Menu

What can I do with a leftover roasted chicken?

Our chickens are kind of small, so there's usually not quite enough meat on them for a second meal where the chicken is the star. Typically, I would boil the chicken carcass until I could strip the meat off easily but before it lost all its flavor, then go on to make stock with the bones. I had a few things I was making with that leftover chicken meat, but it turns out that heated dairy products have a, shall we say, negative effect on both DH's and my digestive systems :001_huh: So those recipes, although amazingly delish, are now out.

What else can I do with those bits of leftover chicken? What is your typical process for getting a few meals out of a roasted chicken?

TIA!

Stage 1: Roast Chicken

Stage 2: Chicken burritos or Chicken fried rice or Chicken stir fry

Stage 3: Chicken stock

Sometimes we'll drop the roast chicken carcass into the chicken run and let them feast... The hens do love their protein!

One of my family's favorites is to heat the bite-sized pieces of meat in chicken gravy on the stove. Then I cook up some flat pasta noodles (ribbons, or those no yolk things), and pour the gravy w/chicken over it. I sometimes like this better than the original meal!

Chicken Salad

Chicken Tacos

Chicken Enchiladas

Chicken Soup

Chicken Sandwiches

Chicken and Rice w/ vegies (sort of a stir fry)

Pasta Salad w/ Chicken

I love spending time over at allrecipes.com. They have a ton of great ideas for using up leftover chicken!