Menu

How do you plan your school year when you have a chronic illness?

I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Please be gentle and don't tell me to "just get on with it" or "snap out of it"... I'd love to, but life isn't like that for me. I'm lucky in that I do get good patches, but I've learned, over the years, that overdoing it during the good patches makes the bad patches worse. Just FYI, dh is 100% supportive of HSing, theoretically. On a practical level he does nothing towards it and that's how it is for us, highly unlikely to ever change. There isn’t anyone else who could help out, either (believe me, I’ve thought of – and wished for - that). ETA: We have no money for a part time tutor, unfortunately. Dh also has a long commute to work - 1hr 45mins to 2hrs - and is out of the house from 7am to 7:30pm. We are trying to work towards a big move which will cut down his travel time to a third or quarter of what it is now, but it won't change the fact that he does no teaching.

From time to time, I come across threads about long term teaching plans and general scheduling relating to yearly goals. I think they’re a great idea, and I’d love to be able to have and use plans like this. Once or twice I've sat down and made such plans, but inevitably, sooner or later, I have a bad patch and life grinds to a temporary halt, throwing everything up in the air.

I’ve tried just planning out the weeks without tying them to specific dates - just attempting to set out what I’d like us to achieve over the year – but your average curriculum assumes 32-36 available weeks per year, and I may not get even 25 good (available) weeks.

So here's my question, especially to those who have a chronic illness or who are knowledgeable about how life goes when you have one: how do you make, and KEEP, plans for schoolwork when you never know how you're going to feel from one day to the next? Or do you not worry about it, and just do your best to get through what you can? Do you feel badly for your kids, and wonder whether you should send them to PS instead? :(

(I've worded this specifically for schoolwork, but in reality it affects everything. I'm not a last minute person by nature, but CFS causes me to have to wait to the last minute for any kind of decision and it's something I find very difficult.)

ETA: my dc are: 11yog, 9yog, 5yob, 3yog. The older two, particularly, are brilliant at doing simple meals for us when I'm really bad.

Edited by Hedgehog

I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Please be gentle and don't tell me to "just get on with it" or "snap out of it"... I'd love to, but life isn't like that for me. I'm lucky in that I do get good patches, but I've learned, over the years, that overdoing it during the good patches makes the bad patches worse. Just FYI, dh is 100% supportive of HSing, theoretically. On a practical level he does nothing towards it and that's how it is for us, highly unlikely to ever change. There isn’t anyone else who could help out, either (believe me, I’ve thought of – and wished for - that).

From time to time, I come across threads about long term teaching plans and general scheduling relating to yearly goals. I think they’re a great idea, and I’d love to be able to have and use plans like this. Once or twice I've sat down and made such plans, but inevitably, sooner or later, I have a bad patch and life grinds to a temporary halt, throwing everything up in the air.

I’ve tried just planning out the weeks without tying them to specific dates - just attempting to set out what I’d like us to achieve over the year – but your average curriculum assumes 32-36 available weeks per year, and I may not get even 25 good (available) weeks.

So here's my question, especially to those who have a chronic illness or who are knowledgeable about how life goes when you have one: how do you make, and KEEP, plans for schoolwork when you never know how you're going to feel from one day to the next? Or do you not worry about it, and just do your best to get through what you can? Do you feel badly for your kids, and wonder whether you should send them to PS instead? :(

(I've worded this specifically for schoolwork, but in reality it affects everything. I'm not a last minute person by nature, but CFS causes me to have to wait to the last minute for any kind of decision and it's something I find very difficult.)

It would be difficult when your children are younger (not sure your ages). For us, Christian Light Education Sunrise for Math, La and Reading has been a lifesaver. We have a quiz or test every Friday (even though some LU have 17 lessons - we speed through the last reviews before the test). So each of the 10 Lu has 2 quizzes and 2 tests. CLE is meant to be written to the child and the child grades his own lesson with the answer key. The teachers grades the quizzes and tests, obviously, and they comprise their grades. The way I schedule CLE (with quizzes and tests every Friday) the 10 LU take 30 weeks. We save the last weeks to finish projects, other workbooks, review, and go through study skills like our outlining workbooks right now! I have always graded my children's daily CLE lessons, together with them and my trusty red pen. But, I don't have to - so if I'm in the hospital or at an appt. they can do it themselves.

