Menu

Algebra 2 before Geometry?

Have any of you had your students complete Algebra 2 before starting Geometry? If so, was it successful? We're using Chalk Dust for math, and I don't see any obvious downfalls, but thought I'd ask.

Science scopes/sequences seem to favor Algebra 2 either before or alongside Biology.

And there were no obvious fallouts. She did LoF Alg 1, LoF Alg 2 and is now doing Geom. After finishing most of Alg 2, she took the PSATs and scored a 61. She was annoyed that most the questions dealt with Geom so this year she should do much better.

jeri

Just the other day I was chatting with a woman who teaches math at our community college and she said she wishes schools taught both levels of algebra sequentially before moving on to geometry. She teaches remedial math, and she's of the opinion that going from algebra to geometry back to algebra has caused problems for her struggling students. I asked if she believes it would be valuable for stronger math students, as well, and she said she thinks algebra 2 prior to geometry, or an integrated math curriculum, would be best for most students.

I did math this way -- my math classes were in a program for accelerated students, and the professor thought that the students did better in the geometry/logic if they did algebra 2 first.

Honestly I don't think either way is "wrong", but some ways fit some students better than others.

We did this with dd because we thought that it might cement her algebra skills by not breaking them up. (This about 6 or 7 years ago.) I didn't know about the high school board here and was having difficulty figuring out what curriculum to use. I'd never seen Lial's, did not know about Jacob's or Forester, etc. So, I went with a recommendation from a local high school math teacher. As it turns out, he'd never actually seen the text he recommended and I can honestly say, WE BURNED THE TEXT when she completed it. Now, she did not struggle. But, public school texts assume that the student has had geometry so geometry review were integrated into the assignments. Therefore, we ended up teaching some geometry as we went. The text was ridiculous and the teacher's manual....I am convinced it was designed by chimpanzees with Marx Brothers mentalities. But, she actually did quite well.

The following year I discovered this board, was lurking about, and heard of Jacob's. I bought the text, found the algebra review, and thought to myself, "Aha, this is what I will do from now on." DD loved Jacob's geometry and so did I. So, we plan on using it with the boys.

There are pros and cons. One thing to consider is the age the child will be when taking the PSAT or starting the SAT/ACT. There seems to be a fair amount of geometry on those exams and they are based on the assumption that kids will have it 9th grade or at the latest, 10th. So, delaying will affect scores. DD had algebra 2 in 9th grade instead of geometry and then took the ACT. She only scored a 24 in math. The following year, after her Jacob's geometry she scored a 28 and it went up from there after trigonometry. So, there is something to be said for planning the sequence with your test prep if you are pursuing any opportunities in which your student would like a higher math score early in high school.

Personally, I think it can be well done either way. A lot will depend on your personal goals, the curriculum you choose, and how well those texts sync together.

Faith

Geometry uses Algebra 1 skills... so if Algebra 2 is worked before Geometry then the student has more that one whole school year to forget their Algebra 2 skills...this makes Pre-Calc more stressful as MOST Pre-Calc courses do not review Algebra 2-- they just jump right on in with functions that the student has not seen in over one year!

BTW-- I took Geometry after Algebra 2-- and while my logic was more mature-- I had to drop Pre-Calc due to forgetting my Algebra 2 (I self taught Algebra 2 again then took resumed my math sequence in college).

It can work either way-- but if Geometry is worked after Algebra 2 then a conscious attempt at reviewing Algebra 2 before starting in with college maths is suggested.

Also, I think the extra year between Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 helps with the LOGICAL side of Algebra 2... and IMHO, Algebra 2 is more important than Geometry if the student will be taking any further college level maths.

Geometry uses Algebra 1 skills... so if Algebra 2 is worked before Geometry then the student has more that one whole school year to forget their Algebra 2 skills...this makes Pre-Calc more stressful as MOST Pre-Calc courses do not review Algebra 2-- they just jump right on in with functions that the student has not seen in over one year!

BTW-- I took Geometry after Algebra 2-- and while my logic was more mature-- I had to drop Pre-Calc due to forgetting my Algebra 2 (I self taught Algebra 2 again then took resumed my math sequence in college).

It can work either way-- but if Geometry is worked after Algebra 2 then a conscious attempt at reviewing Algebra 2 before starting in with college maths is suggested.

Also, I think the extra year between Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 helps with the LOGICAL side of Algebra 2... and IMHO, Algebra 2 is more important than Geometry if the student will be taking any further college level maths.

I agree with your logic. :) I had dd do Geometry this year, and will do Alg 2 / Trig next year. . . I'd rather reteach Algebra during Alg 2 than have to reteach it during Calc or PreCalc!

I also think it depends on grade level-from what I hear, it is an absolute MUST to get geometry in before SAT. I think that is why traditional sequence is Alg. 1 (9th), Geo (10th), Alg 11 (11th). Now that so many are taking Alg. 1 in 8th grade, you would have time to get geo in either way.

