Menu

Planning international travel from US -- question for travelers in the know

I have a question for travelers in the know ....

If one travels from small airport A to larger international airport B (both in the US) before traveling on to airport C and airport D (both in a foreign country), how does one deal with luggage?

I understand that a traveler will arrive at airport B and will need to transfer to the international terminal. But does one need to collect one's luggage there (airport B) or can it be checked through at airport A to the first foreign destination, airport C, at which point one will go through Customs?

We're trying to gauge how much time needs to be spent at airport B. If you can provide first hand knowledge or, even better, a link with information on this topic, it would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Kareni

If one travels from small airport A to larger international airport B (both in the US) before traveling on to airport C and airport D (both in a foreign country), how does one deal with luggage?

I understand that a traveler will arrive at airport B and will need to transfer to the international terminal. But does one need to collect one's luggage there (airport B) or can it be checked through at airport A to the first foreign destination, airport C, at which point one will go through Customs?

We're trying to gauge how much time needs to be spent at airport B. If you can provide first hand knowledge or, even better, a link with information on this topic, it would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Kareni

You check your luggage at airport A and pick it up at airport D to go through customs. It is a wave through - what could you possibly have to declare? (unless you're entering a country which the State Dept. has already told you not to go to, that is...)

But not until you stand in the long-@ss "you do not have an EU/African/Asian/wherever passport" line behind every other person in the world to enter whatever country you're trying to enter.

Going in the reverse, however, sucks.

When you LEAVE the foreign country, the minute you hit US soil, you and your luggage will disembark and go through customs. There will be sniffer dogs. There will be people going through your luggage. You may have to hand it over to people so it can go through a fun-house "It's a Small World" tunnel out of your sight to be x-rayed and pawed. This will occur before you hit any connecting flight. If you have a connecting flight, you will re-check the bags and pick them up at the far end (no further hulabaloo).

a

Regards,

Kareni

It depends upon how your flights are aligned. For example, I once had to fly to BWI on one airline and switch airlines for my international flight. That meant I had to collect my bags from luggage claim and hike over to the international terminal. It was a serious pain. If you have connecting flights, then you should be good.

Other than that, I agree with asta.

My advice would be to think about traveling the Rick Steves way, and not check luggage at all. I did it on a recent trip to London, and it worked wonderfully. I had only my carry-on, which meant I could do a ton of traveling once I was in the UK, because I could lug all my luggage (the one small suitcase) all over the place on trains and buses, etc. You can't do this for every trip, but if you can, it's very freeing. No worries about lost luggage, no paying someone else to lug it, no worrying about theft when it's out of your hands. Think about it.

Regards,

Kareni

There are many variables--

Some airlines can check you the entire way through, some you may have to pick up your luggage and switch it yourself.

I have always been able to check my luggage all the way through when leaving the US. I can't remember where I showed my passport on the way out. On returning I usually have to collect all my luggage at the first airport, go through border checks and customs and then turn in the luggage to the next spot. Usually they have a special luggage check that allows you to skip the normal lines upstairs. Then you go through security again-but it is often an area just for switching to domestic travel. The distance between these points can vary greatly depending on the airline/airport.

Once you reach your destination the levels of checking and rechecking luggage or going through customs depends. For example there are two divisions for airports in Europe depending on various international agreements. The US wasn't a party to those last time I traveled, so in some airports I would have to go through an internal security check after arriving and before switching to another plane. I don't think I had to collect my luggage until the final destination though. It really all depends on your layover and destination points.

Also-do note that some airports have special luggage size/weight restrictions that sometimes apply to folks who are transferring there as well as using it as a final destination.

Did not read all replies...

If the whole flight is one ticket with cooperating or same airlines, you check your baggage in at A and through to your final destination D.

Please be aware that for coming back to the US, you must retrieve your luggage at the first US airport you arrive to carry it through customs and re-check it immediately after. Major hassle.

Even if you do not have to get your luggage on your way out, it still may take quite some time to change planes. We travel frequently and prefer to have at least two hours between connections. Planes may be late, security lines long.

Based on my experience, it also depends on what airport is airport B. For me, flying Montreal (my starting point)-Toronto-any other country, I'd have to pick up all luggage in Toronto and drag them to the international area of the airport. Toronto is just set up that way.

