines at the first several rides are quite long, especially when the park first opens. If you go to the back, the lines are much shorter.

MiracleOne, Thanks for posting the home school days link. I added them to my calendar.... just in case....

Maryann, Thanks for all the detailed thoughts & tips!

Sandra, Thanks for the tip on watershoes. We do have some. I'll be sure to pack them.

KH-We'll bring our waterbottles. I would never have thought an amusement type park would lack water fountains. You'd think they'd really push water bec of the safety/heat concern.

I'll be prying my night owl husband out of bed early to get there before it opens.

Thank you so much, everyone, for all your tips! This is going to be a great trip!