Menu

S/O Thumb or Pacifier

Reading the other thread made me wonder about something.

3 out of my 4 used me rather than a thumb or paci.

Frankly, it drove me crazy. I would have done just about *anything* to get them to take a paci. I didn't sleep well co-sleeping, which led to sleep dep and migraines.

Am I the only one that gets 'touched out' when on demand exclusively nursing? That wished I could bribe an infant into taking a paci, just to not have someone hanging off me for hours at a time?

Don't get me wrong, I nursed them all, I didn't resent it, but what I wouldn't have given for a few hrs sleep without being used as a comfort measure during the first 6 mths :lol:

You are so not alone. My dd is still not sleeping through the night (9 months), but she's not HUNGRY- she just needs to nurse for comfort. I would be sooooo happy if I could get her to take a paci. She wouldn't take a bottle either. And she's not getting the hang of sippy cups. Basically, she won't suck on anything but me. She just chews on the pacis and sippy cups. A couple times (I was VERY desperate) I even dipped the pacis in sugar water. I know, I know- BAD MOMMY. I figured it couldn't be too horrible....they do that in the hospital as a pain killer for babies. It didn't work anyway. So, no, you are not alone.

Thank heavens you responded!

I've been feeling guilty after reading the other thread. :blushing:

The sippy cups that worked for my guys were the ones with the soft spout to start with, not the hard plastic ones. Have you tried one of those?

Reading the other thread made me wonder about something.

3 out of my 4 used me rather than a thumb or paci.

Frankly, it drove me crazy. I would have done just about *anything* to get them to take a paci. I didn't sleep well co-sleeping, which led to sleep dep and migraines.

Am I the only one that gets 'touched out' when on demand exclusively nursing? That wished I could bribe an infant into taking a paci, just to not have someone hanging off me for hours at a time?

Don't get me wrong, I nursed them all, I didn't resent it, but what I wouldn't have given for a few hrs sleep without being used as a comfort measure during the first 6 mths :lol:

Oh lord, yes. I never could sleep with an infant. Would wake up with back aches, head aches....mercy....I loved it when some of mine would take pacifiers. Those first 6 months with most of my babies are a blur of exhaustion.

And I would wean at age 1 because I was so tired of being touched, absolutely needed my body back. Probably selfish, but I have personal space issues.

My boys had pacis from day 1. No nursing problems, no regrets. I gradually took them off the pacis around their first birthdays.

I had seen friends struggle mightily with sleep-deprivation related to all-night comfort nursing. I knew I could not do that -- I have anxiety issues related to sleep deprivation. (I also had friends who loved the around-the-clock nursing and had no problems related to that...everyone is different...)

I know pacifier use isn't seen as 'best' by some, but that doesn't bother me. It worked for us. We had no problems whatsoever related to the pacifiers.

I'm a big believer that (as long as baby is well and cared for) new moms need to do what they need to do -- not what someone else insists is 'best.'

DD still nurses at bed time. She's 2 and a half. When she falls asleep, I pop a paci in her mouth to get her off of my b00k so I can get her into her bed without waking her. It can be done without either, but not if I want more then 1-2 hours of sleep. She's also in the cling onto Mama like a monkey stage, IYKWIM, and I am just not a clingy/touchy person.

I love my kids, I love a hug-- even a few hugs throughout the day, cuddles at story time & liberal hugs & kisses at bed times. I just need SPACE sometimes.

Unfortunately, there's no explaining this to a 2 year old, so poor DH usually gets the blunt end of "Will you all just stop TOUCHING me!" after the kids are asleep. I try to keep this to a minimum as he feels totally rejected when I just need space from everyone. If I can get through a few minutes of him trying to hold my hand and decompress through the stress (Is it strange that DH holding my hand at the end of the day adds to the stress?) I can usually get myself on his level and appreciate adult time as separate from toddler clinging.

Unfortunately, there's no explaining this to a 2 year old, so poor DH usually gets the blunt end of "Will you all just stop TOUCHING me!" after the kids are asleep.

I thought I was the only person who ever said that!!!

This is why I stopped my nursing at age 1. I hated feeling so smothered!!!

I thought I was the only person who ever said that!!!

This is why I stopped my nursing at age 1. I hated feeling so smothered!!!

It's so funny that this would be me now, because DH was always the hands-off type before we had kids, where I was more affectionate. Now that I spend ALL of my time with little people stuck to me... No mas.

And the biggest reason that I've been BFing so long is because (I know this makes me a bad person!) my mother-in-law is adamantly opposed to nursing at all, and ESPECIALLY past 1 year. So I didn't cut her off at a year, and now I don't know if she'll ever let me go!

