Menu

The transition to a picked up house

As of Sunday no children may watch t.v., play with the neighbor kids, read or do computer unless their stuff is picked up out of the shared living areas. Also- I will not buy one single new piece of clothing or toy until dd's room is cleaned. (We're cleaning one section of her room a day, together.)

Ds13 has transitioned very easily to the new policy. I have had to remind him or call him in but he's taken care of the problem cheerfully and quickly. Of course it helps that he doesn't leave massive amounts of stuff out.

Dd9 is having a very difficult transition. She's finding that she can no longer come in and dump whatever is in her hands on the living room floor and have it live there amidst my ineffectual griping for the next week.

I am wondering why I didn't do this years ago. I know the reason was exhaustion and brain fog that couldn't deal with even the obvious. But now I am enjoying the new picked up house so much. I'm finding that I am getting more housework done because I don't exhaust myself tidying and nagging the kids to put away their stuff for an hour before hand.

I recently did the same thing here. No electronics or playtime until all is picked up. I spent 3 days this past week deep cleaning/organizing their playroom and bedroom and the rule starts there. As soon as I get the rest of the house done, maintenance will be required before any fun time.

You go girl!

A few months back I took EVERYTHING out of my kids rooms. I mean, they were left with a bed. and thats all. They have had to earn everything back and everytime they dont do their chores I take something away. Its sooo clean and peaceful over here :)

I think I am going to borrow your approach. Only I may do it many times a week. We are moving in a few months and I feel like I am drowning in clutter yet I still have to find a way to organize and pack up the essentials. Hopefully, it will fit better into the new house!

As of Sunday no children may watch t.v., play with the neighbor kids, read or do computer unless their stuff is picked up out of the shared living areas. Also- I will not buy one single new piece of clothing or toy until dd's room is cleaned. (We're cleaning one section of her room a day, together.)

Ds13 has transitioned very easily to the new policy. I have had to remind him or call him in but he's taken care of the problem cheerfully and quickly. Of course it helps that he doesn't leave massive amounts of stuff out.

Dd9 is having a very difficult transition. She's finding that she can no longer come in and dump whatever is in her hands on the living room floor and have it live there amidst my ineffectual griping for the next week.

I am wondering why I didn't do this years ago. I know the reason was exhaustion and brain fog that couldn't deal with even the obvious. But now I am enjoying the new picked up house so much. I'm finding that I am getting more housework done because I don't exhaust myself tidying and nagging the kids to put away their stuff for an hour before hand.

Have you read The House That Cleans Itself? I'm not done with it yet, but I did glean a few things. Taking pictures of the mess and creating a system for most used items. For me I have baskets for various things that need to be out and available, but not taking up space all over. I'm still in the process of making stations for things, but I think it will help me to have a more picked up space, even though this is something I have been moving towards as my kids have gotten older, I want to make it more on them and less on me. :001_smile:

I don't know if this would be helpful or not... I keep a pretty neat & tidy house and one thing that is immensely helpful in keeping it that way is we do several pick ups throughout the day.

Before we go upstairs at 8:30am to get dressed and start school, the living room & dining room must be picked up in a neat & tidy fashion.

While we are upstairs getting dressed they make their beds and do their daily straightening of their room.

Then we go to the school room/play room. Once we are finished, the room must be picked up before they can go outside to play. And we do another pick up of the living room right before Daddy gets home.

Doing multiple small cleanups during the day prevents things from ever getting to out of hand.

:grouphug: I'm glad it's going so well for you.

Don't be too hard on yourself, health issues are so very hard to deal with, I remember my own. Dd will come around, just keep at it.

I remember a year or two ago with Drew Campbell (Plaid Dad) posted (either here or on his blog) that his family had instituted a policy with their daughter that ALL her possessions had to permanently reside in her room. No exceptions. I think I recall him saying that he was tired of toys, clothes, books, etc. being strewn in the shared living space.

I am a merciless drill sergeant with our girls, but I have to be... in this small space, there isn't any ROOM for clutter. My strategy is to not FEED them until it's all picked up. That really motivates children. ;) As in, "Clean up the living room, make your beds, and do your chores if you want breakfast." "Clean up the living room, put away these books, and go to the bathroom if you want lunch." Try it, it works! :lol:

Stick to your guns, Jean in Newcastle, and hopefully the new regimen will become the new normal. It's like changing time zones. Disorienting at first, but you get used to it. The rule for time zone changes: Live in the zone where you are. So you'll have to pull your daughter (and yourself) into this new way of "being," long enough for her to adjust. Good luck! :D

Hmm. Do you think this would work with a 4yo and 2yo?

Yes, if you tie it in with food. :lol: :D ;) When my girls were 2, 2, and 4, they learned to fold laundry (washcloths, underwear, match up socks), empty little trash cans, and sweep the kitchen floor (tiny broom). They learned to make their little beds, too, and put away their toys (in colored bins).

"Girls, please put away your toys, pick up the living room (not literally), do your chores if you want breakfast."

I love them, but they have to work. Now they say to each other, "Okay, let's clean up this mess. Mommy is not the maid!" :lol: It's so cute to see them proudly drying dishes or sweeping the floor. Fifteen minutes and we're done.