Menu

Growing blueberries

I was thinking about getting a couple of blueberry bushes for our yard. I've read that highbush blueberries are the best for our zone, and that they do better if they can cross-pollinate. My biggest concern are birds. If you have a blueberry bush or two, do the birds just eat them up? (If so, I sadly won't bother.) Any tips or advice about this venture?

You need two different varieties. The birds do enjoy my blueberries! So do the neighborhood kids. I have seven bushes and harvest a lot of blueberries - still have some in my freezer from last year! It took about three - four years for the small bushes to really get to full size and produce. You can buy bigger bushes to start with if you perfer.

They don't spread. Think of them as hedges. Raspberries are more like single stems growing from the ground.

Blueberry bushes are beautiful in the fall, too: I miss ours! Love those blueberries! (That reminds me... I need to plant some here at our new place!)

We had blueberries at our old house and I miss them so much!! They were the best fun for the kids. We never had problems with the birds attacking them. We had them planted near our house (along the back wall) and we kept a high bird feeder farther in the middle to back of the yard. Birds would come to the bird feeder but not that close to the house. I think my two dogs also helped keep them away. They would be quick to pounce on a bird hanging out that low for too long.

Blueberries grow very well in Oregon. We have 3 bushes and have never had a problem with birds. Our local blueberry farms do just fine without netting. But I imagine this can vary from location to location. You might ask your local nursery what you need to do in your area. The cheapest way to start up is to plant bare root bushes which are available here in February. Once the nursery pots them they are more expensive.