Menu

If you had to buy a box all in one.....

I would say sonlight for both, but I did not have good luck with their LA. Sonlight has wonderful books, but I would add in crafts/hands on stuff with both their prek and 2nd grade (for second grade I would use Core 1/B).

My first thought was Sonlight because I really like their book selections and they offer choices for some subjects like math and handwriting.

My second thought was Calvert because it's very comprehensive and has a true open and go teachers manual. Calvert would be more secular/neutral than Sonlight. If they haven't changed in the last few years they even include pencils, eraser, ruler, gluestick, paper, etc.

I've used both and liked them both. Have fun deciding!:001_smile:

Like all curriculum the success or not or a boxed curriculum depends as much on the nature of the student as the "learning coach".

I have tried Calvert and K12 and as much as I would have loved them both to work they didn't. They are both rigorous and, as my children have said, if you were a school child I am sure that they would be a great improvement on what is offered in most B&M. And even though both programs allow for some adjustment according to ability across subjects it is limited. You have to have an out of the box child. Also, if you like tweaking you can soon lose the benefit of the boxed curriculum.

I wouldn't call Sonlight an out of the box curriculum. It provides a good core but there are still a lot of decisions to make. I don't find it as open and go as Calvert for example....which truly is open and go as long as you stay on the same page across all the manuals.

Oh for the perfect out of the box curriculum, individualised to your child with an open and go manual :-).

Good luck with your search and the decision you make.