Menu

I am creeped out!

We live in a large subdivision and have @ 3/4 an acre of land with a section of woods and a small revine type area behind out house that abuts a large field. My 13 and younger kids play down this revine and a few weeks ago my 13 yo DD said she was down there, ALONE, and she noticed a teen boy in the woods staring at her. Our dog was outside and she called the dog, who chased the kid off.

I went down there and looked around and told the kids to not go out there alone, ever.

Tonight my 15 yo son went out there to get our cat and all of a sudden he hears this kid take off running.

Once is weird, twice is scary! So I called the police and they came out and talked to my kids and said they were going to drive around and see what they can do. I wanted this documented and figured whoever this kid is might see the police car and know I mean business.

So not even 15 minutes go by and they are back. The officer said the first house they went to, the kid answered the door. He told them he was jogging? in a field ? But the officer told him to stay away from our property and hopefully that will be the end of that.

My Dh is worried cause it seems like the police knew exactly which house to go to. It just seemed odd they got the right house on 1st try, kwim?

Well the kids are now forbidden to go outside without a teen boy or DH and I out there and they can no longer pla down the ravine. I figured because my 13 yo was with them and there was a group that they'd be safe. :001_huh:

Did I over react or would this have creeped you out too?

It sounds like you and I have a similar land situation:subdivision, woods and revine w/ stream.

If I saw a teen boy,twice, just standing watching (and I do have a 13yr. old dd too) yep, I'd probably-not probably--I would make a call.

Did it upset your dd?

You can NEVER be too careful.

And I'm thinking that if he had wanted to make friends, play or get to know your kids he wouldn't have ran, kwim? And ya, wierd the police knew where to go to...maybe it was a lucky shot in the dark that they found him right away, maybe not.

Not something you had to worry about back when I was a kid....doggone it...I hate having to be this cautious, but I think it's a good idea.

Guest Virginia Dawn

One note: It may not be as odd as you think that the police knew where to go. If it is their job to patrol your area, they may know more about you and your neighbors than you think. We were surprised at the efficiency of the sheriff's department in our area when we needed them once.

Finding someone quickly doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong with that person, even though I would definitely be concerned in your shoes.

we had a trespasser - the cop knew who it was by the description. Granted, he lived in the neighborhood (i'm bummed he moved), and there was only one teenager with dreadlocks living there - but still!

I'm guessing the child has been in trouble of some sort.

I think that your guidelines are more than fair - we had to put a fence up because since the tornado everyone thinks that our driveway is a road to their property. UGH.

Hopefully it's nothing, but you did right!