My first DS was doing so well in Algebra that I decided to continue on with Algebra 2 and then we did Geometry. He had no problems with this sequence until he hit PreCalc

And just like Jann stated in an earlier message, Pre-Calc was a disaster. DS flunked the first PreCalc test, and we had to go into a major Algebra2 review for the next month to get him back to a decent level. (Every free moment we had was spent on Algebra Review.)

To this day, I feel that the Algebra1 - Algebra2 - Geometry sequence really hurt his level of confidence and the good feelings about math.

Algebra 2 has a nice built in review of Algebra 1. PreCalc just hits the floor running.

Second DS took Algebra 1 in 8th and Geometry in 9th. He did great in Algebra 1, but again I see the huge growth in his mental capacity since taking Algebra 1. He is now so much more capable and I am so happy Algebra 2 starts off with a review. I am sure he will understand Algebra with much more clarity.

Camilla

Guest cherylcoppin

Why not think outside the box? Work on Geometry 4 days a week and on the fifth day do a lesson from the Algebra 2 book. The beginning of the book is usually review anyway. This will keep the student's algebra skills fresh while still allowing them to finish Geometry in time for their testing.

Why not think outside the box? Work on Geometry 4 days a week and on the fifth day do a lesson from the Algebra 2 book. The beginning of the book is usually review anyway. This will keep the student's algebra skills fresh while still allowing them to finish Geometry in time for their testing.

This is what I was wondering. Would it be okay to do Geometry & Alg 2 simultaneously? Especially if we're behind....

For my two older girls I did Algebra I - Geometry - Algebra II.

My youngest tends to lose anything that she isn't constantly working on. I will probably have her do Geometry and Algebra II simultaneously over a two-year period. I would probably have her do something like Geometry on MWF and Algebra II on TuTh and then switch to just Algebra II once the Geometry was finished.

We did one each way with my two older boys with no problems at all from either.

However, if I were doing it all over again, I'd do Alg 2 and Geometry at the same time to keep all skills fresh. If the student wanted, both could be completed in 1 year (2 math credits that year). If they didn't want to do this I'd have them do a half credit in each for 2 years. They'd alternate either daily, weekly, or "chapterly" as they wanted. To me, it's an ideal way to keep all math skills going prior to Pre-Calc and the standardized tests.

We did one each way with my two older boys with no problems at all from either.

However, if I were doing it all over again, I'd do Alg 2 and Geometry at the same time to keep all skills fresh. If the student wanted, both could be completed in 1 year (2 math credits that year). If they didn't want to do this I'd have them do a half credit in each for 2 years. They'd alternate either daily, weekly, or "chapterly" as they wanted. To me, it's an ideal way to keep all math skills going prior to Pre-Calc and the standardized tests.

This is what I am considering, but don't know if it will cause problems. I'd like to get about a quarter or halfway through algebra 1 and then slowly begin geometry a day or two a week and then just continue with geometry that way through algebra 2. My daughter will be using the 3rd edition of Saxon if all goes well, so it's not an issue for her, but my son will be using Math Relief or Lial's. He's been getting a fair amount of geometry now that we're supplementing with CLE and I don't want him to forget it all during the year we're doing algebra 1.

Lisa

:iagree: I had my dc do Geometry between Algebra 1 & Algebra 2, and that has worked well for us.

This is how we did it and how I did it in high school too.

My twins were in accelerated math program and took algebra 1 in 8th grade. All students in accelerated math were put in a schedule of taking algebra 2 in 9th and then geometry in 10th. We just did the same progression as they were scheduled to do.

But students not in accelerated took it the "normal" path of algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2.

I took algebra 1 in 9th grade. But I got a D in the second semester (transfered schools and just couldn't fill the gaps). So I volunteered to redo the second semester of algebra 1 in 10th grade, then took algebra 2 in 11th and then geometry in 12th. I wasn't even planning on taking geometry. But that was back in the day and we only were required two years of math... any math-LOL.

I think doing it this way was best for me. I needed to do back to back algebra so I wouldn't have to keep reviewing the algebra while taking geometry in between algebra 1 and 2. But that was just how it worked best for me. I think my Dd is similar in how she learns math. A "gap" year between algebras would have been more work for her.

This is what I think is best, doing algebra 2 and geometry together. Seems that it will take care of minimizing the algebra review.

If taking algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, precalculus sequence... algebra 1 would need to be reviewed for algebra 2.

If taking algebra 1, algebra 2, geometry, precalculus sequence... algebra would need to be reviewed for precalculus.

I plan to have my youngest two do algebra 1 in 8th grade and do geometry and algebra 2 in 9th grade. They are both strong in math so I don't think they will have difficulty with this schedule. Also I may have them do cyber high school that does block semesters. They could do geometry in 1st semester and algebra 2 second semester of 9th grade.