It's so funny that this would be me now, because DH was always the hands-off type before we had kids, where I was more affectionate. Now that I spend ALL of my time with little people stuck to me... No mas.

And the biggest reason that I've been BFing so long is because (I know this makes me a bad person!) my mother-in-law is adamantly opposed to nursing at all, and ESPECIALLY past 1 year. So I didn't cut her off at a year, and now I don't know if she'll ever let me go!

I've told Wolf not to touch me too.

My MIL was against nursing. Before her first time seeing Tazzie, she *demanded* that I put him on a bottle so she could feed him. Uh, think not!

She's weird. She'd act all grossed out and offended when I nursed, tell me to leave the room (my home, thanks) and I told her if she had an issue with it, *she* could leave.

But she had no problem trying to wedge her face btwn feeding baby and I to give him a kiss goodbye. She's lucky I'm as controlled as I am...I was so tempted to squirt her in the eye!

Yes. I nursed my babies because of the health benefits, but I needed my space! They were all well-fed and are well-adjusted, despite the fact that they didn't have 24/7 access to my body. (I hope that doesn't sound harsh, some people enjoy AP and that's terrific. I didn't.)

Yes. I nursed my babies because of the health benefits, but I needed my space! They were all well-fed and are well-adjusted, despite the fact that they didn't have 24/7 access to my body. (I hope that doesn't sound harsh, some people enjoy AP and that's terrific. I didn't.)

I agree with you. Honestly, I started to wonder if there was something wrong with me for not enjoying having someone attached to me all the time...that I wasn't maternal enough. I love my kids, but constant physical contact at night was really, really hard for me. During the day it didn't bother me so much.

I have tried the soft ones- no go. I can take the suctiony-thing out so that the water just pours out and she loves that, but she gets it EVERYWHERE. I only let her have it in the high chair but it's still like she jumped in a pool when she's through......and I don't even give her very much! Usually I just help her with it.

I guess I'm lucky in that she doesn't want to snuggle all the time- she is a girl on the go. Constantly exploring. When she's tired she wants to nurse, but she almost never cries. She just uses the nursing to relax at night. During the day, it's more like 'let's do this as fast as possible so I can get back to playing'. But she eats lots of solids. Not baby food solids, but 'I want to feed myself' solids. I hadn't been planning on starting solids as early as we did- but she has her own ideas of how things are going to go. She was trying to take things off my plate at 6 months. So that cuts down on the nursing too.

I've told Wolf not to touch me too.

My MIL was against nursing. Before her first time seeing Tazzie, she *demanded* that I put him on a bottle so she could feed him. Uh, think not!

She's weird. She'd act all grossed out and offended when I nursed, tell me to leave the room (my home, thanks) and I told her if she had an issue with it, *she* could leave.

But she had no problem trying to wedge her face btwn feeding baby and I to give him a kiss goodbye. She's lucky I'm as controlled as I am...I was so tempted to squirt her in the eye!

:lol::lol::lol: That is hilarious!!!!

Erm me me me! And two of mine either sucked fingers (DD) or are using a pacifier (DS2), I still get touched out and need my space. Then again DD sucks her fingers but tries to use my skin as a blankie, seriously kid stop pinching me! Actually I had the least issue with it with DS1 who used me as a pacifier, but I think part of that was probably because he was the first and I didn't have any other small ones demanding my attention as well.

Oh and DH gets the whole "Please don't touch me." all the time, which I feel bad about, but after a full day of my three I just need to hide for awhile and not be touched!

But she eats lots of solids. Not baby food solids' date=' but 'I want to feed myself' solids. I hadn't been planning on starting solids as early as we did- but she has her own ideas of how things are going to go. She was trying to take things off my plate at 6 months. So that cuts down on the nursing too.[/quote']

Tazzie was like that. No way would he eat baby food, he wanted what we had!

:lol::lol::lol: That is hilarious!!!!

At the time' date=' not so much. I still shudder thinking about it, honestly :lol:[/b']

I sometimes felt that way. When I was sleeping I wanted my space. But what really annoyed me was my youngest. He breastfeed till 2 1/2? I would sleep naked and be in a nice deep sleep with my little boy tucked into his own bed in his own room.

He would then crawl out of bed. (Mattress on the floor) - I would not wake up.

He would then walk down the hall. - Me still sleeping

Crawl into my bed - Me still sleeping

Snuggle close to me - Still sleeping!

Pull back the blankets - Still sleeping!!

Then latch on to my nipple with a super strength suck - AAAAAAAAhhh Definitely awake!!!

Trust me, that is not a pleasant way to wake up from a deep sleep.