Menu

Help me purge "stuff"!

How do you decide what needs to go when it comes to homeschool supplies or materials? I have 3 bookshelves full of stuff. My room looks cluttered but I really do need to keep everything I have. Is there a way to make everything that I have look neater and still keep it all? Please help. Someone who is more organized than me has to have some ideas. :bigear:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Z4OiBqWf-Fo/Td8HqSXMOwI/AAAAAAAAAb4/0PvrgTWDAL4/s1600/DSCN0376.JPG

Well, I'm in a similar boat. In the past, I've had so much stuff it has become overwhelming. I've decided I don't need to keep it all (nor do I want to). In fact, I don't need to keep most of it.

My plan is: pull it all out, sort by topic (math, history, science, etc...). From each section, pull out only the *essential* items, nothing else. Then, I'm seriously weeding out what is left. So far, I've probably pulled out about 30% of my stuff to keep, about 50% is in the 'get rid of' pile, and I'm still deciding about the other 20% (some items I will keep, hopefully very few).

Well, I'm in a similar boat. In the past, I've had so much stuff it has become overwhelming. I've decided I don't need to keep it all (nor do I want to). In fact, I don't need to keep most of it.

My plan is: pull it all out, sort by topic (math, history, science, etc...). From each section, pull out only the *essential* items, nothing else. Then, I'm seriously weeding out what is left. So far, I've probably pulled out about 30% of my stuff to keep, about 50% is in the 'get rid of' pile, and I'm still deciding about the other 20% (some items I will keep, hopefully very few).

The only thing I worry about is if I'd be getting rid of something that I'll need later on. All of my kids are really young. Ugh, I hate clutter but need stuff. Wish I had a bigger space! :tongue_smilie:

Would you have the resources to replace one of the bookshelves with a cabinet with doors? I am very fortunate that I have a closet in my school room. I still have stuff everywhere because that is how I am, but the little stuff that creates the most visual clutter can go in the closet. If you could put all the odd shaped or small stuff behind closed doors, the open shelves could be just as full but look less cluttered.

The only thing I worry about is if I'd be getting rid of something that I'll need later on. All of my kids are really young. Ugh, I hate clutter but need stuff. Wish I had a bigger space! :tongue_smilie:

I think this is one of the main reasons why we end up with so much stuff.

My dad says "You fill the space you've got."

The only shelf that looks unorganized is the one on the farthest left. You have stuff spilling out of bins that are too small. Get a couple of larger containers for the bins that are overflowing.

Then hang up curtains. I'd go with simple curtains with not a lot of design or bright colors to help ease the eye. Hang those curtains along the top of your shelves and the "clutter" instantly disappear. :001_smile:

Is there anything that you can put away in boxes? Books that you'll need in a couple of years, but aren't using right now? Is there a closet anywhere where you can store things like the games or the stuff you're collecting for science experiments? Other than that, my only suggestion would be, get another bookshelf or get a cabinet with doors to hide some of the stuff. Honestly it doesn't look that bad. I mean, at least it's all tidy and organized, even if it is a bit cluttered.

Looks pretty darned organized to me already! :D

Guess I'm no help.

:iagree: It doesn't look that bad. I do go through all my stuff in closets, shelves, etc. (not just homeschooling stuff) once or twice a year and I try to be realistic about what we actually need, and what has just been sitting there taking up space.

For example: Do the kids really and truly play all of those games on a regular basis? If not, I'd pick 3-4 of the regular games and donate the rest.

It looks like you have 2 Children's Encyclopedia. Do you need both? Are they different from each other?

Can you box up stuff that you know you will not be using right away and store it in another location- like the stuff you are saving for projects, etc?

That's what I would do to tidy up the area a bit and make more room, but really, truly, it doesn't look overwhelming at this point.