Once, flying into the US, going to Atlanta, I also had to take charge of my luggage in some mid-point airport (cincinatti?) , even though US customs and immigrations are cleared in Montreal, prior to the flight. I didn't have to go through customs again, I just had to take care of my luggage.

It seems to me it's dependeng on airports, airlines, and special arrangements.

Thank you all for weighing in. I suspect that this says it best ...

It seems to me it's dependent on airports, airlines, and special arrangements.

The tickets we booked are actually in two parts -- a round trip flight from airport A to B and then another round trip from airport B to C to D (on different airlines, of course!). We'll attempt to get the luggage checked from airport A all the way through to airport D, but only time will tell if we're successful.

If others have different experiences, please do share.

Regards,

Karen

Yup.

Coming back is exhausting.

Dawn

If the whole flight is one ticket with cooperating or same airlines, you check your baggage in at A and through to your final destination D.

Please be aware that for coming back to the US, you must retrieve your luggage at the first US airport you arrive to carry it through customs and re-check it immediately after. Major hassle.

Even if you do not have to get your luggage on your way out, it still may take quite some time to change planes. We travel frequently and prefer to have at least two hours between connections. Planes may be late, security lines long.

You check your luggage at airport A and pick it up at airport D to go through customs. It is a wave through - what could you possibly have to declare? (unless you're entering a country which the State Dept. has already told you not to go to, that is...)

But not until you stand in the long-@ss "you do not have an EU/African/Asian/wherever passport" line behind every other person in the world to enter whatever country you're trying to enter.

Going in the reverse, however, sucks.

When you LEAVE the foreign country, the minute you hit US soil, you and your luggage will disembark and go through customs. There will be sniffer dogs. There will be people going through your luggage. You may have to hand it over to people so it can go through a fun-house "It's a Small World" tunnel out of your sight to be x-rayed and pawed. This will occur before you hit any connecting flight. If you have a connecting flight, you will re-check the bags and pick them up at the far end (no further hulabaloo).

This is also my experience. In coming back to the US I have a rule. When I hit US soil and go through the fun-house of customs and passport control I stay the night there - no connecting flights until the next day. It's too much of a variable as to how long the pawing will take!

I always allow AT LEAST 2 hours between connections. Three if I can swing it. Too many variables, especially with international travel. I've had to go through security again just transiting within the Munich and Frankfurt airports with no explanation as to why. I never left the airside of the airport, and was transiting from one international flight to another so I didn't go through any kind of passport or customs control. Just a random security checkpoint.

I will pray for you if one of your airports is Schipol.

Anyone who has been through there will understand.

Laughed out loud. I've not been through it, but DH has (and that's why I've never been through it!).

Thank you all for weighing in. I suspect that this says it best ...

The tickets we booked are actually in two parts -- a round trip flight from airport A to B and then another round trip from airport B to C to D (on different airlines, of course!). We'll attempt to get the luggage checked from airport A all the way through to airport D, but only time will tell if we're successful.

If others have different experiences, please do share.

Regards,

Karen

This could make it interesting then. You may have to pick up the luggage at B. It'll also depend on the type of airport C is. For example, if one flies into Seoul to connect to another Korean city, you'd have to pick up your luggage then take a bus to the domestic airport about 30 minutes away. Not sure how many other countries work that way. I don't think I've had to collect my luggage when doing an international layover though. You do have to get your luggage first stop back into the US though. Also, if you're flying United from A to B, I'd HIGHLY recommend a decent layover there. I've never been on a flight with them that hasn't taken off or arrived late. Such a pain.

Good luck and have fun! Sounds like it'll be a great trip.

ETA: with that many airport changes, you may want to have a complete change of clothes in your carry-ons in case your luggage doesn't make a connection somewhere.

This makes me long for the days of my youth.. When air travel was easy, fun and glamorous! (well, no, my parents got the glamorous days, not me).

I once flew Montreal-Zurich-Geneva and crossed over to France. Not a single password check! Only security check was in Montreal. No immigration either. In Zurick, the plane landed late so they rushed me to my connection flight, saying I'd get immigration in Geneva. But once there, I had landed in the domestic area of the airport, so no customs no immigration. I was actually peeved, because I wanted to have my password stamped! And the French border patrol waved us through and didn't even want us to slow down! :lol:

We recently flew from Chicago to Rome to Thessaloniki. We went through passport control in Rome, but not in Greece. Our luggage was checked all the way from Chicago to Greece. It was all Alitalia. The passport check in Rome was just getting it stamped.

