Menu

What should I take to this potluck?

My first thought was either Spanish or Mexican rice, or some sort of beans (refried, pinto, black).

You could also just toss together a quick salad, that always goes over well. Of course, when I'm particularly stressed, tired, etc. then I just go to Sam's and pick up a pre-made veggie platter, which also always goes over well.

If you go the dessert route, I'd either do ice-cream or watermelon, but those are my "go-to" summer desserts (that also always go over well)! In fact, I've never arrived carrying a watermelon, and not had the children attending get very excited!

Either way, have fun!

Frozen, sliced peaches and raspberries. Toss with a bit of raspberry Torani or Davinci syrup. Keep it frozen until about 30 minutes before serving. (15 minutes if it is hot out.) This is great for an outdoor event because the fruit stays semi-frozen and is very refreshing.

Another easy one we do is the same as Melinda, the pineapple and Mandarin oranges, but we usually add some flamed coconut, and sometimes add in some cherries. (I like the sweet, fresh cherries, but the guys at my husband's office like the Maraschino.) make sure to drain the liquid from the fruit before mixing. You can save the liquid to make smoothies or spritzers (mix with seltzer.)

Both are simple and easy and, people will ask you for the 'recipe'! (that always cracks me up.)

Super simple & always a hit:

All you need:

8 oz cream cheese

8-12 oz sour cream

Taco seasoning

Shredded lettuce

Shredded cheese

Tortilla chips

Optional: slice olives, chopped green onions, diced fresh tomato

Layered dip....

1.) Soften 8 oz cream cheese & 8-12 oz sour cream

2.) Stir in a pkg of taco seasoning mix (or if you make your own taco seasoning, use the amt you'd use for about 1 pound of meat)

3.) Spread in 9x13 dish

4.) Spread on a large can of refried beans of the cream cheese layer

5.) Dump a bag of shredded lettuce over the beans (or shred your own - I get lazy)

6.) Dump some shredded cheese over lettuce

Optional #7.) If you want to jazz it up you can toss a few sliced black olives, chopped green onions, or diced fresh tomatoes for color and flavor (any or all of those are great)

Serve with a bag of tortilla chips - this always gets lots of compliments and it's easy on me when I'm tired, and fairly easy on the budget!

Frozen' date=' sliced peaches and raspberries. Toss with a bit of raspberry Torani or Davinci syrup. Keep it frozen until about 30 minutes before serving. (15 minutes if it is hot out.) This is great for an outdoor event because the fruit stays semi-frozen and is very refreshing.[/quote']

That's a yummy idea!!!! And great for people who are gluten free or watching their carbs. I'd rather splurge a few carbs on some fruit than a brownie!

Jean, can you just grab some pico de gallo and guacamole? Those are soooo popular and easy too.

If you are still looking for ideas:

Mix canned black beans (drained), canned corn (drained), and canned diced tomatoes (drained, with chilies is great but not necessary), add some red wine vinaigrette dressing and chopped cilantro. Can be served chilled or room temp.

I usually use a 1-1-1 ratio for the canned goods.

A recipe that's really great with tacos or enchiladas is Cactus Corn. It's really colorful and tastes great. If you are pressed for time you could omit the tomato and green pepper...but it does add to the color. Keep it hot in a crock pot.

Or, make my moms pistachio salad. There's lots of versions...here's hers:

1 large 16oz cool whip

Two 3oz packages of pistachio pudding (just open and use the powder)

2 regular cans of fruit cocktail (or 1 large can); use the juice too

One 8oz can crushed pineapple; use the juice too

Mix everything together with a spoon and refrigerate.

Easy peasy and scrumpdillyumptious.