Menu

Why are the clients the only ones that must hold to appointment times?

So true! One of our doctors is never on time. The question is more like, how late is he running today? Last time we were in there, a gentleman checked in and asked the receptionist if he had time to go across the street for coffee like last time, or if he should stay in the building and just use the coffee stand. Yet, the office has a fee for cancelling appts less than 24 hours. I always bring water, snacks, and activities. A family practice office we used required check in 15 minutes prior to the appt. If you did not, they could cancel or reschedule your appt. I asked them once if I had to wait more than 15 min after my appt time, could I cancel or reschedule.

This SERIOUSLY ticks me off. When I was pregnant with my oldest two children, I would wait like 5 or 10 minutes at the OB office. With this pregnancy, I wait no less than AN HOUR. Same OB office! I love the midwives and staff, so I don't want to change. But the wait time is seriously angering me. If I were late, they'd tell me to make a new appointment and then charge me a fee. But they get no consequence!

When my midwife was running late on her appointments and my dh had to be at work at 5 or 6, I worried about him being late or us having to leave without seeing her so he wouldn't be late. :glare: (This wasn't delivery related either, AFAIK - just a normal day). Other times, though, I'd walk in and they'd have me come be looked at right away.

Maybe people who make appointments should start allowing more time for each appointment? But then of course they couldn't schedule as many in a day... hmm.

I don't know how it is now, but I think insurance companies pressured Drs to see more patients. I always try to schedule between 1 & 2 in the afternoon, right after lunch. They usually don't get too far behind then.

I don't know how it is now, but I think insurance companies pressured Drs to see more patients

The doctors around here are usually associated with hospital networks. Ie...there are 20 different Memorial Clinics throughout the city, with multiple doctors at each clinic, with various specialties, that have privileges at Memorial Hospital. The system tells the doctors how to schedule and gives them, something like 10 minutes for a well visit and 15 for a sick visit ( or I might have that reversed.). Our first chatty pediatrician often had wait times of 1 hour or more, because she just couldn't keep to their schedule. But, once you got her...she would listen to all of your issues.

I understand the medical system and sort of make allowances. Though, our current dentist and pediatrician run tight ships and manage to balance patient care with timeliness....so, it can be done.

I have much less patience with private people (hair dressers or contractors) who run late and don't bother to call.

Edited by snickelfritz

You must have missed the recent thread about punctuality. It was quite interesting.

I did miss it. So, I searched and looked at the half-way point to get the gist.:glare:

I had 45 minutes to get a hair cut. I got it scheduled smack dab between dropping dd off and needing to pick her up. My avatar is old and my hair is longer than my bra, with no layers. Trimming it is not rocket science. If dh was willing, I'd let him. Oh, and I wanted long bangs cut in. 45 minutes is plenty of time. Until the person runs 20 minutes late....supposedly. She wasn't done yet, but projected that. Now, we have 25 minutes to do the hair cut. Probably enough time, but it might have put me late picking up my dd. I'm not INCONSIDERATE like that. I miss my appointment and pick my dd up on time.

No, I wouldn't have driven recklessly to pick her up on time. I would have called someone and been late. But, there was a point, before getting in the car, where I made choices to get me to my destination on time.

I think they get behind b/c someone else was late and the trickle down caused you to be late.

I think with dr. it is different. I have had the very sick baby who took up more of the docotors' time than the appointment allotted for. I had surgery with complications that took much longer than anticipated for...

Even knowing this... I hate having to wait for very long. My time is valuable too.

True about so many things...doctors, dentists, contractors, ect. It should work both ways!

I knew a pretty famous man (no longer living, but I don't want to mention his name) who got so angry at his doctor for making him wait that he [the famous patient] sent the doctor a bill for wasting his time. And the famous man's "rate" was higher than the doctor's I'm sure.

I don't believe the doctor ever paid up, but the point was made.

Bill