Menu

books with antagonist as main character.

moonlight

My ds(8) and I were talking about protagonists and antagonists and we got to thinking that it would be fun to read a book from the antagonist's point of view...different perspective on a story...

Does anyone know of any books out there written with the antagonist as the main character? It would be fun to see a different point of view. I know there are some fairy tale type books, even one by Roald Dahl??

Thanks,

Seema

And I have not read the books myself, however I did see the musical "Wicked."

It might be interesting to read The Wizard of OZ and then Wicked or perhaps Cinderella and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?

Though both turn the story so that within the context of their books, the antagonist becomes the protagonist.

As I said, though, I have not read the books, but LOVED Wicked the musical. It was interesting to see a theater production where romance was nearly nil and the whole focus was on friendship instead. My best friend took me to see it.:D

And I have not read the books myself, however I did see the musical "Wicked."

It might be interesting to read The Wizard of OZ and then Wicked or perhaps Cinderella and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister?

The book Wicked is definitely not for eight year olds :D

From what I remember in DP there was some discusion about the definition of an antagonist. They at one point settled on "the person that resists the forward movement of the plot". The authors may have settled on a different definition of antagonist...."good vs evil". But if you stay with the first one I still feel that The Toothpaste Millionaire fits the bill. The boy did everything in his power to resist his own success. The teacher he loved to hate fought hard for him to be successful. The book in its simplist terms was about him working hard for success. If you stay with good vs evil then, no, I agree, it does not work.

Trina, you are right about the definition of antagonist in DP.

Have to look at the book, TM, from your perspective and discuss it with ds. We were thinking that the banker who would not give him the funds was the one that was the antagonist because he was not letting the action of the story go forward??

Thanks!

Seema

This may not count, but what came in my mind was The Murder of Rodger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. It may be a murder mystery but her books are hardly gory. The main problem would be (spoiler alert!!) that while it is narrated by the murderer, you don't know that until the end of the book (true Agatha Christie style), so it may not work for what you're looking for. I believe it is the only of her books like that.

Sorry. :001_unsure: I tried.

no, no--it's a great suggestion for a book from the traditional villain's point of view. It's just that the book has a good bit of pretty graphic s*xual stuff in it. I haven't seen the musical, but I understand that it's very different.

This may not count, but what came in my mind was The Murder of Rodger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. It may be a murder mystery but her books are hardly gory. The main problem would be (spoiler alert!!) that while it is narrated by the murderer, you don't know that until the end of the book (true Agatha Christie style), so it may not work for what you're looking for. I believe it is the only of her books like that.

See, that's why I didn't give the title of either one of hers that I was thinking of! (Well, plus, I can't remember one of the titles. :p) If you start out knowing the story is from the murderer's point of view, it actually ruins the way the text is supposed to work. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't have rereading potential, but it's like telling people about "Rosebud" in Citizen Kane. It doesn't really help this discussion much anyhow, because it's not like the narrator is presenting himself as the antagonist.

I could make an argument that Julius Caesar's main character is Brutus, who is the person who works against the protagonist, Caesar, which is the definition of antagonist I'm more familiar with. Similarly, the movie The Fugitive spends equal amounts of time on Dr. Richard Kimble and the team of U. S. Marshalls led by Sam Gerard, who is his main antagonist, although definitely not the villain.

I'm a bit foggy on this but I asked my boys and they said Frindle. They said that the main character (the boy) was the antagonist and his teacher was the protagonist. The teacher was pushing the action of order forward but the main character was inhibiting that action. That was in Decon Penguins I think.

From what I remember in DP there was some discusion about the definition of an antagonist. They at one point settled on "the person that resists the forward movement of the plot". The authors may have settled on a different definition of antagonist...."good vs evil". But if you stay with the first one I still feel that The Toothpaste Millionaire fits the bill. The boy did everything in his power to resist his own success. The teacher he loved to hate fought hard for him to be successful. The book in its simplist terms was about him working hard for success. If you stay with good vs evil then, no, I agree, it does not work.

Frindle by Andrew Clements is the one where the antaonist is the slacker student who gets rich and famous by inventing a new name for a pen. He is also the main character. DP argues that the protagoist is the teacher trying to inspire this young man to embrace his education. The forward action was getting a good education something the teacher was moving forward but the student was pushing against. At least that's what I heard from DP. I've not actually read Frindle. :blush:Though my son has read it about 10 times.

Even though it's just a picture book, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs is a good suggestion. A lot of the suggestions (Wicked, Grendel, etc.) are good but clearly not age appropriate. My first thought was of the The Talented Mr. Ripley, also clearly not age appropriate.

I found this collection of fairy tales on Amazon, but I haven't read it. But a possibility? And I recently read a review of a book from the POV of a bully, but I couldn't seem to find it. Maybe Blubber? Though not Judy Blume's best, in my opinion.

WAIT! I've got it! Artemis Fowl!!! That's it. Totally from the point of view of the bad guy. And perfect 8 year old reading material. Though you should still totally do The True Story of the Three Little Pigs.

For a movie, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, although it does have some language. For a book for an adult, I would almost venture to say Gone With the Wind. Although Scarlet is technically the protagonist, you don't like her very much. Sorry, I guess neither of these are 8 year old friendly, although you might be able to watch the movie of Gone With the Wind.

Sticky Burr the Prickly Peril by John Lechner

Has the antagonist (Scurvy Burr) as the main character and narrator. It is a graphic novel about burrs. There is another book starring Sticky Burr, the "good" burr, called "Sticky Burr Adventures in Burrwood Forest".

Not exactly literature, but benign fun.