Coming back to Chicago, there was a line in customs. It took about 30 minutes.

ETA: with that many airport changes, you may want to have a complete change of clothes in your carry-ons in case your luggage doesn't make a connection somewhere.

Agreed. I'm a bit nuts that way, and always travel assuming that I'll have to spend and extra 24 hours in the airport, and that my luggage may not make it. It's happened to me enough times that I like to know that if it happens again, I'm prepared. (Thus, my current obsession with carry-on-only travel, as per Rick Steves. I once went to Europe with a 2-year-old, a 5-year-old, an umbrella stroller, a large backpack for me and a tiny one for each kid.)

So - cell phone and charger (and maybe plug adapter thingy so you can share a plug with someone), food, toothbrush (it makes a huge difference to your mood if you feel clean), complete change of clothes (once a lady spilled her lemonade all over me), hoodie/fleece you can ball up and use as a pillow, things to entertain the kiddos (and you), and so on. If you're prepared for delays, you can take them pleasantly in stride, with no extra stress.

Our last trip (5 airports, 2 countries)

Check luggage in Vermont (straight thru to destination, as we were flying with the same airline alliance the whole trip)

Washington, DC (change planes)

LAX (change planes, including changing to international terminal) *If you are traveling through LAX eat in the domestic terminal as the food in the international terminal was horrible :ack2:

AKL (go through immigration, collect luggage & go through customs, recheck luggage at the domestic desk in the international terminal before walking to the domestic terminal 5 minutes away to board the plane to WRE)

If you google the airports you are traveling through they usually have on the website what in recommended times to allow for transit. I've found that 3 hours for international transit (if you will need to go through customs, etc.) or 1.5-2 hours for domestic transit is usually enough. The only time I ran into problems was in Sydney, Australia where we were required to collect our luggage & go through security, even though we were transiting through SYD on a flight from Korea to NZ. We ended up missing our flight to NZ when we arrived at the gate 25 minutes before departure after running the length of the airport only to find that no one was allowed to board unless they arrived at the gate at least 30 minutes ahead of time:mad: Needless to say, I do NOT fly through SYD anymore.

I agree with the others that have recommended bringing a change of clothes, etc. in your carry-ons. At the moment travel Down Under is being disrupted on a daily basis by the ash cloud from Chile, as well as the continuing aftershocks from the Christchurch EQ.

JMHO

Edited by Deb in NZ

If you google the airports you are traveling through they usually have on the website what in recommended times to allow for transit. I've found that 3 hours for international transit (if you will need to go through customs, etc.) or 1.5-2 hours for domestic transit is usually enough. The only time I ran into problems was in Sydney, Australia where we were required to collect our luggage & go through security, even though we were transiting through SYD on a flight from Korea to NZ. We ended up missing our flight to NZ when we arrived at the gate 25 minutes before departure after running the length of the airport only to find that no one was allowed to board unless they arrived at the gate at least 30 minutes ahead of time:mad: Needless to say, I do NOT fly through SYD anymore.

At this rate, no one would get anywhere in United. I HATE that when we get our tickets booked through the government, they feel 45 minutes is enough time to make an international connection, with kids.:banghead: On our last flight home, we were given a one hour connection, the flight arrived late only to be delayed at the gate for more than 30 minutes, giving us NO time to get to the gate. The boys and I ran through the airport--hopeing we were going in the right direction since they didn't give us any info on the plane about connecting flights (I seem to remember the flight attendant reading off a list of gates for those making transfers, I couldn't even ask a questions since the seat belt sign was on.) We were one of the last ones to board, but not the last. It sure would have been nice to have had a couple minutes to gather ourselves before getting on the plane for an 11 hour flight.

At any rate, my advice would be to give you as much time as you can. I am even thinking of doing overnight layovers from now on to just to make it more relaxing if I can't fly direct.

As for LAX, their international terminal has been completely redone and is rather nice now. I'm not sure why my family hates it so much, but I find it very easy to get around and in and out of. Also, from our experience, the big Asian airports are very nice with lots to do and kill time in. Most are pretty much shopping malls, lots of places to eat.