I make my 36 week schedule ahead of time for all subjects including detailed TQ history plans. They can continue on without me when necessary. I make sure I'm in reading widely the teacher recommendations in order to discuss worldview with them. Latin and upper sciences are new to us next year, but I'm sure with a detailed lesson plans/schedules given to the children, they will carry on when I can't be involved. Otherwise, I plan on listening to Latin dvd lessons with my own workbook too! For upper maths, I plan on getting Chalkdust with Dana Mosely dvd's to carry us along.

I hope that gives you a glimpse at how another family does it. I can mostly be involved every day. If I was really struggling to be involved, I would enroll my children without any hesitation. No shame in that imo...

Edited by LNC

Summary of how I do it: I plan each school subject separately, until the book or course is done. How many weeks it takes varies.

I use Microsoft Outlook for school work. I make a calendar page for each day of the week. The calendar pages have dates on them but I ignore them. It is not uncommon here to hear someone ask "What day of the week is it for school?" because it might be Wednesday in real life but Friday in our school work. And at this point, it isn't unusual for me to get two different answers because dd9 and ds13 have gone at a different pace.

It also isn't unusual for us to do half days of school if I'm not feeling well. So the kids might do the more independent stuff on my bad days and the next day (hopefully) we'll do the stuff that needs my input.

Re. life in general. I have what I call my "emergency mode". In my house on emergency mode, the beds need to be made (my bed is a futon in the living room so this is more important to me than in a house where I could just close the door), the kitchen needs to be clean, at least one load of laundry needs to go through (because we run out of clean clothes if we don't) and meals need to be provided for in some way. If I'm really bad, I delegate all of this. The kids know how to fold up and put away my bed and I do as much as I can. It takes less than 5 min. with us working together. Both kids know how to clean the kitchen or I will do it in 5 min. increments - as long as it is clean by the time dh comes home at night, I'm good. Both kids know how to operate the washer and dryer. This task takes more out of me in lifting and bending so it is the one that most often gets delegated. Both my kids can and do make breakfast and lunch. If we have leftovers, people can provide that for themselves too or we just heat up all the leftovers and put them out as "potluck". Or I will call and ask dh to pick up a cooked chicken. The kids can put on the rice cooker and microwave veggies. Not the best - but fine for emergency mode days.

I don't have a chronic illness, but I do have a crazy life with two kids involved in serious dance. Some days (and months) are rehearsal and performance-heavy, and on those days (and months) we either do little or nothing at all. We've learned to tweak academic schedules, and not play into the recreating the ps school calendar game. After all, that's one of the beauties of homeschooling - flexibility.

Plan loosely, teach independence, and realize your limitations. Everyone has something, whether it's illness, family issues, time-consuming activities, or a child who moves at a snail's pace (ask me how I know about that one. ;))

:grouphug:

I have asthma. This years \i've had some disruptions because I'm tired from not sleeping the night before and taking antihistamines and steroids makes you drowsy. I am lucky I have a young child. However, I take it easy. I have decided to school all year round. This means I feel I have a bit more time to reach my yearly goals. Also I encourage independent work whenever and wherever I can.

Must say I also have a star of a husband who helps out around the house. Bless him! Good luck and don't be so hard on yourself. Whenever you feel lonely and ovewhelmed come here and chat with us. We'll give you a :grouphug:

I find it is so important to pray and plan. I try to have as much work as possible that can be done without me, so that I can rest. Even on bad days I can usually find 1/2 hour to check work and encourage. There is always some reading, CDs to listen to, videos to watch, etc. I never know how the next day will be, so when I do have a good day, I do try to get a lot done and be available for relationship. I am always re-evaluating where we are, what HAS to get done, etc. The one thing I make sure I do is watch their MUS video with them, so I can help if they have any problems with their math. We have only had to put that off once or twice this year.

