Menu

Why does the skin on your face commonly become redder around 40?

I am not sure but my skin is very red on my face. It shows up badly on pictures. :glare: I was told that for like $1500 I could do something about it--mine is broken blood vessels. In the past I was a naughty girl about sunscreen so that may be what caused it for me. I do not like it. Sorry it has happened to you too.

Yes, it happened to me but also to most of the fair skinned women that I know about my age. Is it about losing the fat layer under the skin so the blood shows through easier? Is it something else?

Pegasus

Have you had your blood pressure checked recently?

Well, I am closer to fifty than forty and I have always avoided the sun like a vampire........my really really pale skin doesn't have a red flush unless I am sick or really pissed off, or if I have had a little bit of a nice whiskey in my tea. I do have high blood pressure and take meds for that. Sorry to not be helpful!

It could be rosacea. Go see a dermatologist. They can work wonders. I was red, red, red and using everything I could find to make it better. One little office visit later and the red was gone in a couple weeks. It is all topical stuff. One I use in the day and the other at night. It is so much better I only need it a few times a month now.

Sun damage will also coarsen and weaken the skin, making it redder and sometimes thicker.

Broken blood vessels can part of rosecea. If rosecea is untreated it will progress to include broken blood vessels. Avoid things that make you flush. Some people will have to swear off spicy food, red wine, etc.

Guest Dulcimeramy

I'm red all over. Face, neck, chest and arms are red, and I was once very fair. It looks funny with my graying strawberry-blonde hair, and I'll have to do something because I'm looking like a fuzzy tomato to myself in the mirror.

My Dad's side of the family is Native American. Those not having jet-black hair and dark skin at birth (half of us) seem to turn purple-red in their thirties (other half).

I didn't think I would. I was very, very fair-skinned. But my Grandma had been, too, and she turned purple-red when she was fairly young. That's when she started dyeing her hair, if I recall correctly.

Rosacea seems to be a catchall in the dermatology field. They weren't able to help mine at all. No one really knows what causes the kind that doesn't improve with those antibiotic ointments. I have fair skin and have it. It started in my lower 30's. I hate it.

It could be rosacea. Go see a dermatologist. They can work wonders. I was red, red, red and using everything I could find to make it better. One little office visit later and the red was gone in a couple weeks. It is all topical stuff. One I use in the day and the other at night. It is so much better I only need it a few times a month now.

Sun damage will also coarsen and weaken the skin, making it redder and sometimes thicker.

Broken blood vessels can part of rosecea. If rosecea is untreated it will progress to include broken blood vessels. Avoid things that make you flush. Some people will have to swear off spicy food, red wine, etc.