Menu

Three words to describe your children - does it change over time?

Hey everyone! I'm brand new here, I was thinking about a thread that was posted earlier today about describing your children in three words and I thought I'd start one myself! Wish me luck :001_smile:

My ds2 is my first babe and I described him as independent, inquisitive and mellow. I'm wondering: does that change? If you have older kids, would you have used the same words to describe them when they were toddlers? I would love for ds to be mellow when he is a teenager! :D

I would say the characteristics of mine have basically stayed the same, although my ds15 used to be very, very clingy as a small child- definitely a mummy's boy in the classic sense- and although we are very close, he is no longer clingy but very independent. :)

I think their basic natures, beyond age appropriate developmental characteristics, have just matured over time, but have stayed the same.

Good luck with your mellow toddler/ teenager :) I have one mellow one, one not so mellow, and they were similar from a young age.

My kids have stayed very much the same. Their personalities are more mature, and they have learned not to cry or have temper tantrums, but their basic essence is the same. My laid back kid is still very laid back. My intense ones are still intense...but in a nice way now:D

Faithe

My kids have stayed very much the same. Their personalities are more mature, and they have learned not to cry or have temper tantrums, but their basic essence is the same. My laid back kid is still very laid back. My intense ones are still intense...but in a nice way now:D

Faithe

:iagree:

The words I used to describe mine have pretty much been true since they were born. I think they are the root of their personalities. I tried not to use words that describe them "in the moment". Like for my oldest I could have used smart-mouthed, angry, and tearful, but that's not really her personality. I think and hope it's just hormones. :lol:

I tried not to use words that describe them "in the moment".

I think that's a great point. I'm so anxious and excited to see his personality slowly emerge, whatever it is, that I can't tell if its just toddler behavior (such as being inquisitive) or his personality. But hopefully his real personality isn't "screaming on the floor every time we tell him no."

My eldest is mostly just growing up in a predictable fashion. My youngest would have been explained as:

Mommy's Milla Monster (He would chase after me for Milla - breast milk)

or I could have done it in two words

Demon Child

When he got upset he would get so mad he would hold his breath to the point he would induce a seizure. He didn't like being alone ever! Now he is my boy who will happily go play by himself for periods of time in his own world. He will get upset and cry, but get over it in minutes.

I think yes and no.

They will change a little, but I tried to choose the characteristics that seem to have held through developmental stages, and also the characteristics that particularly describe the child individually, distinct from his or her siblings. Looking back at my dd18's childhood, I think I chose words that would have described her just as well at 5 or 12 or 15 as they do now.

My intense toddlers turned into intense children; my my deep and somewhat reserved toddlers have turned into deep-thinking and reserved people; my mellow sunny toddler is now a mellow sunny boy. :)

Cat