Yes, I just do the best I can! I do feel guilty at times, but they assure me they are fine! My kids are older so I get lots of help with household work, meals, etc.

I have never considered PS to be the answer to any question. Really! Never in 20 years of homeschooling.

Blessings,

I don't have a chronic illness, but I have homeschooled through many pregnancies when I felt so miserable that we had to take time off of school. I'm currently going through one of those pregnancies and using CLE has been a life saver. My kids can get the basics done: math, language arts, and reading pretty independently without needing a whole lot from me. That has allowed us to do school on some days that otherwise I would not be up to doing school.

We also school year-round and I don't plan. We make the most of the days that are available for schooling, and I take time off when I need to. This is how I've always done it and my kids' education has not suffered even though we have had long breaks at times. The neat thing is that even when we aren't doing "school" they are still learning. It might look more like just playing or watching TV but they learn stuff from that too. And most of the TV we watch is at least somewhat educational.

I've had my elementary kids in public school and I think homeschooling with a chronic illness would be easier. Having the kids in school took a lot out of me. I had a nice long break in the middle of the day, but I also had to get up early to get them to school, pick them up from school, and then spend just as much time with them working on homework as I had previously spent homeschooling. It was overall a much more stressful lifestyle.

Susan in TX

same problem - except it's DD with the chronic illness, not me.

I plan a week at a time. Sunday afternoon is my general planning time, but that can vary. I write the assignments for each day in DD's planner and gather the materials for the coming week. DD checks the assignments off as she finishes them. When a bad day or days comes along (and they always do!), we just pick up where we left off when she is feeling better.

In your case, I would look for more independent materials (things they can do while you are flat-out on the couch). Plan a few days ahead on your good days so you have some cushion of assignments laid out for when the bad days come.

I'm going to add in here that I have Lupus, but my daughters both have Tourette Syndrome. So I'm learning how to work with that too. I have to push them or they get less and less done. I also have to be able to read the situation, (sometimes it's just being aware of oncoming tics) and know when to alter the assignment or say "let's try again tomorrow". But my main motivator everyday is how much work can I get out of this family, given todays health situation?

The first thing is I make sure the classroom is cozy. I especially love my chair and ottoman. I keep a heating pad and small soft blanket right next to it too.

I try hard to keep the classroom clean, and thanks to Halcyon's spring cleaning thread this year I got crazy motivated to organize. I never want to feel frustrated or overwhelmed in here. Oh, and lighting! I work the lighting so that it's calm and cool.

I fill out their planner (by hand) once a week. Math and ILL have to get done 4 days a week. Chapter books, Piano and violin everyday.

For me it's all about figuring out what is the bare minimum school work that gives me peace? On a bad week they've done math, grammar/writing, piano and violin (incl. class), made progress on their chapter book, and went to fencing and archery classes. To me that's great! Especially since I know other things are getting done through the week.

I purposely choose independent type curriculum for the obvious reasons. But looking back I can honestly say that those choices haven't held them back in any way or given them a less than challenging schedule. Even though they do a lot of reading and working on their own, we still have a very tight knit class. I'm still present. I just have to choose wisely what I'm going to do with them, or what I'm going to read out loud.

This was my heart break this year.. I really came to terms with not being able to read aloud like I want to. But, in spirit of "finding what is working", I realized that my kids love to read coffee table type books.

I'll give you an example of how we solved our SOTW problem.

We did ancients this year, and by the end of the year we were doing just the basics. CD/color on Mon, map on Tues, narration and Q/A on Wed, CD again on Thurs, test on Fri. All of this was quick and easy for kids. I managed to read a few good (longer) books, then by the end of the year they were reading everything on their own, and I also started supplementing with coffee table books on ancient art of China, King Tut treasure.. things like that. We also started watching documentaries too. I waited until the end of the year to do our timelime. So that's how we're ending the year, reviewing by listening to the cds from the beginning and filling in timelines.

