Menu

Putting Myself Out There (prayers needed)

I'm usually fine on Father's Day, but this year it's hitting me really hard. Please pray for me. Without going into detail, my dad was abusive and, as far as I can tell, never felt any normal father-daughter emotional connection with me. I loved him anyway. He died when I was 14, so there's really no way to fix things between us now.

As I see all the people change their facebook profile pictures to their fathers and publicly praise these good men, I find my heart breaking a little.

Nothing to do but push through and be strong, I guess. But, will you please pray for me today? I don't want to spend the day fighting tears.

My husband is an amazing daddy to our girls and I want today to be about celebrating HIM, not grieving for the evil that passed through my life so many years ago.

Thanks.

I'm usually fine on Father's Day, but this year it's hitting me really hard. Please pray for me. Without going into detail, my dad was abusive and, as far as I can tell, never felt any normal father-daughter emotional connection with me. I loved him anyway. He died when I was 14, so there's really no way to fix things between us now.

As I see all the people change their facebook profile pictures to their fathers and publicly praise these good men, I find my heart breaking a little.

Nothing to do but push through and be strong, I guess. But, will you please pray for me today? I don't want to spend the day fighting tears.

My husband is an amazing daddy to our girls and I want today to be about celebrating HIM, not grieving for the evil that passed through my life so many years ago.

Thanks.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I could have written this. I am really sorry. Sometimes I imagine if my dad had lived he would have changed.

Turn off facebook. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors and people usually only write the good things anyway.

You are right to want to celebrate your DH. Get involved in Father's Day plans for him and hopefully the fun you are having will push the bad memories away.

:grouphug:

My father just disappeared when I was about 10 years old. They'd been divorced, and my mother was taking us for the weekend visit we'd expected to have, only when we got there, one of his roommates informed us that he and his girlfriend had taken all their stuff and just disappeared.

I make Father's Day about my husband, and knowing that my children have a better father than I did, and that makes me happy.

:grouphug::grouphug: I'm sorry that you are feeling this way.

I don't have a relationship with my father. I stopped trying after he had 2 heart attacks and prostate cancer and still didn't care to be involved in his children's lives. There is no guarantee that if he had lived longer that you would have been able to patch things up. Some people spend their entire lives emotionally unattached.

Try to enjoy the day with your family, and don't let others relationships with their fathers be a measuring stick for yourself. :grouphug:

I am praying for you today. Praying that through the pain you can find yet another level of healing. Praying that this day will bring surprises full of unexpected joy. Praying that you can feel the love of your truest Father - your Heavenly Father in a new and even more real way than ever before! Thanking God for your husband and family that will give you the love you need today. Praying for soothing for your heart.

and sending lots of virtual :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:s your way.

Thanks for the hugs and prayers. They helped so much!!! :)

Today has turned out to be very nice. Girls gave daddy gifts, we took him out to lunch, and spent time at the park flying kites. It was a GOOD day and I am so grateful!!

I had an epiphany this morning - regardless of the past, I can be happy for one thing in particular: I BROKE THE CYCLE. I come from a long line of little girls with abusive, neglectful daddies. The cycle ends with me. MY girls will not grow up with that ugly legacy and that is so amazing and gratifying.

My upbringing still stings, but my present is pretty wonderful. I'm blessed.

Thanks for the hugs and prayers. They helped so much!!! :)

Today has turned out to be very nice. Girls gave daddy gifts, we took him out to lunch, and spent time at the park flying kites. It was a GOOD day and I am so grateful!!

I had an epiphany this morning - regardless of the past, I can be happy for one thing in particular: I BROKE THE CYCLE. I come from a long line of little girls with abusive, neglectful daddies. The cycle ends with me. MY girls will not grow up with that ugly legacy and that is so amazing and gratifying.

My upbringing still stings, but my present is pretty wonderful. I'm blessed.

I am glad to hear about your wonderful day and even happier to read about your epiphany! It is amazing to see the love between DH & DD and not any fear.