I did the same thing in science. We've chugged along with Microscope Adventures, taking breaks to do other fun little unit studies when we needed a break. I also added the coffee table books in (on other subjects) to break it up. When I'm exhausted, I have them read. They've also learned to love science programs on Netflix. So... we will finish the one important science goal (to master the microscope), but they learned a lot of interesting things on their own too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I have to stick to my guns for what HAS TO GET DONE by the end of the school year(ish :D). But I'm flexible about how and when. We're going to be using our summer to wrap up some stuff too... and that's okay.

Another change this year is my husband is taking the kids to all classes (except music). I haven't been able to drive very far so he's taken over this job.

It's changed my life!! He's never helped with schooling, but now... WOW!! HUGE burden taken off me. I guess that's one good thing about not being able to drive. :001_smile:

:grouphug: to you. Everyone is just doing the best they can. I say quality over quantity. Stress is not good for chronic illness. Breath, smile, cuddle, relax your body. There is no perfect homeschooler. :grouphug:

I can relate. I've just come off a several month down period w/ chronic fatigue. (with an awesome doctor and a low dose of armour thyroid)

My husband completely took over the education while I was struggling. Before that (in the years of just lower than baseline energy) I planned school for early in the morning when I was at my peak. Stuff that didn't get done one day would be first the next. Putting subjects that don't require a continued teaching effort from me - math, handwriting for the youngers - helped make sure it got done when I was waning. My 10 year old is very good at fixing lunch, too.

I'm sorry you're struggling with this. It's very wearing.

Thank you so much for all the replies. I'm just going to comment on a few.. things that have prompted thoughts..

LNC - Unfortunately, we don't have the money to change any of our curricula at the moment. In some ways I'd like to try something else, but then it'd mean learning how to teach something different, which would take precious time and energy, and besides, what we are using now does work really well for both the kids and me - when we do it. But thanks for the thought; I'll bear it in mind, and perhaps have a little look at it over time.

Summary of how I do it: I plan each school subject separately, until the book or course is done. How many weeks it takes varies.

I use Microsoft Outlook for school work. I make a calendar page for each day of the week. The calendar pages have dates on them but I ignore them. It is not uncommon here to hear someone ask "What day of the week is it for school?" because it might be Wednesday in real life but Friday in our school work. And at this point, it isn't unusual for me to get two different answers because dd9 and ds13 have gone at a different pace.

It also isn't unusual for us to do half days of school if I'm not feeling well. So the kids might do the more independent stuff on my bad days and the next day (hopefully) we'll do the stuff that needs my input.

I've wondered about doing something like this. Do you use some kind of loop schedule, Jean?

Re. life in general. I have what I call my "emergency mode". In my house on emergency mode, the beds need to be made (my bed is a futon in the living room so this is more important to me than in a house where I could just close the door), the kitchen needs to be clean, at least one load of laundry needs to go through (because we run out of clean clothes if we don't) and meals need to be provided for in some way. If I'm really bad, I delegate all of this. The kids know how to fold up and put away my bed and I do as much as I can. It takes less than 5 min. with us working together. Both kids know how to clean the kitchen or I will do it in 5 min. increments - as long as it is clean by the time dh comes home at night, I'm good. Both kids know how to operate the washer and dryer. This task takes more out of me in lifting and bending so it is the one that most often gets delegated. Both my kids can and do make breakfast and lunch. If we have leftovers, people can provide that for themselves too or we just heat up all the leftovers and put them out as "potluck". Or I will call and ask dh to pick up a cooked chicken. The kids can put on the rice cooker and microwave veggies. Not the best - but fine for emergency mode days.

I edited my OP.. just to say that my older two girls are brilliant on the domestic front, keeping things going (basic cleaning and meals) if I'm having a really bad patch. I honestly don't know what I'd do without them.

I have asthma. This years \i've had some disruptions because I'm tired from not sleeping the night before and taking antihistamines and steroids makes you drowsy. I am lucky I have a young child. However, I take it easy. I have decided to school all year round. This means I feel I have a bit more time to reach my yearly goals. Also I encourage independent work whenever and wherever I can.

Must say I also have a star of a husband who helps out around the house. Bless him! Good luck and don't be so hard on yourself. Whenever you feel lonely and ovewhelmed come here and chat with us. We'll give you a :grouphug:

Thank you - your post brought a big smile to my face :001_smile:

Independent work is our saving, for sure. With 4 dc, a necessity! Dh does help out a little around the house.. when he feels like it. I can't rely on him doing anything regularly. That's just how it is.. I'm not going there ladies.. I know it's not allowed.. ;)

One or two of you have mentioned the use of TV, DVDs, CDs, etc. in the education of your dc. Where I'm not really for or against this, the programs I've chosen don't use much technology to teach. When I was choosing curricula, the technology element wasn't critical, and it just so happened that the ones I picked are all books, with the exception of History (SOTW), Latin for Children/SSL, and Nallenart French (we use the Audio CDs). Again, back to one of my PPs, we don't actually have the money to change anything now, so I think we are just going to have to suck it up. I think I might be posting on the K-8/Logic Stage board about making our chosen programs more independent, though.

Year Round Schooling - we are doing this, simply because we are only really working on the weeks I am well enough to teach. But I am wondering whether I need to change my approach somewhat, and devise some kind of loop schedule combined with a double schedule - one plan for my good times, one plan for my bad times...

I have had classic symptoms of CFS since a long illness 7 years ago. I just never got "myself" back and have been struggling with crippling fatigue ever since. I've had any number of tests done that show nothing abnormal. This was such a blow to our homeschooling plans (not that things were perfect beforehand-- but at least I had energy to confront the problems each day) that I ended up putting them in school. This was not much of a relief as adhering to the schedules, requirements, various problems that cropped up (2 of my children were badly bullied), having to tutor/ help anyway every night for about as long as it would take to homeschool, just left me as exhausted as I had been before, plus I had to wake up at 6am no matter how battered I felt. I gradually ended up having to take all the kids out of school-- 2 were bullied, 1 was desperately unhappy, and for the 4th, the tuition had skyrocketed.

Even though my children are willing to do it, I cannot keep up with a "school at home" schedule. So to make a long story short, this is our current schedule:

We school Monday-Saturday-- the extra day allows for us to pick up an slack that might have been lost during the week. We also do school year round, though I am more laid back during good weather months. Every day they have to do all subjects in S.O.S.. I really don't like this curriculum but it can be done even on my worst days, because all I have to do is make sure they actually completed it, and have them rework anything they did poorly on. They also do Rosetta Stone on the computer.

We also have MFW, Veritas History, Spelling Power, WTM, English from the Roots Up, Writing Strands, Singapore & Saxon, and a few other programs that require more preparation and interaction from me. I do these things on my good days. I tend to be a month on/ month off in terms of energy.

So if this making any sense, they get the "required" every day basics from SOS and the richer learning from the other programs. I also am very strict about TV and video game use-- this sort of forces them to do a lot of reading and creative play on their own. We go to the library every week (this is the one thing my husband helps me with) so that adds to the experience too. Mon-Fri TV and VG are allowed only from 4pm-7pm (my teens have more freedom though, but never before 4pm).

It has been really hard to let go of my homeschooling fantasy and accept that this is what it's going to be, but I know they are having a better experience than when they were in school, and I can only hope a better education too.

I wanted to add, too, that the kids are required to clean up after themselves and to help clean common areas (like bathrooms). I pay my older two kids to do mother's helper work-- babysitting (with me in the house), dishes, puting away laundry, etc..

Edited by butterflymommy